BajaNomad

Boats in Loreto

rancho guillermo - 8-12-2019 at 09:53 AM

Okay Nomads, I am taking my 13 year old son Baja fishing for the first time on Labor day weekend in Loreto. We will be staying at the "Oasis" and I need some help with suggestions with Pangas and guides.

Thanks.

Nikno - 8-12-2019 at 10:21 AM

There are several ways to go about it. I have used Loreto Tours in the past. It was easy to set up and I was able to take care of everything via the internet ahead of my arrival and I didn't have to worry about equipment, lunch, etc.

http://www.toursloreto.com/

However, the much cheaper, albeit less reliable approach is to just go down to the docks and find a panga and negotiate a price direct. I would recommend going in the afternoon when they are coming in to secure a boat for the next morning. However, it is possible to show up early in the morning and get a boat as there are almost always guides waiting around for tourists to show up.

Also, I'm sure some people on this forum can share names and numbers of good guides that you can book direct with and bypass the tour operator.

JZ - 8-12-2019 at 10:35 AM

You can just walk down to the marina and get one. Never had a problem and have done it many times.

Coronado is one of the best places to go. 1800 pesos for 4+ hrs. Great to go in the late afternoon. Watch the sunset, easy ride back.

Dazante Island is fun too. 4000-5000 pesos. make some stops on the way down.

There are some center consoles for rent if you want to go further or in more comfort/style. We did an 80 mile round trip on one over about 10 hrs for $400. That you need to make a reservation in advance.

Think about going down to Agua Verde too. Incredible drive down. I've never done it, but I'm sure you can have a panga take you out down there. This is a must do with your kid.

bill erhardt - 8-12-2019 at 11:12 AM

It's kind of tricky just going down to the marina and finding a panguero to take you fishing. The best fisherman are not going to be down there trying to entice tourists and you may well end up with somebody much better at selling services to visiting gringos than acting as a fishing guide.
Two of the best of several good panguero fisherman working out of Loreto are:
Pancho Barracuda (613) 137-9260
Francisco Davis (613) 113-7037
Here are some pics of Francisco on his boat El Pajaro working a double sailfish hook-up/release with a couple of clients (and also the camera). I'm not sure just how he choreographed the two porpoise in the background of the second photo.....

DSC01536.JPG - 92kB DSC01539.JPG - 96kB DSC01540.JPG - 111kB DSC01546.JPG - 87kB DSC01548.JPG - 93kB

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by bill erhardt]

JZ - 8-12-2019 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, we don't fish much. Just like to be out on the ocean, seeing the bays, swimming, etc.

My kids always liked that over fishing.

rancho guillermo - 8-12-2019 at 03:44 PM

Thanks everyone...

Howard - 8-12-2019 at 04:01 PM

I agree with Bill on those 2 captains. If they are busy try my go to guy, Francisco Davis (Yes it's someone else by the same name) at 613 135-0205. I highly recommend him.

The town is full of Davis's and Cunningham's, left over from the days of the pirates have their ways with the locals.

Loretana - 8-12-2019 at 04:28 PM

Bill Erhardt knows what he is talking about. I strongly recommend you take his advice. Have a wonderful visit!!