BajaNomad

deadly accident

4x4abc - 9-17-2019 at 07:17 AM

4 dead?
does anyone know more?
https://www.facebook.com/MaxRochinSQ/photos/a.52140396499729...

SFandH - 9-17-2019 at 07:40 AM

Sounds like a head-on collision at Punta Prieta. A Honda Pilot with CA plates and a Ford Explorer "van". No mention of the plates.

It's time for me to renew my annual policy and I read this at the Bajabound website.

https://www.bajabound.com/info/statelimitschart.php

I think I'm going to buy the maximum liability with collision HDI policy. $$$$$

nandopedal - 9-17-2019 at 08:45 AM

Honda pilot, 6ELE700 CA plates, no info on the other.

SFandH - 9-17-2019 at 08:56 AM

This article says a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Tacoma

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=58163

Nikno - 9-17-2019 at 10:04 AM

This is very sad.

The most dangerous part of visiting Baja is driving on the Baja Transpeninsular. That section is especially dangerous because there are many blind curves and no shoulders. Keep a reasonable speed 50-60 mph (many drive 70+), slow down before curves and when there is oncoming traffic, don't try to pass unless it is 100% safe to do so, and avoid driving at night.

Unfortunately, no matter what, this could happen to any of us. (Not just in Baja btw. It's just that that road is particularly dangerous.)

sancho - 9-17-2019 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
This is very sad.
The most dangerous part of visiting Baja is driving on the Baja Transpeninsular

No doubt, you can take all the supposed dangers, combined
they are nada, compared to driving. SF's post re: the Mex state
liability requirements, while not guaranteed, are quite
sobering. To have the $50.000 liability limit policy. and be responsible
for a few $100.000, doesn't sound like a position one
would like to be in

David K - 9-17-2019 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
This is very sad.

The most dangerous part of visiting Baja is driving on the Baja Transpeninsular. That section is especially dangerous because there are many blind curves and no shoulders. Keep a reasonable speed 50-60 mph (many drive 70+), slow down before curves and when there is oncoming traffic, don't try to pass unless it is 100% safe to do so, and avoid driving at night.

Unfortunately, no matter what, this could happen to any of us. (Not just in Baja btw. It's just that that road is particularly dangerous.)

I thought the article said near Punta Prieta? Anyone see a kilometer marker and then we can Google Earth the spot and see. Now, they did engineer the highway back in '73 to have long, straight sections then suddenly curve the road, as if you were only driving 35 mph!

EDIT: Google Translation of the post:

TRAGEDIA SOUTH OF ENSENADA 🚨
San Quintín BC- During the afternoon of this Monday, September 16, there was a vehicle accident that left 4 people without life, at the height of the Parador Punta parador at kilometer 250 to 4 hours at South of the San Quintin Valley.

Reprotan was a frontal collision between a black Honda Pilot vehicle, 6ELE700 license plates from California 2008 model approx. and an Explorer van. One of the units burned as far as there are burned victims.

The R-01 unit of the local Fire Department will arrive at the site, in order to support the rescue efforts of lifeless bodies, who were pressed into the iron of the units

KM. 250 is south of Laguna Chapala, just before the Calamajué cut off road (Km. 251). This is a straight road. Km. 251 is the top of a rise.

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by David K]

David K - 9-17-2019 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
This article says a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Tacoma

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=58163

No Tacoma in the photos... looks more like a big SUV or a van & the Honda Pilot.

Nikno - 9-17-2019 at 12:33 PM

I was thinking the road south of Punta Prieta. Many winding turns as it crosses the mountains there.

The area where this happened does have many straight sections. But it's pitch black at night there and very little reflective road markings and no shoulder so even a gradual curve could pose a problem if someone wasn't paying attention. I consider all of Highway 1 to be pretty dangerous and try to avoid it as much as possible.

David K - 9-17-2019 at 12:56 PM

Yes, after coming out of the Chapala Valley, it is pretty straight to El Crucero, but with rises and long dips... A clear head-on. One person was where hhe was supposed to be and thd the other was not in his lane. Very sad.
Was it at night... because headlights allow seeing cars approaching from a distance?

shari - 9-18-2019 at 09:29 AM

a well loved young couple from Vizcaino died in this tragic accident.

BajaDanD - 9-18-2019 at 08:16 PM

What a bummer
I drive that road once or twice a year. I'll be thinking about these people and praying for them and their families. So Sad