BajaNomad

Southbound check opned at San Ysidro/EL Chapparell

RocketJSquirrel - 2-28-2020 at 11:27 AM

Any further news? This was noted on the Punta Banda Newsletter a few days ago:

https://groups.io/g/puntabandanewsletter/topic/u_s_check_at_...

Not sure if you have to be subscribed so I will copy and paste below:

A local resident (American, retired) of Punta Banda went through the San Ysidro / Chapparal border this week, coming into Mexico. The new U.S. outgoing inspection stations were operating, which slowed traffic into Mexico considerably. She was flagged and had to undergo a search of her vehicle and she was frisked. It took her 2 hours to get through the border. They were particularly interested in how much cash she was carrying ($2000 U.S.) + about 3000 pesos and treated her quite badly. Her message is to be sure to declare everything since the search was so absolutely thorough. Also, you may need more time to pass through the border… she arrived at 4pm and finally left around 6 pm so had to drive home in the dark. They were randomly checking cars, so it’s possible you won’t be pulled over, but this may be good information in case it happens to you.

RocketJSquirrel - 2-28-2020 at 11:32 AM

I've never been asked if I wanted to "declare" anything before leaving the country. Any ideas on what might be required?

Paco Facullo - 2-28-2020 at 11:40 AM

Only thing that I'm sure of is IF you are carrying more that $10,000 worth of cash or other monitory instruments ..

RocketJSquirrel - 2-28-2020 at 11:52 AM

Haven't had that problem lately...

BornFisher - 2-28-2020 at 11:54 AM

Went through Wednesday around noon, and there was no one in the booths. Hummmmmm

Don Pisto - 2-28-2020 at 12:05 PM

time to start using Otay

Alan - 2-28-2020 at 12:09 PM

They have been doing southbound checks for years sporadically. Doesn't sound like this is anything new. I've been told that with changes in our new dollar bills and scanners they possess they have a pretty good idea how much money you are carrying before they even ask.

BajaBlanca - 2-28-2020 at 12:53 PM

I once took the bus from San Diego to TJ and we were stopped at the border and everyone on the bus was questioned as to what we were bringing into Mexico and how much money we had. This was years ago.

When asked if I had $10,000 dollars or more, I looked her in the eye and answered I WISH.

One can bring any amount of cash but it indeed must be declared if higher than US$9,999.99. That is what I understand and it is valid for all foreign travel.

A very good friend of ours was arrested when he was stopped at a regular checkpoint in Baja and they saw his over $10,000 cash. I don't remember the details on how he got out but it did take a couple days.

Bajazly - 2-28-2020 at 01:28 PM

It may be very well technically legal to carry 10k or less in cash but in this day and age of civil forfeiture laws, there is a good chance they will liberate your cash from you if it’s over a few thousand dollars and getting it back could be a huge PITA. They don’t ever have to charge you but see the cash as committing the crime so they just keep it.

AKgringo - 2-28-2020 at 03:07 PM

If I was carrying $10,000. I wouldn't blame a border guy for wondering what a semi-scruffy old man in a twenty year old car was doing with ten grand!

[Edited on 2-28-2020 by AKgringo]

BobbyC - 2-28-2020 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
They don’t ever have to charge you but see the cash as committing the crime so they just keep it.
Is this happening with federal law enforcement? I've heard scary stories at the state and local level... :o:fire:

Yes

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/feds-seize-41000-from-texa...

RocketJSquirrel - 2-28-2020 at 04:43 PM

Civil forfeiture has been a real problem for years:

https://reason.com/2014/09/24/the-civil-asset-forfeiture-rac...

John Harper - 2-28-2020 at 05:32 PM

Some local governments fund services with seized assets. I think there's a big movement now to correct this extrajudicial taking of property.

John

Alm - 2-28-2020 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
in this day and age of civil forfeiture laws, there is a good chance they will liberate your cash from you if it’s over a few thousand dollars and getting it back could be a huge PITA. They don’t ever have to charge you but see the cash as committing the crime so they just keep it.

They do have to charge you in order to seize your cash forever.
Otherwise the customs may keep it... temporarily... don't know for how long.

The nurse in that story with 41K cash didn't declare it, to begin with. They later offered to return the cash if she promises in written not to sue them. A PITA, yes.

Alm - 2-28-2020 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I've never been asked if I wanted to "declare" anything before leaving the country. Any ideas on what might be required?

Cash >10K you may have but must declare. They are also looking (and find sometimes) weapons, drugs, stolen goods, fugitives, fake IDs.

Can happen on any crossing, they don't need a special booth to pull you over.

RocketJSquirrel - 2-29-2020 at 06:35 PM

Southbound San Ysidro into Mexico was jam-packed and 805 was backed up a long long ways.

Took Otay into TJ instead - easy peasy. No queue at all. Might just start going that way even though it involves more in-town time for TJ.

Don Pisto - 2-29-2020 at 06:49 PM

Southbound San Ysidro into Mexico was jam-packed and 805 was backed up a long long ways.

Took Otay into TJ instead - easy peasy. No queue at all. Might just start going that way even though it involves more in-town time for TJ.

did you take Industrial to blvd2000 or the 2 to the free road?

RocketJSquirrel - 2-29-2020 at 07:04 PM

No. Prefer the "scenic" route, thus the slog across town. I hate that Blvd 2000 drive. I am here to enjoy myself.

BornFisher - 2-29-2020 at 08:10 PM

Wondering what day and what time. SY southbound is always backed up in the afternoon on weekdays.

RocketJSquirrel - 2-29-2020 at 09:15 PM

That was about 8AM Saturday. Today.

BornFisher - 2-29-2020 at 09:47 PM

That was about 8AM Saturday. Today.

How were the toll booth lines? I got stuck in a line that was backed up the Playas once. Took at least 30 minutes, on a Saturday about 11 AM.

RocketJSquirrel - 3-2-2020 at 03:09 PM

Playa toll was backed up to the Playas exit. Busy but no back up at Rosarito and Ensenada.

RocketJSquirrel - 3-2-2020 at 03:11 PM

The SB congestion has been enough hassle without the new USA border check. Guess my favorite crossing SB will be Otay for a while. I feel sorry for all the people who live in TJ and work in San Diego. What a PITA.

RocketJSquirrel - 3-11-2020 at 11:23 AM

Is this US southbound check still open and creating a mess? Heading that way in a few days and would prefer to cross at SY, but will do Otay if it means avoiding the madness.