BajaNomad

Apple TV ?

hdn2mx - 10-3-2019 at 05:52 PM

Hola amigos, Has anyone down around Cabo area, BCS, tried Apple TV if they have internet? Just curious. I’m sitting at home now in So Cal trying to watch Thursday night football and DISH and Fox Network, channel 11, are having contract disputes which means I’m not getting the game. I have the nfl network but it’s not on there either. So I turned on my Apple TV and bam 💥 , I’m getting FOX. Same issue with HBO. I’ve never thought about bringing my Apple TV with me south, but now it’s got me thinking, maybe it works down there if you have internet. Thanks for your time.
RT

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 06:24 PM

It will be blocked outside the US. VPNs use to work, but spotty now.

Btw, you should ditch your Dish in the US. YouTube TV is way, way better DirecTV and Dish. At about a 1/3 of the price. YTTV is really good.

BajaParrothead - 10-3-2019 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
It will be blocked outside the US. VPNs use to work, but spotty now.

Btw, you should ditch your Dish in the US. YouTube TV is way, way better DirecTV and Dish. At about a 1/3 of the price. YTTV is really good.

Will YouTube TV work in southern Baja, or will it need a VPN as well?

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 06:30 PM

It is blocked. I have at@t and can often watch it on my phone using cellular in MX (only caught it once), but can't over Wi-Fi. And can't watch it on my laptop.

It detects that you are using a VPN, at least my go to VPN - ExpressVPN.

I'm thinking there has to be a VPN that will work. Just haven't found it yet.

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 10-3-2019 at 06:34 PM

It is blocked. I have at@t and can often watch it on my phone using cellular in MX (only caught it once), but can't over Wi-Fi. And can't watch it on my laptop.

I'm thinking there is probably a VPN that will work. Just haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the info. My LB house will be finished in December and I'm trying to figure out what my TV options are. Currently DTV in NorCal, but apparently it doesn't go that far south. Not willing to go to Dish; they seem to have too any contract disputes with the networks.

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

Thanks for the info. My LB house will be finished in December and I'm trying to figure out what my TV options are. Currently DTV in NorCal, but apparently it doesn't go that far south. Not willing to go to Dish; they seem to have too any contract disputes with the networks.

Before my next trip in November I'm going to research it deeper and will report back unless someone else gives us the info before then. I'm pretty sure there is a way to get it working down there.

BajaParrothead - 10-3-2019 at 06:42 PM

Before my next trip in November I'm going to research it deeper and will report back unless someone else gives us the info before then. I'm pretty sure there is a way to get it working down there.

Thanks, I sure appreciate the info and I'm sure the OP does too!

hdn2mx - 10-3-2019 at 07:27 PM

For everyday use, DISH works ok. I still get Ktla channel 5 from LA, as a network channel, but it’s the only network. I do get a bunch of other channels like showtime, espn, nfl network, etc...
Some of my neighbors are using the internet box from Telcel for their internet and just stream the shows they want to watch, but it has a tendency to lock up, etc... others use a DISH subscription from different states than CA and seem to get about everything but the local networks are from whatever state they are subscribed to. So for news it kind of sucks, but sports, etc, great!!

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 07:52 PM

I had Directv in California and at my house in Sonora, MX for about 15 years.

The cloud based recording capabilities of YTTV is incredible. The user interface is brilliant. Once you experience it you will never again use the satellite providers.

Fernweh - 10-4-2019 at 08:24 AM

I am using my Apple TV here in Centenario/La Paz, but I have Express VPN on my Ipad, watch Amazon Prime, Netflicks, European TV station, and airplay it via the Apple TV onto my big screen.
For Amazon Prime I do connect to the LA 3 Server......
BTW Megacable Internet 10MB

mtgoat666 - 10-4-2019 at 08:45 AM

Kill your tv.
Free your mind.
Make stuff.
Read a book.
Have a conversation.

I suppose residents want occasional tv to turn off their mind and kill their brain cells with vapid entertainment, but as a vacation traveler, in baja i don’t watch tv, why would you ruin a vacation by watching tv?

unbob - 10-4-2019 at 09:22 AM

Suggest you try Mullvad Shadowsocks. I haven't tried it myself so can't confirm it will solve your problem - but I'd be surprised if it doesn't. I do use Mullvad VPN and highly recommend!

unbob - 10-4-2019 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Kill your tv.
Free your mind.
Make stuff.
Read a book.
Have a conversation.

I suppose residents want occasional tv to turn off their mind and kill their brain cells with vapid entertainment, but as a vacation traveler, in baja i don’t watch tv, why would you ruin a vacation by watching tv?
X2!!!

Alm - 10-4-2019 at 10:27 AM

I suppose residents want occasional tv to turn off their mind and kill their brain cells with vapid entertainment, but as a vacation traveler, in baja i don’t watch tv

True. There is only satellite TV and internet in the village where I'm part-time wintering. However, some more permanent residents chose to install sat internet only, not TV. Even though TV would add less than what they're paying for internet. Just don't find it necessary. Getting occasional news through the 'net on the laptop, no daily hours of TV time, no TV set.

Interestingly, Mexicans - who can afford it - all have DishLatino. It is much cheaper than US sat TV, still not too cheap for them.

Don Pisto - 10-4-2019 at 10:35 AM

this VPN deal sounds pretty slick, if you're sharing a connection with neighbors can one neighbor have a VPN without screwing up the connection for others?

unbob - 10-4-2019 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
this VPN deal sounds pretty slick, if you're sharing a connection with neighbors can one neighbor have a VPN without screwing up the connection for others?
Yes. Should be no problema.

pacsur - 10-4-2019 at 11:23 AM

Some people have device specific vpn apps, my vpn router piggy backs to my Telmex módem so you have 2 WiFi signals and can use either one.

gnukid - 10-4-2019 at 11:26 AM

If you bring TV and crap, it will be stolen, and it will waste your time and money. You are thinking Gringo. In LB there are million things to do and you can watch games with friends if desired at Punta Pescadero or Smokeys or YTTV but don't waste time with big screens and crap it will only hurt you physically, mentally and bring thieves to your house. Don't waste your time or money with TV.

JZ - 10-4-2019 at 12:23 PM

Kill your tv.
Free your mind.
Make stuff.
Read a book.
Have a conversation.

I'm a freak college football fan. The Ohio State University. Can't go w/o football in the fall.

Alm - 10-4-2019 at 02:04 PM

If life is impossible without college football even for a few weeks, and there is no way to get the channel, there are 2 choices:
1) don't watch it for a few weeks,
2) don't go where you can't get the channel.
You could (probably) watch some of the games later in recording. If you profile photo reflects the reality correctly, in places where you travel in Baja there will be nobody to talk about these games.

BajaUtah - 10-4-2019 at 02:52 PM

So all of these streaming TV devices are just methods for playing apps. AppleTV, Roku, Firestick and smart TVs do the same thing. They open apps to connect to streaming services. No one device prevents you from opening apps or gives you regional lock outs, that's in the app itself. The real difference is what apps are available for each device.

I have an AppleTV v1 at home in the US and I can't add any apps beyond what comes with the device. I've heard the newer versions can add external apps but have no experience. I've never tried the AppleTV in Baja.

I have used a Roku in the US and in Baja and I just don't like the interface and you have to use Roku approved apps so there are limitations. The Roku had no problem connecting to my slow and glitchy internet in La Ribera. I tried to use Netflix via the Roku and got a regional lock out.

Firestick is my choice in the US and Baja. The 4k stick with voice remote is pretty cool. The real advantage is you can load it with Kodi - a third party app loader that lets you add all kinds of apps that do not have to be approved by Amazon.

I haven't used smart TVs in Baja but I do have an old blu ray player that has a few apps on it that I've used. It's actually my go to for Netflix because its so old and out of date that I don't get regional restrictions on Netflix. Go figure.

If you are going to go Streaming TV in Baja I'd suggest a Firestick 4k with the Cabo Internet TV app. I've used it on a few trips and it's been good for me to watch a few sportsball games and news shows.

Look at https://cabointernetv-com.3dcartstores.com/

The setup on firestick took me a few tries but once loaded it's a ton of TV (look at the channel list) for cheap.

Sandlefoot - 10-4-2019 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaUtah  
So all of these streaming TV devices are just methods for playing apps. AppleTV, Roku, Firestick and smart TVs do the same thing. They open apps to connect to streaming services. No one device prevents you from opening apps or gives you regional lock outs, that's in the app itself. The real difference is what apps are available for each device.

I have an AppleTV v1 at home in the US and I can't add any apps beyond what comes with the device. I've heard the newer versions can add external apps but have no experience. I've never tried the AppleTV in Baja.

I have used a Roku in the US and in Baja and I just don't like the interface and you have to use Roku approved apps so there are limitations. The Roku had no problem connecting to my slow and glitchy internet in La Ribera. I tried to use Netflix via the Roku and got a regional lock out.

Firestick is my choice in the US and Baja. The 4k stick with voice remote is pretty cool. The real advantage is you can load it with Kodi - a third party app loader that lets you add all kinds of apps that do not have to be approved by Amazon.

