BajaNomad

For anyone that uses Back Country Navigator; I might have something that saves you some time

JZ - 10-24-2019 at 06:16 PM

I just spent 3 and a half days (off and on) downloading satellite imagery for all of Baja for offline use. Did it at the highest possible resolution. It's like having Google Earth on your phone/tablet w/out the need for an internet connection.

It was about 50GB of data. Took so long because you can only do 2-3GB at a time and there are thousands of files for every 3GB. At one point I was doing it too fast and I got a warning that my brand new Samsung Tab was over heating from all the read/writes to memory, and then automatically shut down.

Also tedious to select the areas for download. One small section at a time going from bottom to top.

Anyway, I've got it on a micro SD card now. My theory is it can be move to another micro SD and another device in minutes. Going to put it on my phone next.

If it works and if anyone is interested, I could put the 50GB folder on Google Drive or something for others to download. You can put it right on a micro SD and into your device.

You have to use BCN of course.

[Edited on 10-25-2019 by JZ]

chippy - 10-24-2019 at 07:07 PM

That would be fantastic! I´m in.

unbob - 10-24-2019 at 08:45 PM

Such a deal!! Muchas gracias!! Count me in too!!:D

4x4abc - 10-24-2019 at 09:20 PM

sounds good

aburruss - 10-24-2019 at 09:25 PM

Not directly related to your original post, but related to this app. I see it's a $14.99 purchase for ios, and some of the reviews are pretty "meh". Is it worth it? I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with gaia... worth checking out?

Thanks.. Hope I don't hijack this thread.. I'd love your downloads if I end up getting the app.

JZ - 10-24-2019 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Not directly related to your original post, but related to this app. I see it's a $14.99 purchase for ios, and some of the reviews are pretty "meh". Is it worth it? I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with gaia... worth checking out?

Thanks.. Hope I don't hijack this thread.. I'd love your downloads if I end up getting the app.

Back Country Navigator Pro is free. It is Android only I believe. I love it. Really good in my opinion.

Back Country Navigator XE just came out (those might be the reviews you are reading?). It supports Android and iOS. It is closer to Gaia in that it has an online map component. It is pretty new and I haven't played with it since the beta version many months ago. Pretty sure it costs a couple bones. I use GE (and download that to BCN), so the online map part hasn't been that big a deal to me.

That's where we are. If someone uses an Android (Samsung >> iPhone) and BCN Pro, I can probably help you.

JZ - 10-24-2019 at 11:11 PM

Ok, update. I copied the folder from the SD card on my tablet to my PC. Then downloaded it to an blank SD card. Plugged it unto my phone.

And Voila, every inch of Baja in high def sat imagery was right there on my phone without any connection to the internet.

Tomorrow I'll upload it to Google Drive and post the link. Alll you'll need to do is:

- Have an Android phone
- Have BCN Pro installed
- Download the folder to your computer (or directly to a mirco SD card - will take longer)
- Copy the folder to at least a 64GB SD micro card
- Put the card in your phone/tablet
- Go under Settings in BCN and set the storage location to "External"

chippy - 10-25-2019 at 04:37 AM

JZ I have a question Does the phone require a seperate sd slot or do you load it to the existing sd card?

DouglasP - 10-25-2019 at 06:21 AM

JZ, this will be great! I use BCN religiously in Baja. I started doing a similar download A while back and gave up. Too tedious for me. Thanks for your effort and thanks for sharing.

matthew_mangus - 10-26-2019 at 07:57 PM

Have any of you guys tried loading the same maps into GAIA? Are the map tiles a different file type? If the file type is the same, I'd be game to try downloading the files and loading them into GAIA on my tablet.

I haven't tried the new BCN yet, but have a current GAIA pro subscription that I use frequently.

JZ - 10-26-2019 at 08:19 PM

Kind of doubt it, but I'll try it out and let you know.

4x4abc - 10-27-2019 at 11:24 AM

JZ, which tablets can you use in the Baja backcountry for this?

4x4abc - 10-27-2019 at 11:38 AM

I have a question - since the tiles are Google Earth images, can you use the image folder for use with off line Google Earth use?

matthew_mangus - 10-27-2019 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Kind of doubt it, but I'll try it out and let you know.

I'm assuming that you're doubts will prove true but appreciate you trying.

It seems like it would be to good to be true to be able to side-load the map files for a whole state into a mapping program like GAIA. Also if this possible, this would theoretically allow somebody to download premium layers (like land ownership) and share them with folks who don't have premium subscriptions.

4x4abc - 10-27-2019 at 01:07 PM

no premium subscriptions needed for Google Earth Pro

Over my head but I do ask...

John M - 10-27-2019 at 04:18 PM

This discussion is a bit more than I know about, but my question is: could this work on my PC rather than on a tablet?

Using Google Earth itself off-line is very restrictive.

John M

JZ - 10-27-2019 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
JZ, which tablets can you use in the Baja backcountry for this?

Any Android tablet (or phone) that has a) GPS and b) a lot for an SD micro card.

Samsung's are the best. They all have GPS and support SD micro cards.

[Edited on 10-28-2019 by JZ]

defrag4 - 10-27-2019 at 11:11 PM

helll yessss, IN!

Enrique2012 - 10-28-2019 at 11:32 AM

Question JZ - Every app I have looks for an internet connection immediately after being launched. If these map tiles are viewed in BCN, will BCN launch (and view those tiles) without an internet connection?

Thanks.

Enrique2012 - 10-28-2019 at 11:49 AM

Side note: Unless I missed it, they've pulled the Pro (free) version of BCN off the Google app store?

[Edited on 10-28-2019 by Enrique2012]

JZ - 10-28-2019 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
Question JZ - Every app I have looks for an internet connection immediately after being launched. If these map tiles are viewed in BCN, will BCN launch (and view those tiles) without an internet connection?

Thanks.

Once you have the titles downloaded you don't need internet. That's the beauty of it.

DouglasP - 10-29-2019 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Ok, update. I copied the folder from the SD card on my tablet to my PC. Then downloaded it to an blank SD card. Plugged it unto my phone.

And Voila, every inch of Baja in high def sat imagery was right there on my phone without any connection to the internet.

Tomorrow I'll upload it to Google Drive and post the link. Alll you'll need to do is:

- Have an Android phone
- Have BCN Pro installed
- Download the folder to your computer (or directly to a mirco SD card - will take longer)
- Copy the folder to at least a 64GB SD micro card
- Put the card in your phone/tablet
- Go under Settings in BCN and set the storage location to "External"

Hi JZ, have you had a chance to put the files on google drive?

JZ - 10-29-2019 at 05:24 PM

I just started the upload. It's about 70GB. So you need a 128GB micro SD.

Here is a really good one for $23: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

You can download it to your laptop first, and then put it on as many micro SD's as you want. So you can have it on your tablet, phone, your kid's phone, etc.

More info coming soon.

DouglasP - 10-30-2019 at 08:27 AM

Can't wait....

excited.jpg - 54kB

JZ - 10-31-2019 at 03:54 PM

Doug, I sent you a PM with the link to download. Don't want to post it publicly, as it might crash my Google Drive if too many click it.

[Edited on 11-1-2019 by JZ]

defrag4 - 10-31-2019 at 09:22 PM

hey JZ, could you hook me up with the link as well please?