BajaNomad

Mex. 1 tolls out of TJ to Ensenada still collected?

wilderone - 8-1-2019 at 04:48 PM

Part of a story (on another topic) that I read today, said that shortly after Andres M L Obrador became president, the TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada toll booths were vacated and travelers no long have to pay the toll. It also stated, however, that tow trucks and other services are on duty, as well as ambulance and other maintenance services. "How long this will continue remains to be seen."
Is this true?

David K - 8-1-2019 at 04:52 PM

In Feb (2019), only one toll of the three was collecting as the others had protestors by the booths asking for money... and the toll workers won't cross their lines. 3 days later, going north, two booths were collecting tolls.

Paco Facullo - 8-1-2019 at 05:17 PM

When I passed through in June there was ONLY civilians trying to collect "donations"

I would recommend NOT giving as no one , except those collecting, knows where the money is going ?
My thoughts go to whoever is strongest ( think gangs)..

Unless someone knows different ?

fandango - 8-1-2019 at 06:07 PM

It is still true (on edit)

I travelled southbound and northbound in the last 10 days and tolls were not collected either direction.

Donations accepted though.

[Edited on 8-2-2019 by fandango]

willardguy - 8-1-2019 at 06:10 PM

I try to drop some change in their bucket....I don't know where the money goes that I give the little Indian girl selling Chicklets goes either!

geraldalexander7 - 8-1-2019 at 07:57 PM

I made 2 short trips in July thru the toll road.
No official toll collectors on either trip, only “civilians”
Collecting donations.

billklaser - 8-2-2019 at 06:25 AM

As of last week, tolls were collected at the Ensenada end. Other 2 asking for donations.

del mar - 8-2-2019 at 11:35 AM

it started legit but now turned ugly, big brawl at the rosarito toll yesterday, its the lure of easy money its got a very strong appeal:(

msteve1014 - 8-2-2019 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
As of last week, tolls were collected at the Ensenada end. Other 2 asking for donations.

It may be hit and miss.
I came south on 7/24, no tolls, only donations.

Paco Facullo - 8-2-2019 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
it started legit but now turned ugly, big brawl at the rosarito toll yesterday, its the lure of easy money its got a very strong appeal:(

Hence "the strongest around" Gangs probably. I give to all the Red Cross people asking but just some random people taking over a toll both, I think not..
On my way down last time I gave the 37 Pesos the 1st. booth then less than 10 pesos the next two.

But after really thinking it over I came to the conclusion that it "MOST LIKELY " is going to the strongest gang...

del mar - 8-2-2019 at 10:57 PM

here's the scoop....
https://zetatijuana.com/2019/04/millonario-e-ilicito-negocio...

elgatoloco - 8-3-2019 at 01:56 PM

I choose to not contribute to the cause(s). July 13th southbound Rosarito booth I took a photo of a professionally done banner that said 'help for the people who lost everything in the fire Dios Te Bendiga'