BajaNomad

Buenaventura?

Santiago - 8-29-2019 at 05:53 AM

I've long lost the thread to whatever happened to Mark and Olivia, the restaurant and nearby homes. What is the current status? Asking for a friend who will be going by there in a few weeks.

Buenaventura

bajaguy - 8-29-2019 at 07:03 AM

Mark and Olivia's son, Nathan makes a damn good cheeseburger and he has cold beer!!!

David K - 8-29-2019 at 07:29 AM

Jim, they won the case, clean and clear. The judge awarded Olivia the hotel land next door. Muñoz had workers mess up the place in a last bit of evil. Mark, Olivia, and Nathan have been able to fix up some of the hotel and they rent a couple of rooms there now. I saw them (Mark & Olivia) last May when the Trail of Missions Recon team stopped there for a bit.

BajaRun - 8-29-2019 at 08:02 AM

I stopped in 3 weeks ago. Nobody around. Honda 2000 was running. Nobody in the restaurant except the Parrot. Place was a mess. Looked like they were using part of the area as storage, surfboards, bicycles, just basic junk. I hung out for 10 minutes and left. The hotel side looked just like it did 5 years ago. No visible change.

norte - 8-29-2019 at 08:15 AM

All those homes vacant and deteriorating because owners forced out. Motel falling apart after owners forced out. Now the restaurant a mess. How sad to see it falling apart after taking all that property.

The son is building something else down the road, verdad?

David K - 8-29-2019 at 08:35 AM

It's like two universes here, the real one and this bizarro one!

Nathan posts pretty regularly from there since his return earlier this year... I was there 3 months ago and they were busy and all looked great. The restaurant had been damaged by a hurricane the year before but was all good this year.

This is the photo of them from August of last year, from the Facebook page:

Mark & Olivia & Nathan.jpg - 112kB

https://www.facebook.com/PlayaBuenaventura/

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.burbey

I messaged Nathan for some clarification on this.

[Edited on 8-29-2019 by David K]

Reply from Nathan just now:

David K - 8-29-2019 at 09:30 AM

Hmm I’ll have to check it out but things aren’t run down. I have been in bajamar here about three weeks.
I got back to Buenaventura the beginning of July so was there about a month and a half.
Someone dropped off three bags of dove gear that were on the pool table. Maybe that’s why they bought it looked like a storage area.
My dad put up new lights and Oli put on new table cloths I think it looks nice I’ll put up a picture.