BajaNomad

la cañada

pauldavidmena - 1-21-2020 at 08:56 AM

Todos Santos, where I will be visiting soon, features a space called "La Cañada del Diablo". I know what diablo means, but looking up "la cañada" on the Google Translate yields "glen", while SpanishDict.com offers "gully", "ravine" and "stream" in addition to "glen". Does anyone know how the word is commonly used in Mexico (and specifically BCS)?

RnR - 1-21-2020 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Todos Santos, where I will be visiting soon, features a space called "La Cañada del Diablo". I know what diablo means, but looking up "la cañada" on the Google Translate yields "glen", while SpanishDict.com offers "gully", "ravine" and "stream" in addition to "glen". Does anyone know how the word is commonly used in Mexico (and specifically BCS)?

Your question just popped up while I was talking to a local Mexican friend in La Ventana. So I asked him on the spot ----

His explanation -

La cañada - a smaller gully or ravine caused by local rain runoff typically with sloping earthen sides.

El cañon - a much larger canyon typically with higher rock walls on each side.

So I asked him what the difference was between a cañon and an arroyo.

El arroyo - an arroyo is the big, wide sandy drainage path downstream from the mouth of the canyon (cañon). The key here seemed to be "wide and sandy" and a depositional area rather than an erosional area.

David K - 1-21-2020 at 09:48 AM

On maps:

Arroyos (normally dry desert washes) but also running streams.

Rios: Rivers (or in California, 'bigger' streams)

Cañada is indeed a smaller canyon, gully, gorge, ravine. They can be big, too. Just not as magnificent as a cañon (canyon).

pauldavidmena - 1-21-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Your question just popped up while I was talking to a local Mexican friend in La Ventana. So I asked him on the spot ----

His explanation -

La cañada - a smaller gully or ravine caused by local rain runoff typically with sloping earthen sides.

El cañon - a much larger canyon typically with higher rock walls on each side.

So I asked him what the difference was between a cañon and an arroyo.

El arroyo - an arroyo is the big, wide sandy drainage path downstream from the mouth of the canyon (cañon). The key here seemed to be "wide and sandy" and a depositional area rather than an erosional area.

Thanks for the reply! Given the context, that makes total sense. In any case, it's good to watch one's step while walking. ;D