BajaNomad

October 23

IdahoGringa - 10-20-2019 at 11:54 PM

I’m looking to get to Bahia conception. We fly into San Diego October 23rd. I notice the dates are long for flights from Tijuana to Loreto. Bus or rent a car? We have 6/7 days. I’d love to find someone heading that way. It’s just my husband and I. Any suggestions?

JZ - 10-21-2019 at 01:01 AM

Fly from TJ.

David K - 10-21-2019 at 07:08 AM

You can drive there in one LONG day (if you leave San Diego at sunrise). Otherwise, spend the night along the way (El Rosario. Cataviña, Guerrero Negro, or San Ignacio) and get there on the second day.

How are you sleeping at Bahía Concepción or are you staying in Loreto (60 miles south)? It is a camping place but there is a luxury mini-resort Playa Frambes (www.mulege.org) and some rooms for rent at Playa Buenaventura (https://www.facebook.com/PlayaBuenaventura/).

[Edited on 10-21-2019 by David K]

wilderone - 10-21-2019 at 07:35 AM

Rent a car in Tijuana. 6-7 days is just about right for that distance - many stops along the way to enjoy. All the major rental car companies in TJ - make reservations online, walk across the border, take a taxi to your rental place. Bring a map. Bahia de Los Angeles the first day (363 mi).

Car rental

IdahoGringa - 10-21-2019 at 07:57 AM

Any suggestions on which company to go through? Would you recommend booking the car in advance vs when I get to Tijuana? This extra insurance can you add anything about that? Best place to get some pesos?

Thanks for letting me know about the rooms and camping. We are still deciding to either get a room, stay in Mulege, or Loreto.

I’m looking for recommendations for food. I’m also wanting to bring my children and parents down for Christmas break. Reason for the trip is scouting good spots for them. We want to snorkel and kayak and have it very low key.

We also want to have breakfast/ lunch puerto Nuevo. How’s the highway 1 vs taking highway 5?

BajaBlanca - 10-21-2019 at 08:16 AM

Welcome to Baja Nomad.

Make your car reservation in advance and take a taxi to the location, just as David suggested. Bring a map if you can and set up your GPS once you are in the vehicle.

Two recommendations:

1. never drive at night due to drunks and animals being on the road

2. way down south, there is a town called EL ROSARIO. Stop by Mama Espinosa's Restaurant! Tons to see inside. We have had excellent meals there, but some people haven't. The luck of the draw, I think. At any rate: you must gas up in this town since there aren't any gas stations for miles and miles after it.

Be sure to tell us how the trip went afterwards!

Bon voyage.

HeyMulegeScott - 10-21-2019 at 10:09 AM

If you have only six or seven days don't drive down if you really want to experience Bahia. There's some rooms here - https://www.posada-concepcion.com/

A map I made for RV friends of some of our favorite spots - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1Qx04tzo5...

[Edited on 10-21-2019 by Three2tango]

wilderone - 10-21-2019 at 12:10 PM

There are money exchange places on the US side for pesos (if you're walking across); also you'll see exchange places as you pass through towns - they have the exchange rates lit up in neon. And ATM machines in the larger grocery stores, and some bank lobbies, also in the immigration office there is an ATM. Mex. 5 is different, mostly two lane, and a lot of road repair and new construction right now south of San Felipe. There is more about that in the Road Condition category. However, nothing to be afraid of. Once I reserved a car, and when I got there, they had to go get one from another lot - I waited for about an hour. Hopefully, with a reservation, they are expecting you and have a decent car ready. There will be insurance on a rental - pretty standard.

Alm - 10-21-2019 at 12:32 PM

San Diego flight probably arrives in the afternoon, catching TIJ-LTO flight on the same day is not realistic, so at the very least he'll have to spend one night in a Tijuana hotel.

Flying directly to LTO via LAX would is the best, when you can make a connection in LAX. From Loreto it's an easy 2-hour bus ride to Mulege. But they arrive in San Diego.

Car from Tijuana to Mulege and back will take 2 days out of their 7 days vacation. Very long and tiresome drive. If they split it in 2 days (each way), there won't be much left for Mulege.

IMO, overnight bus Tijuana-Mulege will be the most productive use of their time. I recall there is a bus at 4,6,9 pm and 0.30 (midnight). Takes about 15 hours, so the 6pm bus arrives to Mulege at 9am. About $90, I think.

