BajaNomad

Hangkai 3.6 hp Outboard Motor

mojo_norte - 2-4-2020 at 01:16 PM

Any thoughts ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322Aq735A9c

Alm - 2-4-2020 at 05:36 PM

My thought is - it looks ugly and sounds ugly :)
Get 4-stroke Suzuki 2.5. Quiet, clean, minimal vibration. 9 pounds heavier.

Edit-PS: On a brief glance - you have to mess with oil mix on Hangkai, no water cooling on Idle, and when it does run water pump it's peeing straight onto itself instead of shooting it back where you can see it.

[Edited on 2-5-2020 by Alm]

mojo_norte - 2-4-2020 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
My thought is - it looks ugly and sounds ugly :)
Get 4-stroke Suzuki 2.5.

I concur

Alm - 2-4-2020 at 05:54 PM

I PS-ed to elaborate a little in earlier post - though all small 2-strokes are noisy, vibration and not too fuel-efficient.

My 2nd choice after Suzi would've been 4-stroke Honda BF2.3. Air-cooled so you don't need to give it freshwater bath in a bucket after every ride. No concerns with weeds sucked into cooling system, either. Different sound than Suzi - because of air cooling, slightly noisier and different/higher tone.

freediverbrian - 2-4-2020 at 09:15 PM

We all know the hangkai is not going to be as good as a Honda but the price point is the question.
It's like telling someone who is buying a Kia Soul to buy a Lexus because it's better.
Is it going to be a serviceable engine?
Hangkai is $200 a Honda is $800

[Edited on 2-5-2020 by freediverbrian]

Marc - 2-5-2020 at 07:44 AM

Aren't 2 strokes illegal in most states?:?:

chuckie - 2-5-2020 at 08:15 AM

Have we now moved Baja to the USA? God help us if thats true!

Alm - 2-5-2020 at 10:32 AM

Baja and the rest of "messico" wouldn't know legal from illegal. But gringo buyers of those stinky lawnmowers with propeller are in the USA.

Small motors can be a pain. This is a (relatively) longterm investment, you want it to be as reliable as possible.

John Harper - 2-5-2020 at 11:14 AM

Don't forget to bring a paddle or an oar, you'll likely need it.

John

del mar - 2-5-2020 at 12:07 PM

here's a fellow that actually bought one..........

I purchased a Hangkai 3.5 hp engine that arrived yesterday. I filled the barrel with water, checked the fluid level in the gear box and mixed my 20:1 break in gas. It started after the 8th pull and ran roughly. I was able to keep it running and started a break procedure that I used to use for 2 cycle airplane engines. I noticed that there was an excess of exhaust smoke and a cough that would occur at higher rpms. I also noticed that not much water was coming out of the bleed hole and that the centrifugal clutch would engage at high rpm only. It ran for about 30 minutes and then suddenly died completely.

This morning I decided to tear it down. This is what I found:

1The inner carburetor was loose and leaking air.
2.The fuel lines were loose.
3. The air valve in the fuel fill cap had was not functional and would not let air in.
4. The kill lines ran too close to the exhaust and had melted through and were shorted against the exhaust pipe, thus no spark.
5. The 1/4" pump line to from the impeller was not in its hole in the bottom where it came out of the pump.
6. the Bowden cable was touching the exhaust and had melted the cover off in one spot.

Now on the plus side. I found that the engine was fairly well designed. I found that the engine was probably capable of good service.

The fix:

1. I removed the inner carb mounting intake and lightly sealed it with non hardining Permatex. I was carfull not to over torque the set screws. I never new a man to under torque a bolt.
2. I bought spring clips for the fuel hoses.
3. I disassembled the fuel cap. The inner workings simply snap off. I carefully shortened the lips on the valve about a scant millimeter. reassembled it and made sure that I could blow through it and that it would seal when I sucked through it.
4. I turned the magneto coil over and rerouted the ignition lines. This gave me more room between the spark plug wire and exhaust pipe. I spaced the magneto with a piece of thin card board before tightening the bolts to get the proper air gap. This is probably better done with feeler gauge, it works.
5. I disassembled the engine from the down shaft and removed the cover plate to the centrifugal clutch. I weakened the spring by prying it until it was stretched enough to allow the prop to engage just above idle. This is trial and error and may take several tries to get right---go slow. Against all odds, mine came out close enough on the stretch. I reassembled the hole with high temp RTV.
6. I used cable ties and rerouted the electrical and hoses away from exhaust.
Finally, I used blue Locktite on all assembly.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but It took me two hours to do all of this.

It now runs beautifully. No missing and the prop starts turning at slightly above idle. I now have water coming out of the bleed port.

As with a lot of Asian imports, There isn't the care in assembly and inspections. This causes a lot of good engineering (after all most are trained in our schools in the USA) to get a bad rap. I am now very happy with this little dingy motor.

( from The Hull Truth)

[Edited on 2-5-2020 by del mar]

Why Not ?

MrBillM - 2-5-2020 at 07:40 PM

At that ( relatively insignificant) price ? Sounds like a little pre-use work (not unusual with Chi-Com products) will (probably) insure a good result.

