BajaNomad

San Diegan stuck in Mexican jail after crashing without insurance

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2020 at 09:48 PM

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Reminder: insurance is good (so is a valid fmm)

https://www.10news.com/news/san-diegan-stuck-in-mexican-jail...

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Friends and family are desperately trying to secure the release of a 41-year-old San Diego man who has been held in a Mexican jail since Sunday.

Rob Thomas, a Marine veteran and avid surfer, has been kept in custody after Mexican authorities determined he was at fault for a traffic collision that sent four people to the hospital, according to friends and local news outlet Rosarito en la Noticia.

Under Mexican law, drivers found at fault in a collision can be detained until they prove they can cover the estimated costs of the crash.

Thomas did not have valid car insurance in Mexico, so authorities are demanding a cash bond, said longtime friend Mikey “Beats” Beltran. The amount of the bond is being negotiated by an attorney representing Thomas, but it could be $20,000 to $50,000, friends said.

“This is without a doubt a traveler’s worst nightmare, ending up in a foreign jail surrounded by people that don’t speak your language,” he said. “They don’t feed the people in detention, and so friends of ours that are down there, they’ve had to feed him daily.”

Thomas was in Rosarito on a surf trip. After eating tacos with his girlfriend, Thomas made a left turn in his pickup truck and collided with a passenger van Sunday around 5:10 p.m. on Highway Rosarito-Ensenada near the Las Rocas hotel.

Two adults and two children in the passenger van were taken to the hospital, Rosarito en la Noticia reported.

Thomas' mother, Pauline Thomas, said the U.S. Consulate provided a list of attorneys, but otherwise not much help.

"I’ve cried so much, my eyes are almost swollen shut," she said by phone from Kansas. "I need him to be safe. He’s my baby."

Friends are now scrambling to come up with the money to get Thomas out of custody and have launched a GoFundMe campaign.

“The passenger van, they’re saying that thing is worth $20,000. The injuries to people, someone has to have surgery because they have a broken hip,” Beltran said. “So we’re talking tens of thousands of dollars.”

Standard U.S. auto insurance does not cover travelers in Mexico. Drivers must secure a separate insurance policy through an authorized Mexican insurance company, which typically costs about $12 a day.

“You are gambling if you go down there without insurance, and this is the worst-case-scenario that can happen,” Beltran said.

A Penny (stupidly) Saved ...............

MrBillM - 2-19-2020 at 10:30 PM

.......... And a LOT of Dollars burned.

IF they can raise it.

It's hard to imagine anyone (other than friends or relatives) contributing to a "GoFundMe" for such a screw-up.

caj13 - 2-19-2020 at 10:34 PM

should have "go fund me" ed the insurance cost. Guy thought he was a genius - saving a couple hundred bucks, turns out hes not as smart as he thought he was, so now he needs people to fund his stupidity!

Ateo - 2-19-2020 at 10:50 PM

Nice truck down the drain too with no insurance...........

Hope everyone is OK and this gets resolved.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing a few times (no insurance) back in my early 20's........

surabi - 2-19-2020 at 11:35 PM

"I need him to be safe. He's my baby." Says his mother. No words about the people he injured. Maybe she should have impressed upon him the need to do intelligent things like not drive without proper insurance.

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2020 at 06:44 AM

Oh my Gosh, this is indeed a nightmare and a lesson for everyone. Get the FMM and have insurance.

Awful situation.

mtgoat666 - 2-20-2020 at 06:59 AM

“Thomas was in Rosarito on a surf trip. After eating tacos with his girlfriend, Thomas made a left turn in his pickup truck and collided with a passenger van Sunday around 5:10 p.m.“

I wonder if he had beers with his tacos?
The article is all about sympathizing with the apparently at-fault driver,... little mention of the injured victims...

“Friends are now scrambling to come up with the money to get Thomas out of custody and have launched a GoFundMe campaign.”

Is there a gofundme for the 2 children victims?

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by mtgoat666]

PaulW - 2-20-2020 at 08:43 AM

Money will resolve the issue, however the stay in jail is horrific. No food and packed in a cell with the local drunks and drug users. The stay can be longer than is reasonable as the judicial system is very slow. Besides someone that brings food has to bring enough for all the persons in the same cell. Here in San Felipe the local restaurants are sympathetic and help with getting enough food and cutting the price to a reasonable amount.
OMG, Never go to Mexico without vehicle liability insurance.

