BajaNomad

Mexican Auto Insurance question

geraldalexander7 - 11-29-2019 at 05:55 PM

Why would Vagabundos.com ask me for my US insurance company and policy number when I am purchasing Mex auto insurance? Any opinions?

David K - 11-29-2019 at 06:01 PM

For the special insurance rates Mexican companies offer U.S. insured vehicles. This low cost, tourist auto insurance is only for vehicles fully covered and based outside of Mexico.

bajatrailrider - 11-29-2019 at 07:45 PM

David it must be that company as my Mex ins never asked that

David K - 11-29-2019 at 08:11 PM

You live in Mexico, Larry.
There are policies sold for Americans who vacation in Mexico with their American registered and insured cars.

ehall - 11-30-2019 at 01:46 PM

I dont remember bajabound ever asking for that info. Curious.

sancho - 11-30-2019 at 03:29 PM

A few yrs. back, to my recollection, to get full coverage thru
Bajabound, one had to have full coverage in the US. They
have done away with that requirement. Not having a
policy in front of me, I don't think they require one to have any US
coverage.
I don't see any of the US Mex Ins Brokers, club or otherwise
to necessarily be cheap. A box on bajabound application
form is there to check if you live in Baja, which logically
raises the policy cost

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2019 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You live in Mexico, Larry.
There are policies sold for Americans who vacation in Mexico with their American registered and insured cars.
AHH David I do have tourist Mex INS on my US plated trucks .They never asked that question if USA ins. Also as I stated in the past when my 12 prerunner big wreck .Me not driving the mex Ins fixed it never asked if I had USA ins or resident mex.. Witch I did not have so Im thinking not all Mex INS the same

David K - 11-30-2019 at 05:44 PM

OK, Larry... I always was asked by Baja Bound or Discover Baja to provide the U.S. insurance company name. My last policy was in 2018. In 2019, my two trips were with TV crews riding in their vehicles.

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2019 at 06:34 PM

That would suck if I had to get usa ins on my two trucks. Even that.they have not been in CA over 12 years. Hope this is only a few ins. Company's.

bajatrailrider - 12-11-2019 at 10:07 PM

I guess I got the right company not asking about USA ins. As both trucks have not been in states over ,,12 years
So why would I need ins. In USA if your next company wants that time to change company

BajaNomad - 12-12-2019 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I dont remember bajabound ever asking for that info. Curious.

Baja Bound asks for and retains info on my USA policy via my account on their system. I don't have to re-enter it each time unless something has changed.

fyi