BajaNomad

Language requirement for residency?

bajaguy - 8-13-2019 at 11:39 AM

Nope

gnukid - 8-13-2019 at 03:20 PM

For each class of residency, temp or permanent there are guidelines or lineamientos published, there is a standard approach with economic income qualifications and there are many variations of these for any number of reasons such as athlete or entertainer, professional or teacher etc a d speaking Spanish can be a point that increases your qualification which may mean the income is not so important. So, no it's not required but it helps. Of course, the Mexican Consulate at your home state is the place to start usually and they may be more tuned into all options, versus INM in Mexico. Once you are approved by the consulate the local INM is simply proceeding and has little say in the matter.

shari - 8-13-2019 at 07:47 PM

Lencho....I must have had an audience with the same Dragon Lady for my first FM3...she was a monster and even made me cry a little!

Lee - 8-13-2019 at 09:18 PM

No Spanish for my RP but lots of paper work and financial records for 3 recent years. Don't recall the minimum income they wanted to see but thought it was high.

PaulW - 8-14-2019 at 07:25 AM

Language is only an issue if you do the PR/TR as a DIY project. The paperwork is 100% spanish and you will need more than Google to figure it out. Typically several trips to the Migration office will clear up the translation. For DIY go to the Migration office and get the links for the computerized forms. Print them and fill them out. Plan on several trips to get it all correct.
Hire someone to do the paperwork and the language issue disappears. Mexico does not care if you speak or read Spanish. No interview is required.

gnukid - 8-14-2019 at 09:17 AM

There are guidelines for PR/TR separate from the commonly shared list of base requirements. There are 8 qualities or characteristics qualified as points to surpass the requirements.

No, you don't need to speak Spanish, but if you do and you demonstrate clear knowledge of the language, history, culture, geography and have skills which are needed and helpful such as professional skills (STEP) or are a teacher, artist or athlete of high caliber, then the other requirements are no longer important, there are called lineamentos de residencia.

There is a number to call in Mexico City if you have more questions not answered by the INM or consulate about guidelines. To be clear there is a large class of PR/TR who do not need income demonstrated to pass, but you need to have qualities that would improve the community and country and be in good standing. Spanish is a big part of it, if you go in and speak Spanish you are a long way there. At least try. You should also print out the requirements and understand how and why you qualify, carry the requirements in a folder and show that you are qualified and have read and understand the current standards.

Start here: https://www.gob.mx/sre/acciones-y-programas/visa-de-residenc...

In general, they are required to provide a translator Spanish to English as well during the process.

[Edited on 8-14-2019 by gnukid]

PaulW - 8-14-2019 at 09:42 AM

Hire someone to do the effort and none of the above applies, I guess it is all eyewash.
As usual in Mexico what happens is not what is the official position.

gnukid - 8-14-2019 at 10:08 AM

The process is actually quite simple and easy, have fun with it. Life doesn't have to be drudgery. Be patient and prepared, practice your Spanish and talk with the agents openly. If you ask they will help.

gnukid - 8-14-2019 at 12:16 PM

In any Gob office you can request an English translator for you if you do not speak Spanish. I mentioned an English hotline as well. I have experience with INM and the employees are now my friends, they are happy to help you, just try to make a pleasant effort and be prepared.

It should take you about 1-2 hours to prep and and most can begin online to initiate the process before you arrive, when you go be prepared to explain who you are, what you are doing, why you want to proceed and offer kindness and respect and it will go perfectly and you may end up invited to dinner and events with new friends.

Don't be a hurry, expect it take a while and arrive early in the morning.

For example. make a folder and keep it up to date with all relative evidence and as well a copy f the requirements.

Try to imagine how unpleasant it would be to interact with someone (applicant) who is impatient, arrives late just before the office is set to close, unprepared, rude, doesn't make any effort, and could care less about Mexico.

Start off in Spanish with a clear self-introduction that includes colorful accurate info as an introduction then move to English. Bring anecdotal evidence as well like a photo of you doing something-talk about your respect of animals in your area. Try to tell a story about what you do, and why you want to be here to support and improve Mexico so they get a clear and valid idea who you are-they need to know who you are. Keep it simple and non-antagonistic and not for hire, until after you get the residency. Of course you need proof of residency that is recent, a few original bills of a home and often a copy within the last 30 days not necessarily in your name just be sure to have a an address that is consistent where you expect to continue to live.

It should be fun, pleasant and enjoyable for you and them and something that you look forward to doing and are proud to participate because you are getting all the rights and privileges you need to continue your life and potentially work and contribute to society.

I usually bring an appropriate gift like fruit, or a piece of art, or an informative invitation to an event of relevant interest that exemplifies my interests though that is no way required it's something enjoyable.

[Edited on 8-14-2019 by gnukid]