The photo connected to the story...

David K - 2-20-2020 at 09:23 AM

Accident.jpg - 177kB

TMW - 2-20-2020 at 10:53 AM

Dumb

BornFisher - 2-20-2020 at 11:03 AM

Hopefully, he has gringo insurance that will cover him. State Farm covers you 50 miles south of the border.

wilderone - 2-20-2020 at 11:04 AM

The photo doesn't look like he made a left turn into the passenger van. In any event, lesson learned for others.

PaulW - 2-20-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Hopefully, he has gringo insurance that will cover him. State Farm covers you 50 miles south of the border.

=== ==
Maybe, but State Farm does not provide a get out of jail provision.

David K - 2-20-2020 at 11:42 AM

Mexican Liability Insurance is a must... Collision damage may be covered in some of Mexico by your American company (like State Farm's 50 mile limit). There is just no reason to ponder the maybes. Get a full-coverage policy from a known Mexican Auto Insurance company... like the one that sponsors this website. See the ad banner at the top of Baja Nomad pages.
:light::light::light:

sancho - 2-20-2020 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Mexican Liability Insurance is a must... Collision damage may be covered in some of Mexico by your American company (like State Farm's 50 mile limit)

With DK one this one, unless someone can prove otherwise.
To my knowledge a full coverage US policy MAY cover the
damage to the policy holder vehicle within x miles of the border, but Mex does not accept US policies, so one has to have
a liability policy issued by a Mex Ins Co. Your US policy does
not cover you in Mex in regards to liability

Mr. Bills - 2-20-2020 at 12:57 PM

I agree that it is foolhardy to drive in Mexico without a Mexican auto insurance policy with adequate liability limits and bail coverage.

In addition to the Baja Bound insurance recommended by DK and insurance through other Baja travel clubs, AAA offers two very good policies.

When I investigated insurance in December 2019 just before my last trip the AAA policies provided the same or better coverage than the policies offered by the travel clubs and actually cost slightly less when comparing "apples to apples."

DawnPatrol - 2-20-2020 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Mexican Liability Insurance is a must... Collision damage may be covered in some of Mexico by your American company (like State Farm's 50 mile limit)

Amen Sancho... I am a State Farm Agent …. you cannot believe what people tell me about "their US Policy covers them in Mexico"--
I don't care what your US Policy states, if you don't have Mexican Liability (with Legal) at the least you will end up in jail or worse and spend thousands... all to save about $12 a day

People are unbelievable

With DK one this one, unless someone can prove otherwise.
To my knowledge a full coverage US policy MAY cover the
damage to the policy holder vehicle within x miles of the border, but Mex does not accept US policies, so one has to have
a liability policy issued by a Mex Ins Co. Your US policy does
not cover you in Mex in regards to liability

del mar - 2-20-2020 at 01:17 PM

too many craft brews at Sin Fronteras.......between Charly's and the K38 bridge SLOOOOW DOWN. always terrible wrecks there:(

David K - 2-20-2020 at 01:56 PM

In case there is confusion (from any typos above), every non-Mexican car going into Mexico needs Mexican liability insurance. Period.

Damage to your car might be covered by your U.S. policy, check with your agent.

Personally, I get full-coverage Mexican insurance. The policy allows your car to be repaired in the United States, too.

mtgoat666 - 2-20-2020 at 02:34 PM

In case there is confusion (from any typos above), every non-Mexican car going into Mexico needs Mexican liability insurance. Period.

Well, they don’t “need” liability ins but they “should” have it.

Like they should also have a passport (or card) and get an fmm, and use fmm only for single entry per the law, and return the fmm upon exit from Mexico; a they should floss daily, not smoke and drink only in moderation.

David K - 2-20-2020 at 02:36 PM

Goat they NEED it to be covered for accident, like the one this thread is about.

Maybe you have heard this phrase? >>> Better to HAVE it and not NEED it, then to NEED it and not HAVE it!

