BajaNomad

Nexus

JCK - 11-4-2019 at 10:19 AM

I had to update my Nexus card info online recently and there was an option to register my vehicle. The description implied that if I do so, I can use my Nexus card to go through the Sentri lane when returning from Mexico.

I tried to find confirmation of this option on other websites and Nomad with no luck. Has anyone successfully done this?

[Edited on 2019-11-4 by JCK]

Nikno - 11-4-2019 at 11:04 AM

It depends. The programs are a little complicated.

Nexus covers only the US - Canada border. I originally had Global Entry and then I added Nexus. My program number on the two is the same. I can use the Nexus card to travel between US and Canada and to travel between the US and Mexico. However, you cannot use the Global Entry card to enter Canada. You must have your Nexus card with you.

I was able to add vehicles to my account with no problem and now use the Sentri lanes with my Nexus card when returning from Mexico. However that is because I already had Global Entry and the accounts are linked.

If you have only Nexus and nothing else, you will not be able to add vehicles to your account. Also, vehicle registration is not necessary for the US - Canada border. You can be in any car as long as you have a Nexus card.

If you have Global Entry and Nexus then no problem!

If you want an exact explanation of the rules, check out:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...