BajaNomad

Where's the VIN on your trailer?

caj13 - 12-15-2019 at 04:18 PM

getting paperwork together, hauling an enclosed trailer across. Danged of I can find the VIN location - anyone have any ideas?

There is a 5 digit number on one of the rails up by the hitch, but it has a real vin number according to the title, but I can't find it

chuckie - 12-15-2019 at 04:25 PM

That's it

mtnpop - 12-15-2019 at 04:31 PM

usually always on the hitch frame sometimes on the inside of the channel but mostly on the outside. Since you have the title it should have the manuf name you can google the manuf and and see if their site shows where they put the tag or label.
the 4 digit maybe the numbers for dimensions. or date of manuf.
good luck

Bob and Susan - 12-15-2019 at 04:49 PM

its on your registration...

if none is on the trailer ...go to a trophy shop and print a "tag"

then...screw or glue it on

should cost $5

edit: put it in a spot easy to read

[Edited on 12-15-2019 by Bob and Susan]

Alm - 12-15-2019 at 06:11 PM

On the hitch frame, or on the front wall outside, or on the wall inside the trailer.

Maderita - 12-16-2019 at 01:46 AM

The VIN should be a combination of 17 letters and numbers. But, not always. My home-built trailer was assigned 8 letters and numbers by the CHP.
The metal stick-on tag became almost illegible after a few decades. Aduana (Mexican customs) agents gave me a hard time. So, I stamped the VIN into 3 places on the frame. Make sure that the number matches your title and registration.
Letter/number stamp kits are inexpensive.
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-steel-letternumber-stamp...
Also available in 3/8" size.
Tips: Clamp a straight edge to the frame for aligning. A short piece of 1" x 4" wood will do.
Hold the stamp with Vise Grips rather than your fingers. Don't ask me how I know.

caj13 - 12-16-2019 at 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I do have the stamp kit Maderita talked about. Using the wood as a guide to keep it straight is genius.

I will go ahead and stamp it in an easy to see / read place along the frame rail leading to the hitch set up

advrider - 12-16-2019 at 08:46 AM

Tape it off and hit it with a little silver paint when your done and it will really pop and not rust, make it easier to see..