You can take Uber from SAN airport to San Ysidro, or bus 992 and blue line trolley. In SY you either cross on foot and take Mexican cab, or take Grehound to Tijuana bus terminal called Central Camionera at Bldv Lazaro C a r d e n a s. Cabbies know. Greyhound stops behind the McDonald building in SY, stops for passport control and arrives to the Tijuana terminal, 15-minute trip. Costs $12. This Greyhound goes from LA and stops in San Diego downtown not too far from airport, so you can board it there.

Tijauna-Loreto buses are modern, with A/C and toilet. After Ensenada the bus is half-empty, take 2 seats and node off. Federal block-posts will wake you up a couple of times. It may or may not stop for a supper or breakfast, bring some snack and bottle of water. There are 2 companies running this route, ABC and Aguilla, look for signs in Camionera. They don't announce when bus is about to leave at Tijuana, just come the platform 15-20 minutes before departure.

Alm - 10-21-2019 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
If you have only six or seven days don't drive down if you really want to experience Bahia. There's some rooms here - https://www.posada-concepcion.com/

Yes. Another alternative would be renting a car in Loreto - to drive around the Concepcion bay if they feel like. In either scenario, overnight bus from Tijuana comes handy.

wilderone - 10-22-2019 at 07:56 AM

Volaris flights from TJ to Loreto do not fly the dates when they need. It is uncomfortable taking the bus - it is usually full from TJ - only stops for passengers on/off a couple times and a meal break. When they get to Mulege, they'll have to taxi everywhere or take another bus somewhere. Will get to Loreto or Mulege faster, but not as fun. Last time I took the bus to Loreto RT (about 4 years ago), it cost $220. So that's at least $400 for two - you can rent a car for less. If they drive, they can stop at Puerto Nuevo, Ensenada for groceries for their trip, see the blow hole, Mission in San Vicente, El Rosario meal at Mama Espinosas, Check out El Marmol, photos at Catavina boulders, pictographs at Catavina, arrive at Bahia de LA for sunset. Beautiful morning sunrise, a dip in the gulf, stroll around town, Jesus Maria for gas and tamales, Vizcaino for honey and oranges, past the roadside olive oil stands, San Ignacio for stroll around town/mission, Santa Rosalia for tour to French wood hotel, Mulege. Stay at La Serinidad, settle in, then drive to Conception Bay for sunset. Do whatever for 3 days. Then drive back - they now know where to stop, can switch drivers - last night at Cielito Lindo hotel near San Quintin. Up early - do Mex. 3 - stop at LA Cetto (and the other one) wineries, cross in Tecate.

HeyMulegeScott - 10-22-2019 at 08:37 AM

A Mexican friend needed to get back to Cabo from Mulege last year and used a Facebook group to find a ride share. I asked her if she considered taking the bus and her response was have you seen how fast they drive on our narrow roads? Good point they look a little scary.

Alm - 10-22-2019 at 09:33 AM

Other than on major holidays, I have never had a problem getting 2 seats for myself on overnight buses from Tijuana. 6pm bus this time of year is near full on departure, half-empty after Ensenada. 9pm bus is usually half-full on departure, almost empty after Ensenada. Daytime buses are fuller.

The bus stops more than couple of times before Mulege - in Ensenada, El Rosario, Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Sta Rosalia. Plus, some federal police stops. One stop is made for either breakfast or supper, depending on the schedule. When driver(s) go and sit at the table, this is the sign of a long stop +30 minutes. They usually shout out - Quince minutos, Veinte minutos etc but it always longer with restaurant. Might not stop for meals, on the route that long it probably will, though don't count on it.

BajaBlanca - 10-22-2019 at 02:44 PM

I just took the night bus from Vizcaino to TJ last week.

Don't really recommend it, although I saw a bunch of movies (all dubbed in Spanish).

Bus was PACKED. Not so comfy.

I am one of those lucky peeps, I can sleep through noise, lights, talking. So, it felt like I got on the bus and it was time to get off, with snippets of movies in between!

Alm - 10-22-2019 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I just took the night bus from Vizcaino to TJ last week.

Don't really recommend it, although I saw a bunch of movies (all dubbed in Spanish).

Bus was PACKED.

Thee need to go South, i.e. from Tijuana. I don't remember when was the last time I saw it packed, traveling South in the night once a year. 2 years ago on 00.30 bus I was the only passenger somewhere after San Quintin and all the way to Guerrero Negro.

On many buses the movies are now on built-in screen in the front backrest, with earbuds, like on airplanes. Not on overhead monitors with loud sound. Though they used to shut the overhead monitors after 11pm. OTH, the driver's music can play all night long depending on his mood and can be heard from the front seats.