BajaNomad

New restaurant in Modesto- Baja connection

thebajarunner - 5-6-2019 at 08:55 AM

Local guy, Jaime Jimenez, is starting an upscale restaurant in Modesto. And this quote from the Modesto Bee:

"The restaurant’s somewhat unusual name, W. Stuart C. Steakhouse, honors Jimenez’s great-grandfather — William Stuart Cunningham. He immigrated from Scotland to New York in the late 1800s and then settled in Mexico’s Baja California in the early 1900s. There he started a successful cattle business."

Article said he had 200 employees in his Baja cattle operation.... that is a very large deal....

Anyone know where his cattle spread was located?

chuckie - 5-6-2019 at 09:24 AM

He was born inBrooklyn NY and died in Loreto. He had 4 or 6 children Family names of Verdugo-Perpuli-Berano...Some of the family is buried in San Jose de Comundu.....May be some distant cousins still living around Tecate...

David K - 5-6-2019 at 01:13 PM

Doing a search on Google, one gets this hit (from Ancestry forums):

My g-grandmother's name was Emigdia Verdugo Meza and she was buried in Comondu. I'm not sure of the date. Her parents names were Jose and Virginia Verdugo. She had 6 children by my g-grandfather William Stuart Cunningham. Their names were
Virginia (my grandmother) b. 1893, Enrique b.1894, Guillermo b. 1896, Ricardo b. 1898, Elisa b. 1900, and Carlos b. 1902. They lived in and around Loreto and Comondu. I am looking for more information regarding the Verdugo and Cunningham families. I hope this helps your search for Verdugo connections.

chuckie - 5-6-2019 at 01:20 PM

What I said.....Thanks, your holiness, for sanctifying it...

BajaBlanca - 5-6-2019 at 01:40 PM

wow! what a great family history.