BajaNomad

Loreto Bay NP

BajaMama - 8-8-2019 at 11:25 AM

Howdy, took everyone's recommendations, staying at Oasis end of February for a couple of nights after San Ignacio Whale watch extravaganza. My question is, is the water warm enough in the Loreto Bay NP that time of year for snorkeling? Or should we just plan on renting kayaks and/or taking a boat tour? Who would you recommend for either activity? Are there better things to do??? I have only sportfished in Loreto and that was 10 years ago.

Howard - 8-8-2019 at 11:41 AM

Cold water for some is warm water for others.

If I had to take a guess water temp. will be in the mid to high 60s.

I am from Southern California and that's a little chilly for this sissy boy but people from the Northwest might think of that as a warm bath. :biggrin:

SFandH - 8-8-2019 at 12:58 PM

End of Feb Loreto water temp is too cold for me.

bajabuddha - 8-8-2019 at 01:18 PM

See if the hotel or someone in town rents wet suits. :light:

AKgringo - 8-8-2019 at 01:27 PM

My first exposure to snorkeling along the Cortez coastline was in Feb 1986, and I had no problem, even without a wet suit.

Although I now have much more natural insulation, my metabolism has slowed down, and I don't last long in the water!

JZ - 8-8-2019 at 05:40 PM

It will be pretty chilly to swim. Doable, but cold. If you find a swallow bay the water will be a good bit warmer. The West end of Coranado is an example.

Nothing beats being out on a boat. Lots of options. You can just go down to the marina and find someone. Most will take you out to Coronado for 1,800 pesos. You can get someone to take you down to Danzante for 4,000-5000 pesos.

We rented a 23 foot center console and had them take us about 40 miles up the coast and back for about $400 dollars. We were on the water about 10 hours. Stopped at San Basillo on the way.

Agua Verde is a most do. Drive down. Kayak there, or maybe try to rent a panaa.

BajaMama - 8-8-2019 at 08:51 PM

I so appreciate all the recommendations. AND great to know a little chilly in the water. Personally I like Punta Chivato in June.....or October!

BajaMama - 8-8-2019 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
It will be pretty chilly to swim. Doable, but cold. If you find a swallow bay the water will be a good bit warmer. The West end of Coranado is an example.

Nothing beats being out on a boat. Lots of options. You can just go down to the marina and find someone. Most will take you out to Coronado for 1,800 pesos. You can get someone to take you down to Danzante for 4,000-5000 pesos.

We rented a 23 foot center console and had them take us about 40 miles up the coast and back for about $400 dollars. We were on the water about 10 hours. Stopped at San Basillo on the way.

Any recommendations on where to rent the 23' center console? That sounds ideal! Can they go into the NP or do they need a special permit?

ncampion - 8-9-2019 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Any recommendations on where to rent the 23' center console? That sounds ideal! Can they go into the NP or do they need a special permit?

Try Tim Yaroborough at Loreto Coastal Expiditions (Wantosea.com)

[Edited on 8-9-2019 by ncampion]

bajamary1952 - 8-9-2019 at 09:11 AM

Be careful with stuff you have on the beach there as last time I was there I was warned about people coming on beach & stealing stuff.

defrag4 - 8-9-2019 at 08:12 PM

too cold! wear a wet suit or just take Tims glass bottom boat tour and look down in the water from a nice dry boat

i believe Blue Nation has snorkeling tours that provide wet suits, Monica and Yago are great hosts and run a top tier operation

https://www.bluenationbaja.com/

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by defrag4]

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by defrag4]

wilderone - 8-13-2019 at 08:40 AM

There is a tour company in town that offers several types of tours. You could even go whale watching again at Pto Lopez Mateos. Or rent a car and drive to Mission San Xavier in the mountains. It's a fabulous drive with quintessential Baja landscapes, views.

BajaMama - 8-13-2019 at 10:42 AM

Great recommendations, again, thank you all very much.