BajaNomad

A Bit of Trivia from the Apollo 11 Moon Mission

TMW - 7-25-2019 at 11:35 AM

The 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Mission...

Piece of trivia to go along with all the other information....

What did Neil Armstrong really say when he took his first step on the moon?

Millions on Earth who listened to him on TV or radio heard this:

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

But after returning from space, Armstrong said that wasn’t what he had planned to say. He said there was a lost word in his famous one-liner from the moon: “That’s one small step for ‘a’ man.” It’s just that people just didn’t hear it because of static."

So one of the most iconic lines in history was misheard... who knew?

StuckSucks - 7-25-2019 at 01:21 PM

I am now ready to play Jeopardy!

First Words Broadcast from the Surface of the Moon

MrBillM - 7-25-2019 at 06:23 PM

" Contact light ... okay, engine stop"

Buzz Aldrin.

ehall - 7-26-2019 at 02:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13DN0DVs_o4 Buzz Aldrin demands respect!

ehall - 7-26-2019 at 02:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13DN0DVs_o4 Buzz Aldrin demands respect!

surfhat - 7-27-2019 at 03:08 PM

In '68 over Christmas vacation, as I did for most of my college years in NC, I would drive down to Florida for some warm weather and waves.

Christmas '68 my girlfriend and another couple were camping around Sebastian Inlet and Cocoa Beach when we met a city councilman for Melbourne Beach. He invited the four us to his home for dinner to meet he and his wife and hoo four beautiful daughters.

As the Apollo 8 flight was about to take off in the next couple of days, he invited us to join him and his family to watch the lift off from the closest place possible inside of the base.

It was spectacular watching the sound waves move across the flat land between us and the gantry. What a thrill it was, and thanks to this generous man for sharing it with us college kids that he had just met. Somewhere I have a photo of the lift off, but theist time I tried to find it I was not successful.

I have seen a SpaceX Falcon rocket take off from Vandenberg a year to two ago from a local park here in SD North county that had a killer view over the ocean. It too, was spectacular with all the shapes coming off the rocket as it headed southwest across the evening sky.

This has been a summer for space with so many PBS programs honoring the fifty years since the Apollo 11 flight. I have watched all of them.

I have no desire to venture into space myself, but do love watching how far we have come in the last few decades.

Those that ventured there have returned with the thought that man has to do all he can to preserve this so special planet. They should be listened to. Enough preaching, I am sure. Peace, love and fish tacos.

Bubba - 7-27-2019 at 11:05 PM

Why even analyze
or question it? The greatest nation on Earth was the first to put a man on the Moon. Such an incredible feat...

Paco Facullo - 7-28-2019 at 07:36 AM

And the 2nd. thing that was heard by Neil Armstrong was " Where can a guy get a dry martini around here "?

Bubba - 7-28-2019 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
And the 2nd. thing that was heard by Neil Armstrong was " Where can a guy get a dry martini around here "?

LOL