BajaNomad

Mexican Credit Card Tax 16%

BajaMama - 2-13-2020 at 12:06 PM

Hello Nomads, please don't laugh at this question.

I'm traveling to BCS in a couple weeks for whale watching. We will stay in Loreto for a couple days of fun. I booked a charter boat and noticed the charge was significantly more than the quoted price. I was told the extra amount was a 16% Mexican tax.

Is this legitimate? I have never paid such a thing to my recollection, though the only time I have used a CC in Mexico was to pay for hotel rooms a couple of years in the YucataƄ. BTW I have a Travel Visa so my bank does not charge any foreign transaction fees.

Bajaboy - 2-13-2020 at 12:11 PM

A core element of the Mexican tax system is a value-added tax (VAT), known by its acronym in Spanish, IVA. This term means Impuesto al Valor Agregado. It is a 16% tax levied in the country's interior, and 8% in Mexico's border region. It is important to note that this tax is levied on a cash basis.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mexican+iva+tax&rlz=1C1K...

JZ - 2-13-2020 at 12:21 PM

What boat did you book? How much? Where are you going? We might be able to save you money.

[Edited on 2-13-2020 by JZ]

Howard - 2-13-2020 at 01:36 PM

If you pre book you will probably be charged that tax as if they report it, they have to pay it as well.

If you book at the marina directly with the Captain or the person who hawks his boat, the price is included.

Same theory all over the world, if cash goes directly in the pocket, most people do not declare it to their respective government.

BajaMama - 2-14-2020 at 07:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What boat did you book? How much? Where are you going? We might be able to save you money.

[Edited on 2-13-2020 by JZ]

We booked the Want to Fish in Loreto. - price not too bad for all day, our goal is to look at wildlife in the marine preserve and snorkel (yes I have a wetsuit). Maybe see a blue whale. It is a private charter so we are only peeps which is what we wanted.

weebray - 2-14-2020 at 08:33 AM

All published prices in BCS are required to include IVA.

surabi - 2-14-2020 at 08:52 PM

The 16% tax has nothing to do with your credit card. Mexico has a 16% tax on goods and services (IVA). That was the amount you saw on your credit card for the tour.
Sometimes the tax is included in the original price you see, sometimes it's added afterwards.
Nothing whatsoever to do with a credit card charge.

JZ - 2-14-2020 at 09:26 PM

To take a panga out to Isla Coronado for 4-5 hours it will cost you 1,800 pesos, or about $100. You can walk to the marina and find a boat pretty easily.

To go to Puerto Balandra on Isla Carmen it will cost you about 2,500-3,000 pesos.

Another spot to hit is Isla Danzante. You can leave from the marina in Loreto, or pick up a boat in Puerto Escondido. Going from Loreto to Danzante for the day will be about 5,000 pesos.

If you want to get really adventurous, drive down to Agua Verde and find a panga to take you out in the bay.

[Edited on 2-15-2020 by JZ]