BajaNomad

Video: Kayaking Isla San Jose

JZ - 9-16-2019 at 10:40 PM

One of the better Baja videos I've seen. We were just out at the island a couple months ago, but didn't go to the North end. Looks like lots of really cool bays and arches up there. Want to go back soon and check them out.

https://youtu.be/h2rbw8RsXks

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by JZ]

castone001 - 9-19-2019 at 12:30 PM

That looks amazing!!

bill erhardt - 9-19-2019 at 01:32 PM

There are several coves on the north end of Isla San Jose near Punta Colorado that are great anchorages for anything but wind from the east. Here's my boat tucked in for the night. In the second photo Las Animas is about eight miles distant. Many nights I've spent on the hook there to be at Las Animas at first light.
A couple of times beset by honey bees in the late afternoon looking for a hint of fresh water. Nothing to do then but cover up and wait for dark when they go wherever they go.

f860717.jpg - 171kB f877037.jpg - 99kB

[Edited on 9-19-2019 by bill erhardt]

JZ - 9-19-2019 at 05:49 PM

Nice pics Bill. Where did you take your boat out of to get there?

We are thinking about doing a 3-4 day boating trip starting in Loreto. Hit El Gato, Isla Jose, and Isla San Fransisco. Stop at Agua Verde for a bit as well.

bill erhardt - 9-19-2019 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Nice pics Bill. Where did you take your boat out of to get there?

We are thinking about doing a 3-4 day boating trip starting in Loreto. Hit El Gato, Isla Jose, and Isla San Fransisco. Stop at Agua Verde for a bit as well.

I launch in Loreto and fish on the way down and back working around Las Animas in the afternoon and early the next morning, with stops at Santa Cruz and Bajo Seco along the way, or just trolling outside Catalana and back to Loreto around Punta Lobos.