BajaNomad

Cell service along the highway

SFandH - 10-9-2019 at 08:20 AM

Where are the dead spots between Ensenada and Bahia Concepcion? I have Telcel.

[Edited on 10-9-2019 by SFandH]

4x4abc - 10-9-2019 at 08:37 AM

everywhere

cell coverage baja california.jpg - 18kB

Howard - 10-9-2019 at 09:21 AM

I cannot pin point where but I get coverage a lot more places than the map shows. Maybe it's an old map?

I have AT&T which I assume uses Telcel towers.

thebajarunner - 10-9-2019 at 03:59 PM

I get good reception in the Camalu-San Quintin corridor
El Rosario
Also in and around Guerrero Negro
Otherwise, never tried....

SFandH - 10-10-2019 at 08:17 AM

I found a coverage map, a lousy one, but it looks like there is coverage around Viscaino too.

Dead between El Rosario and G. Neg. dead again until Viscaino (I think), then dead until Santa Rosalia. Not sure between Santa Rosalia and Mulege.

We're driving south with two other cars and I'm a slowpoke that will probably get left behind, that's why I'm wondering.

kiterkip - 10-10-2019 at 08:17 AM

Related: I always load any Google Map using wifi throughout Mexico before hitting the road if I have any intention of using Google Maps. Dropped data is the norm.

Get a couple CB radios

thebajarunner - 10-10-2019 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I found a coverage map, a lousy one, but it looks like there is coverage around Viscaino too.

Dead between El Rosario and G. Neg. dead again until Viscaino (I think), then dead until Santa Rosalia. Not sure between Santa Rosalia and Mulege.

We're driving south with two other cars and I'm a slowpoke that will probably get left behind, that's why I'm wondering.

We have gone with a gang for 22 years
CBs keep us somewhat together and informed

PaulW - 10-10-2019 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
Related: I always load any Google Map using wifi throughout Mexico before hitting the road if I have any intention of using Google Maps. Dropped data is the norm.

===
Use the tool to load all the maps for offline use for your travel onto your device before you head south. Works great for Google Maps. No dropout just the maps as intended by Google.
Be aware that there is a time limit for offline maps, So, when you get back to the internet load them again if your time has expired.

SFandH - 10-10-2019 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

We have gone with a gang for 22 years
CBs keep us somewhat together and informed

Good idea but I'd have to buy three of them to get the other two drivers to use them. :lol:

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by SFandH]

Howard - 10-10-2019 at 09:41 AM

Cell phone service has improved dramatically over the last 5 years and I am always impressed of the service available each time I drive down.

Now if they could only build their road as efficiently... :))

Marc - 10-11-2019 at 09:02 AM

It's getting more & more difficult to find areas with no call coverage.

David K - 10-11-2019 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

You should travel where I go sometime! Of course, I don't go to Baja to talk on a cell phone. For emergency or to text family/ friends, you just need an inReach device... they are great, and just need a clear view of the sky to work.

JZ - 10-11-2019 at 09:57 AM

Interactive map of at&t's coverage. They bought 2 MX carriers 3-4 years ago, and also have roaming agreements with Telcel. The best carrier for international travel.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

David K - 10-11-2019 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Interactive map of at&t's coverage. They bought 2 MX carriers 3-4 years ago, and also have roaming agreements with Telcel. The best carrier for international travel.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

ATT Coverage.jpg - 133kB

Marc - 10-11-2019 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

You should travel where I go sometime! Of course, I don't go to Baja to talk on a cell phone. For emergency or to text family/ friends, you just need an inReach device... they are great, and just need a clear view of the sky to work.

My point exactly.

SFandH - 10-11-2019 at 10:39 AM

I agree, I'm headed to one of those white areas for 6 months.

Alm - 10-11-2019 at 10:46 AM

Come to BOLA.

Marc - 10-12-2019 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Come to BOLA.

Just a matter of time.

BajaMama - 10-12-2019 at 02:47 PM

I only get cell service near larger towns - El Rosario is spotty, nada at Catavina, okay GN and Vizcaino, spotty San Ignacio, good in Mulege and Santa Rosalia and usually in-between the two. I have AT&T and pick up different Mexican carriers in Baja. For the most part no cell signal outside of towns, for me anyway.