BajaNomad

Malarrimo in GN

Marc - 4-20-2019 at 02:29 PM

Last time at Malarrimo in 2017 we were kept awake most of the night by bar/disco across the street that was blasting away with really awful music. The night guard told me when he calls the police they do nothing. Has anyone has a similar experience there lately? I will be going through soon.

Howard - 4-20-2019 at 03:24 PM

Have you considered staying at Terra Sol instead?

[Edited on 4-20-2019 by Howard]

BajaRat - 4-20-2019 at 09:23 PM

We were there last November , no disco music but maybe it wasn't the weekend .
Same great Waiters that have been there for years but unfortunately no manos de leon . Some folks and reports claim the whole population has been effectively whiped out in the Ojo de Libre lagoon by disease or ?
Lionel :cool:

wilderone - 4-21-2019 at 07:53 AM

Several years ago I saw HUGE piles of manos de leon shells a bit south of GN near the highway on both sides - a few piles were at least 7' x 10' - smaller piles one after another for 50 yards. I stopped to pick up a few. I'd say they were probably wiped out by fishermen - maybe even in one season.

David K - 4-21-2019 at 08:35 AM

Isn't easier to say "scallops" or is there a difference with the manos de leon (lion's paw) variety?

[Edited on 4-21-2019 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 4-21-2019 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Last time at Malarrimo in 2017 we were kept awake most of the night by bar/disco across the street that was blasting away with really awful music.

This is part of Mexican culture. It occurs in every small town on Friday and Saturday nights and extends far past midnight. We who live here have learned to accept it and embrace it. Mexicans like to party often and loudly, with loudspeakers turned up. That's just how it is.

mtgoat666 - 4-21-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Isn't easier to say "scallops" or is there a difference with the manos de leon (tiger's paw) variety?

Dk,
Sometimes people use specific names of animals in speech or writing instead of simple general names like “scallop.”

For example, when talking about mt lions, many people us the term “mt lion” or “cougar” instead of the simple, less-descriptive term “cat.”

JZ - 4-21-2019 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

This is part of Mexican culture. It occurs in every small town on Friday and Saturday nights and extends far past midnight. We who live here have learned to accept it and embrace it. Mexicans like to party often and loudly, with loudspeakers turned up. That's just how it is.

That is true, Thursday nights as well, but you can find places that are away from the action.

We stay at La Mision in Loreto partly for this reason. There are signs saying "Absolut Silence after 10PM." (Funny how they misspell absolute on nice engraved signs.) I like a party more than the next person, but not where I'm sleeping.

Howard - 4-21-2019 at 09:29 AM

David, with all due respect to your map making and contributions to this site, "if your a shoemaker, fix shoes." Stick to what you know best.

In marketing, the sizzle sells the steak and what sound better and exotic to you, "scallops" or "Mano de Leon?" I have always found the Manos del Leon excellent there and there was a few years that they passed off small ones as that dish but around 8 months ago had a great dish with large Manos del Leon.

By the way, I was always under the impression the Manos del Leon meant paws of the lion, not tiger. Wouldn't it be call Manos de Tigre?

David K - 4-21-2019 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
David, with all due respect to your map making and contributions to this site, "if your a shoemaker, fix shoes." Stick to what you know best.

In marketing, the sizzle sells the steak and what sound better and exotic to you, "scallops" or "Mano de Leon?" I have always found the Manos del Leon excellent there and there was a few years that they passed off small ones as that dish but around 8 months ago had a great dish with large Manos del Leon.

By the way, I was always under the impression the Manos del Leon meant paws of the lion, not tiger. Wouldn't it be call Manos de Tigre?

It was a QUESTION... I wanted to know, I never heard Lion's Paw at a Mexican restaurant, only scallops. Happy Easter to you too. Man o man..

JZ - 4-21-2019 at 09:49 AM

Where can the above referenced "Manos del Leon" be found in GN?

Howard - 4-21-2019 at 10:04 AM

At the restaurant in the subject line, Malarrimo in GN. At the hotel restaurant.

I'm not a big fan of Mararimmo in general but their Manos de Leon in garlic and butter are usually excellent and large.

JZ - 4-21-2019 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
At the restaurant in the subject line, Malarrimo in GN. At the hotel restaurant.

I'm not a big fan of Mararimmo in general but their Manos de Leon in garlic and butter are usually excellent and large.

Thx for the pro tip.

Howard - 4-21-2019 at 11:23 AM

Lencho, thank you for the informative reading. I Googled it and it clears it all up. Now that I have learned my one thing for the day I can rationalize an early siesta.

So the reference isn't because of the size, just the shape?

Please be careful on your answer as 2 new things in one day might put me into overload. :biggrin:

Howard - 4-21-2019 at 11:40 AM

Tene Tin na'atik

(Thank you Google)

bajabuddha - 4-21-2019 at 11:50 AM

Lencho, there are actually several kinds of scallops. The Catarina are the small thumbnail sized ones, super tender. There's another that's in a fan-type shell, and the shell is prized for the nacre produced on the inside, and also totally protected from harvest as they were overfished years ago.

The two large muscled scallops are Penn Scallops and Rock scallops, also known as Purple Lipped scallops. In Baja Sur I never did hear of 'Manos de Leon' in all the years of going south. The Penn (Manos) was known as Ancha, and the purple lipped as Acha... the latter more prized and a wee bit more tender.

Even more prized was not the 'puro' muscle, but the 'talon' found at the hinge of the shell. I wouldn't buy the 'puro' muscle, the 'talon' was way more tender and delicious, not to mention a little cheaper cost as the'puro' muscle is what most wanted. That's because they never had (or heard of) the talon.

mtgoat666 - 4-21-2019 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Isn't easier to say "scallops" or is there a difference with the manos de leon (lion's paw) variety?

David--

There are at least two different kinds of "scallops" found in BCS, and they're different.

Almeja Catarina (Argopecten ventricosus)
Almeja Mano de León (Nodipecten subnudosus)

If you insist on speaking English at a restaurant in Mexico :rolleyes: and just ask for "scallops", I suspect they could legitimately serve you either variety, but you might be disappointed in the former.

Many times in Baja Mexicans translate callo de hacha as “scallop.” It ain’t a scallop, though it is a muscle of a big bivalve, so is sort of scallop-like.

I think “Almeja” translates as clam, at least that’s the way I understand it, and clams and scallops are different in English.

Learn some Spanish, DK!

msteve1014 - 4-21-2019 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Where can the above referenced "Manos del Leon" be found in GN?

They can also be had at the restaurant on the right side of the main road as you first come in to town. Don't remember the name. Or the seafood distributor across from the electrical switch yard.

David K - 4-21-2019 at 02:01 PM

Lencho, you answered the question I asked, but don't assume when I typed "scallops" it means I order in English. I speak enough Spanish to order most things. I just have never noticed mano de XXX on a menu. Maybe because I wasn't looking fot it?

The word for scallops is hacha or vieira. Yes, goat, I know about the hacha clam found in the Sea of Cortez. The meat inside is pretty close to a traditional scallop.

bajabuddha - 4-21-2019 at 02:21 PM

DK, the word for scallops is CALLOS (pronounced KAY-os).

[Edited on 4-21-2019 by bajabuddha]

mtgoat666 - 4-21-2019 at 02:29 PM

Lencho, you answered the question I asked, but don't assume when I typed "scallops" it means I order in English. I speak enough Spanish to order most things. I just have never noticed mano de XXX on a menu. Maybe because I wasn't looking fot it?

The word for scallops is hacha or vieira. Yes, goat, I know about the hacha clam found in the Sea of Cortez. The meat inside is pretty close to a traditional scallop.

Hacha is hatchet.
The callo de hacha meat is in my opinion much different than traditional scallops gringos are familiar with...

bajabuddha - 4-21-2019 at 04:18 PM

Yeppers, that's purty nit-picky. ;)

All the restaurants in BCS I've ever visited listed CALLOS on the menu.

Enough said. :smug:

bajabuddha - 4-21-2019 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
All the restaurants in BCS I've ever visited listed CALLOS on the menu
I believe you, but seeing that I wouldn't be sure what they were going to serve me. Do you know if "callos" alone generally refers to a specific variety?

I always asked, "es callos de hacha o hancha (ancha?)?

Picky, picky, picky! :biggrin:

btw, I've harvested a few of both hacha and hancha over the years, and still my fave were the talones. Ever had em? If not, I highly recommend them. I'd cook em in a (green box) Nutri Leche sauce ( w/ a lil corn starch) and mucho ajo with basil and tarragon, tons of queso del parmesano and some burned butter to start it all off with. Mui delicioso.

BajaMama - 4-22-2019 at 05:52 AM

Best ear plugs - "Sparkplugs" - I never travel w/o them!

KurtG - 4-22-2019 at 07:35 AM

All the restaurants in BCS I've ever visited listed CALLOS on the menu
I believe you, but seeing that I wouldn't be sure what they were going to serve me. Do you know if "callos" alone generally refers to a specific variety?

I always asked, "es callos de hacha o hancha (ancha?)?

Picky, picky, picky! :biggrin:

btw, I've harvested a few of both hacha and hancha over the years, and still my fave were the talones. Ever had em? If not, I highly recommend them. I'd cook em in a (green box) Nutri Leche sauce ( w/ a lil corn starch) and mucho ajo with basil and tarragon, tons of queso del parmesano and some burned butter to start it all off with. Mui delicioso.

Talones de hacha are good for ceviche also.

shari - 4-22-2019 at 12:03 PM

The prized Lion's Paw Scallops have been off menu's for a couple years now as the fishery is closed in Guerreo Negro in hopes of the species can recover in the lagoon. It was nearly wiped out from poaching and disease. So what you get now is also deicious...callo de hacha...the next best thing. Always ask which scallops they serve...(although they often tell a fib) the catarina are the small ones...also yummy.

Yes there is a new cantina across from Malarrimo so weekend noise will be more than before.

Udo - 4-23-2019 at 11:10 AM

In the Ensenada area, they are called "CALLOS".

You figure it out!

pacificobob - 4-23-2019 at 11:22 AM

hacha=ax

pacificobob - 4-23-2019 at 11:27 AM

party noise, like the smell of burning trash, are as much a part of the Mexican experience
as tacos and tequila.

some folks are better off in an American suburb where they have the freedom to dial up the cops and make their neighbors stop having fun.

David K - 4-23-2019 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

hacha=ax

I didn't invent the words, they came from a Spanish to English dictionary site.

I know 'hacha' is hatchet/ax, in English (as well). It is a variety of scallop in Baja (Hatchet clam).

'Callo' translates to foot callus or toe corn, as well as a term for ugly.