Customer reviews on Amazon.com are 53 % 5 star and 48 % 1-2 star with (2) of the negatives not meaningful i.e. "3.5 hp not enough" and "not compatible with Ethanol fuel".

basautter - 2-7-2020 at 04:50 AM

All things considered (including above comments), I would (and have) opt for a Yamaha, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki or Evinrude outboard, especially if personal safety is at risk. I have personally seen too many quality issues with Chinese brand motors (I know some or the others are assembled in China). The engineering is generally good (often older designs purchased from more established companies), but materials and manufacturing quality is often questionable. Chinese products are getting better though. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years. Do you feel lucky?

Marc - 2-7-2020 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
All things considered (including above comments), I would (and have) opt for a Yamaha, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki or Evinrude outboard, especially if personal safety is at risk. I have personally seen too many quality issues with Chinese brand motors (I know some or the others are assembled in China). The engineering is generally good (often older designs purchased from more established companies), but materials and manufacturing quality is often questionable. Chinese products are getting better though. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years. Do you feel lucky?

I have a Nissan 4HP that I have been using in Baja for 4 years. A 4 stroke outboard motor that I can use in the states without worrying about local restrictions. Not cheap though.

bajaric - 2-7-2020 at 12:17 PM

Not sure if 2 smokes are illegal in Mexico, but they should be. I had a 40hp Evinrude 2 stroke on a boat years ago, was always accompanied by my own private oil slick. The oil is expelled in the exhaust, where it floats on the surface, smothering whatever life is present there, like clam eggs or whatever else floats on the surface of the ocean. I have often wondered if the whale watching tours are still running two strokes.

basautter - 2-7-2020 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Not sure if 2 smokes are illegal in Mexico, but they should be. I had a 40hp Evinrude 2 stroke on a boat years ago, was always accompanied by my own private oil slick. The oil is expelled in the exhaust, where it floats on the surface, smothering whatever life is present there, like clam eggs or whatever else floats on the surface of the ocean. I have often wondered if the whale watching tours are still running two strokes.

2 smokes are legal in Mexico. I am pretty sure that is where most retired motors from the states end up. The whale watching tours I have been on use Honda 4-strokes. Wonderful motors!

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by basautter]

Alm - 2-9-2020 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
All things considered (including above comments), I would (and have) opt for a Yamaha, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki or Evinrude outboard, especially if personal safety is at risk. I have personally seen too many quality issues with Chinese brand motors (I know some or the others are assembled in China). The engineering is generally good (often older designs purchased from more established companies), but materials and manufacturing quality is often questionable. Chinese products are getting better though. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years.

Chinese are copying. By the time they copy some model, the original will have been replaced with something better.

Nissan are made by Tohatsu, and so are small Mercury motors. They don't make small 2-strokes, only 4-strokes. Very reliable, better design than Suzuki, not to mention Chinese knock-offs.

The lightest small 4-stroke motors are Suzuki DF 2.5 and Honda BF 2.3, ~29 lbs. Other 2-4 HP 4-strokes weigh at least 40 lbs. Makes a big difference when you have to lift it.

When you can't make it home because of some motor problem, you will question the wisdom of saving money on this. Suzuki and Honda come with 3 years warranty, Chinese motors - 1 year.

One more thought - I would not a enjoy a motor with centrifugal clutch like Hangkai - this means there is no forward-neutral, motor jumps into gear when you rev it up slightly above the Idle, whether you want it or not. Honda BF2.3 also has centrifugal clutch, but quality is good and air-cooled system can be a good thing too.

[Edited on 2-10-2020 by Alm]

Barry A. - 2-9-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

Not in CA or Utah. I have 3 2-strokes and run them legally in many of the local lakes. (a 10 hp, a 15 hp, and a 35hp)

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Not in CA or Utah. I have 3 2-strokes and run them legally in many of the local lakes. (a 10 hp, a 15 hp, and a 35hp)

2 strokes motors are banned from lake tahoe and few other places that had problems with fuel pollution of water bodies.

i dont think they even sell 2 stroke lawn mowers anymore in CA,... good thing, as 2 stroke landscaping equipment is smoggy equipment. if they do still sell 2 stroke lawn mowers, they are probably fuel injected and not carburated (i think)

my lawn mower is electric (battery), it is much more enjoyable to use than smelly/messy gasoline lawn mower

BajaParrothead - 2-9-2020 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

2 strokes motors are banned from lake tahoe and few other places that had problems with fuel pollution of water bodies.

Not all 2 strokes are banned on Tahoe. The DFI engines are exempt from the 2 stroke ban. Some popular 2 strokes that are still allowed, including my Yamahas:
Evinrude E-TEC (2-stroke DFI)
Mercury Optimax (2-stroke DFI)
Yamaha High Pressure Direct Injection (2-stroke DFI)

Alm - 2-10-2020 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

my lawn mower is electric (battery), it is much more enjoyable to use than smelly/messy gasoline lawn mower

Fishes and other marine life would (probably) said the same about 2-stroke outboards - smelly and polluting. If they could talk.