I haven't used smart TVs in Baja but I do have an old blu ray player that has a few apps on it that I've used. It's actually my go to for Netflix because its so old and out of date that I don't get regional restrictions on Netflix. Go figure.

If you are going to go Streaming TV in Baja I'd suggest a Firestick 4k with the Cabo Internet TV app. I've used it on a few trips and it's been good for me to watch a few sportsball games and news shows.

Look at https://cabointernetv-com.3dcartstores.com/

The setup on firestick took me a few tries but once loaded it's a ton of TV (look at the channel list) for cheap.

Troypoint.com has all the solutions for the firestick

Udo - 10-4-2019 at 03:28 PM

Try torguard. Works for me.

Don Pisto - 10-4-2019 at 05:26 PM

anyone just use netflix mexico?

BajaParrothead - 12-5-2019 at 03:11 PM

JZ, were you able to make any progress on the VPN with YouTubeTV during this last trip?

JZ - 12-5-2019 at 07:35 PM

JZ, were you able to make any progress on the VPN with YouTubeTV during this last trip?

Yes, I was able to get YTTV working in both Ireland and Mexico last month. I used two VPNs. ExpressVPN and Nord VPN.

The VPNs give you a bunch of cities to choose from to connect to a proxy server (e.g. where you appear to be in the world, it basically gives you an IP address of a city where the proxy server is).

For many of the locations you pick, YTTV will pop up a message saying it has detected the VPN/Proxy, and locks you out. You just have to keep trying until you find a city in the US that works. My experience was that I was able to find a good one much faster with Nord.

This gives you access to 95% of the channels on YTTV. If you want to use local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), YTTV does a 2nd level of checking. It asks for permission to use your browser to check your location. Your browser keeps something that is called a Geolocation. It is different from your IP address.

ExpressVPN has a browser plug-in for Firefox and Chrome. This spoofs your Geolocation. Before I tried YTTV's 2nd level of location detection, I found a website that would check your location. It showed me being in NY when I was in Mexico.

I needed the local channels, as the CFB game I wanted to watch was on ABC. Luckily ExpressVPN was giving me an unblocked city pretty easily that day.

Nord has a similar add on, but I tested it once and it didn't seem to spoof my browser's Geolocation properly. I need to fiddle with it more.

In summary, both Nord and ExpressVPN will work. You just need to play with them a bit. Nord seems to need much less trial and error, and is cheaper.

[Edited on 12-6-2019 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 12-5-2019 at 07:49 PM

Yes, I was able to get YTTV working in both Ireland and Mexico last month. I used two VPNs. ExpressVPN and Nord VPN.

Omg! Who watches TV on vacation? I can see switching on the tube in a hotel room, to see what is on locally, but to waste vacation time with vpns and streaming services? Crikey!

JZ - 12-5-2019 at 07:55 PM

Omg! Who watches TV on vacation? I can see switching on the tube in a hotel room, to see what is on locally, but to waste vacation time with vpns and streaming services? Crikey!

I grew up 10-15mins from Ohio Stadium. tOSU Buckeyes have the number 1 football team in the nation heading into the CFB playoff.

They just played two top 15 teams back to back. I wasn't missing those two games for the world.

BajaParrothead - 12-5-2019 at 08:14 PM

The VPNs give you a bunch of cities to choose from to connect to a proxy server (e.g. where you appear to be in the world, it basically gives you an IP address of a city where the proxy server is).

For many of them locations you pick, YTTV will pop up a message saying it has detected the VPN/Proxy, and locks you out. You just have to keep trying until you find a city in the US that works. My experience was that I was able to find a good one much faster with Nord.

This gives you access to 95% of the channels on YTTV. If you want to use local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), YTTV does a 2nd level of checking. It asks for permission to use your browser to check your location. Your browser keeps something that is called a Geolocation. It is different from your IP address.

ExpressVPN has a browser plug in for Firefox and Chrome. This spoofs your Geolocation. Before I tried YTTV's 2nd level of location checking, I found a website that would test your location. It showed me being in NY when I was in Mexico.

I needed the local channels, as the CFB game I wanted to watch was on ABC. Luckily ExpressVPN was giving me an unblocked city pretty easily that day.

Nord has a similar add on, but I tested it once and it didn't seem to spoof my browser Geolocation properly. I need to fiddle with it more.

In summary, both Nord and ExpressVPN will work. You just need to play with them a bit. Nord seems to need much less trial and error, and is cheaper.

Thanks for the report, this will help!