KasloKid - 2-20-2020 at 02:54 PM

From Baja Bound insurance:

https://www.bajabound.com/info/bcmandatoryinsurance.php

Mandatory Auto Insurance in Baja
On January 1st 2012, Baja Norte began enforcing a mandatory liability insurance law. Now all vehicles in Baja Norte - local, out of state, and foreign will be required to carry proof of liability insurance while driving.

sancho - 2-20-2020 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
AAA offers two very good policies.

I looked at AAA a few yrs. back, and did see somewhat better
price, amount of coverage for a yr. The thing that brings me
back to Bajabound is the fact with Bajabound you are not alone,
not to jnflate their clout with the Mex Ins Co's, but at least you
are not dealing solely with a phone call to Mex City hoping
for an adjuster, I believe Geoff will go some distance in assisting. I've driven several times with no Mex Ins.
and a beer between my legs. A lot older now, but don't think
I'm going too far out on a limb to suggest it is still common

John Harper - 2-20-2020 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I've driven several times with no Mex Ins. and a beer between my legs. A lot older now, but don't think
I'm going too far out on a limb to suggest it is still common

I hear you, brother. Thank goodness we were lucky.

John

Paco Facullo - 2-20-2020 at 08:03 PM

How many of us still have a beer while driving on dirt roads ??

I have'ta admit I still do.... It's a freedom and nostalgia thing.. I love it!

Although I'm not talkin' drunk..

surabi - 2-20-2020 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Wrong. Liability insurance is legally required in Mexico. Doesn't mean eveyone has it, but it isn't a "should" rather than "need".

sancho - 2-20-2020 at 08:30 PM

My beer habit was not confined to dirt roads, totally irresponsible.
I understand what you mean, off pavement towards the beach with little no traffic is different

basautter - 2-21-2020 at 06:28 AM

My understanding is you need a valid tourist permit for insurance to be valid. I know someone who got in a motorcycle wreck with valid insurance and no permit, and his insurance was not honored. Luckily, no other people or vehicles were involved, so he lost his bike and his significant injuries were not covered. Bad, but could have been worse...

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2020 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Wrong. Liability insurance is legally required in Mexico. Doesn't mean eveyone has it, but it isn't a "should" rather than "need".

The law also says thou shalt not drive on the beach. Gringos still do it. I have never heard of any active enforcement of the law saying you must have insurance, except in cases like this after a crash.

The reality is you should have it, but dk’s statement was over the top: ”every non-Mexican car going into Mexico needs Mexican liability insurance. Period.“

So I say “should” not “need”.

P.s I don’t drive on the beach, and I always carry insurance.

pacificobob - 2-21-2020 at 07:10 AM

Ya but, think how your Spanish will improve in jail!

Bajazly - 2-21-2020 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

"Jesus loves you" may take on a whole different meaning too.

bajabuddha - 2-21-2020 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

"Jesus loves you" may take on a whole different meaning too.

:rolleyes: Took me a minute, but that's funny right there! :lol:

David K - 2-21-2020 at 01:03 PM

He's been released... according to a Facebook friend. I asked for a link...

mtgoat666 - 2-27-2020 at 09:48 AM

So, this rob thomas guy is out of jail and back home in PB. CBS8 ran a sob story about how bad it was for rob thomas to be in jail, but did not once mention the victims.

motoged - 2-27-2020 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
How many of us still have a beer while driving on dirt roads ??

I have'ta admit I still do.... It's a freedom and nostalgia thing.. I love it!

Although I'm not talkin' drunk..

"Well, your Honour, I admit I had an open beer when driving, and, yes, those empty cans are mine.....but I swear I was not drunk. ":biggrin::biggrin:

I have seen key-chain breathalizers for sale in automotive shops....a great party toy.

Bajazly - 2-27-2020 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

"Well, your Honour, I admit I had an open beer when driving, and, yes, those empty cans are mine.....

If you throw all the empties out the window, because they will be gone tomorrow, problem solved. :cool::lol::lol:

del mar - 2-27-2020 at 01:55 PM

man its a hot one
like seven inches from the midday sun......

Don Pisto - 2-27-2020 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
man its a hot one
like seven inches from the midday sun......

guessing a different Rob Thomas!:lol: