BajaNomad

Mulege/San Ignacio accommodations

23S52N - 4-4-2020 at 10:28 AM

Good morning. I'm trying to plan my trip back to Canada from La Paz in the next 10 days and would like constructive feedback from anyone in Mulege and or San Ignacio who knows what accommodations are open now. I realize the BCS govt has ordered all hotels closed effective April 6, but hoping to find one. While I usually stay at La Serenidad, I am not getting any reply from there either by email or phone. Would appreciate knowlegeable and helpful input. Would be interested in any available in San Ignacio as well. Thanks

BajaBlanca - 4-4-2020 at 10:48 AM

La Huerta in San Ignacio is closed. Not sure who else might be open there.

azucena - 4-4-2020 at 10:48 AM

According to the Federal Government decree issued earlier this week, ALL hotels are supposed to close, along with all beaches.

On Talk Baja there was a post where someone mentioned a hotel in Guerrero Negro was allowing folks to camp in their parking lot. My best guess would be hotels in Mulege and San Ignacio are indeed closed. The decree is "supposed" to be in effect until the end of April. whether this is the case or not, will likely depend on whether threat of the virus here in Baja rises or falls.

You may want to plan to sleep in your vehicle.
I am leaving in a few days heading north and will post here what I encounter.

23S52N - 4-4-2020 at 11:03 AM

Info that I got yesterday from Canadian Consulate is that the Mexican govt. has advised 'some' hotels may accept guests on a humanitarian basis, pretty vague at the best. Would consider sleeping in the truck if I could stay in the parking lot of a hotel.

Also would appreciate any concrete info on BOLA as that is my usual last stop before heading north to Mexicali. I did go on San Felipes website yesterday and while they do have some checkpoints around the town, it appears they are only interested in those southbound who are non residents of the town.
http://sanfelipe.com.mx/

AKgringo - 4-4-2020 at 11:11 AM

Shutting down hotels is one thing, but if they really want to keep people in place, shutting down gas stations is a possibility.

Very few vehicles can carry enough fuel to drive from La Paz to the border, but I would carry what you can, and fill up more often than usual where stations are open!

Bob and Susan - 4-4-2020 at 11:12 AM

all hotels and rentals MUST close until April 30th

all hotels MUST be vacant by April 6th or face a FINE

All beaches are CLOSED

Only take out for eating places

Not a time to travel in Baja

azucena - 4-4-2020 at 11:19 AM

My best guess would be not to go to Bay of LA at this time.

elskel - 4-4-2020 at 11:37 AM

Hunker in, the peninsula is shut down.

KasloKid - 4-4-2020 at 11:39 AM

USA/Mexico border hours are changing:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94272

Be prepared to self-isolate for 14 days once back in Canada. Penalties if you don't.... Stock up on groceries if you can, before you get back as you're not allowed to stop anywhere between the USA/Canada border and your home to shop or visit.

I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel/motel, no way, no how, any time during the pandemic. I think the suggestion to sleep in your rig is your only option. And buying gas, yes.... bring extra with you, and if you see gas, you buy gas (Baja dirt bike rule...)

If you have access to hand sanitizer, buy lots and bring it with you. Chlorox wipes too.

Safe driving...

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 12:05 PM

In San Ignacio try the Motel at The Rice and Beans Restaurant or off Hwy 1 The Ignacio Springs B&B which is run by Canadians and has email.

Bob and Susan - 4-4-2020 at 12:10 PM

la paz last I heard has 2 dead and 18 confirmed coronavirus

YOU could be "shedding"

Don't STOP anywhere and wear a MASK

especially at the military checkpoints
remember they talk and touch every traveler

23S52N - 4-4-2020 at 12:17 PM

Some great info, support and advice here, thanks. While I would love to while away my time down here, I feel that things will get worse and travel back will not be an option. I have a spouse back in Canada, who luckily flew back in February. Rice and Beans also crossed my mind but will also look into the other suggestion, thanks. Agree that BOLA might not be a good idea, but have feelers out there right now.

Not new to travelling here, having been doing it for 10 years, but always thankful for and appreciate your input. Im up on all the Canadian regs thanks. Lots of brainstorming to do but please keep suggestions coming...much appreciated.

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 12:28 PM

If you stay at “Rice and Beans” you will need the big yellow can of Mexican Raid! Past that it’s a nice place!

paranewbi - 4-4-2020 at 12:38 PM

When I use to travel the mainland extensively, gas stations allowed overnight parking on the premises.

David K - 4-4-2020 at 12:38 PM

In my Trip #2 report, I detailed and photo'd all the accomodations in San Ignacio. That was in 2017, but may be helpful in finding a place.

BajaBlanca - 4-4-2020 at 12:38 PM

I would venture to say that you might want to hightail it north starting today or at the latest tomorrow. It is going to get more and more difficult with each passing day.

mtgoat666 - 4-4-2020 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
According to the Federal Government decree issued earlier this week, ALL hotels are supposed to close, along with all beaches.

You may want to plan to sleep in your vehicle.

why sleep in your vehicle?

lots of great places to camp along the way.
my last trip we overnighted at catavina, slept in the open under the stars, had fondue bourguignonne, potatoes and salad for dinner

azucena - 4-4-2020 at 12:59 PM

I agree with you goat, thqat is what I plan to do. However, some people do not feel comfortable pulling over and camping, hence my sleep in car message.

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I would venture to say that you might want to hightail it north starting today or at the latest tomorrow. It is going to get more and more difficult with each passing day.

+ 1

I hope you had a good reason to stay in La Paz this long ?

If'n I was you I would leave NOW and wouldn't STOP for anything Non- essential ...

Good luck, yur gonna need it ....

bajaric - 4-4-2020 at 12:59 PM

Not the best time to undertake international travel.
Perhaps consider flying out of Cabo, if there are still flights?? Of course that would entail cramming yourself into a sardine tube with a hundred people sneezing and coughing on you. Lather up with hand sanitizer and wear a mask --

If you plan on driving it I would suggest be self sufficient with food water and gas and consider yourself infected and no contact with local people en route. 12 hours 2 days gets you to the US. and don't bring the Corona!

23S52N - 4-4-2020 at 01:10 PM

Thanks folks. Lots of food for thought here. Stay safe and healthy.

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 02:35 PM

Also, I would make sure I had plenty of CASH as you never know IF a bride will be necessary...

Especially during these "unusual" times .....

AKgringo - 4-4-2020 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Also, I would make sure I had plenty of CASH as you never know IF a bride will be necessary...

If a bride is necessary, it better be a lot of cash!

KasloKid - 4-4-2020 at 02:49 PM

I second the motion of "getting out of Dodge" much sooner than later.
Hand sanitizer is impossible to find in the USA . Not sure about Canada as I'm still under a 14 day self quarantine for a few more days. If you can find it there, buy it. If none available, buy some isopropyl alcohol and paper towel.
Trump is showcasing his vision for shutting down the border... for immigrants of course, but there may be some collateral damage.
Bring your own "To Go" cup for coffee fill-ups at Oxxo stores.
Drive safe and stay healthy.

chippy - 4-4-2020 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

If a bride is necessary, it better be a lot of cash!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 03:31 PM

Not necessarily!

In Mexico you usually can “rent the bride” with the room! It’s still a good idea to take the “big yellow can” along too!

Bob and Susan - 4-4-2020 at 04:20 PM

you are coming from a "baja hot zone"...

shelter in place

if you go...do not go into any store or eating place...
stay in the car...
don't forget the mask for the gas and army

YOU are the danger now NOT "them"

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 04:36 PM

"you are coming from a "baja hot zone"...

When you are asked "Where are you coming from and where are you going "
LIE !!

Say you came from whichever town you last passed and are DIRECTLY leaving the Country !

"If a bride is necessary, it better be a lot of cash!"

Must'a been a Freudian slip???

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by Paco Facullo]

23S52N - 4-5-2020 at 09:45 AM

FYI, La Serenidad in Mulege advised me yesterday that they are closed effective April 6.

Paco Facullo - 4-5-2020 at 10:20 AM

23S52N,

Please report back when you made it home so we all know you are OK.

And let us know what you experienced on you journey as it may help others in the same situation..

Best of luck and stay safe !

23S52N - 4-5-2020 at 12:58 PM

Gracias. I will let you all know what transpires.

Alm - 4-5-2020 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

Also would appreciate any concrete info on BOLA as that is my usual last stop before heading north to Mexicali.

The latest report from BOLA is that the town is open, no roadblocks anymore (apparently there were blocks before). But they asking, begging and urging foreigners NOT to come to town because the residents are hanging by a thread in this godforsaken place with no healthcare of any kind, and supplies in grocery stores are very limited.

Udo - 4-6-2020 at 08:43 AM

Two accommodations were open still: Rice and Beans and Ignacio Inn B&B.

Bob and Susan - 4-6-2020 at 10:46 AM

they are closed as of today

Bob H - 4-8-2020 at 12:49 PM

I'm sure so many folks are stuck somewhere down there. What a nightmare! Good luck everyone.

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by Bob H]

Alm - 4-8-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  
I'm sure so many folks are stuck somewhere down there. What a nightmare!

Those who chose to stay put, did it because they consider it to be safer than in the US at the moment. And because the weather is nicer.
Returning citizens are allowed, always have been. Gas stations are open and cheap, airlines From Baja to the US and Canada are flying.

surabi - 4-8-2020 at 11:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  
I'm sure so many folks are stuck somewhere down there. What a nightmare! Good luck everyone.

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by Bob H]

Being stuck in Baja doesn't exactly sound like a "nightmare" to me. I can think of a whole lot worse places to get stuck. Like Ecuador, where the dead bodies are left lying in the street or tossed in a dumpster.

[Edited on 4-9-2020 by surabi]

Alm - 4-9-2020 at 10:57 AM

Update on BOLA:
there is a roadblock, looks like a local/unofficial, doesn't mean - inefficient. Non-essential travelers are strongly discouraged, so overnight stop like the OP was planning, might not work. There are still some tourists and semi-permanent gringos in town so "some" hotels and camps are still open - but what's the use if they won't let you in...
Roadblock

23S52N - 4-9-2020 at 12:33 PM

Was only feeling out BOLA, and have no intention of stopping there. FYI, spoke to National Guard today who advised highways are good to travel for us heading north and to Mexicali. He knew of no incidents around San Felipe.

As an aside, sometimes it is easier to make a decision about not going when you live here as PRs. Some of us dont have that luxury and believe me, are not relishing having to travel...many have no choice. Remember that the name of this site is Baja NOMADS. Always easier to quarterback from the comfort of your home. We all started our journey as visitors. Whether you live in Mexico or not, remember that the Mexicans still consider you as a visitor.

Accomodations

Deerko - 4-9-2020 at 01:56 PM

I have friends that left Loreto yesterday and went straight to San Felipe and got a room at Alphonsinas (?). They tried every place in G N it’s no luck. 11 hours Loreto to San Felipe. Clear roads and no problems with gas.

David K - 4-9-2020 at 02:11 PM

Alfonsina's is about 100 miles before San Felipe. Good news on the gas sales.

23S52N - 4-9-2020 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Deerko  
I have friends that left Loreto yesterday and went straight to San Felipe and got a room at Alphonsinas (?). They tried every place in G N it’s no luck. 11 hours Loreto to San Felipe. Clear roads and no problems with gas.

Good info here, and thanks. I'm iron butting LP/Ignacio/Frontera in 2 days and will keep all of you posted when i have a chance once across

Deerko - 4-9-2020 at 03:50 PM

I stand corrected, my friends stayed at the Sand Dollar and they had a reservation and were the only ones there. Kiki said they would be open for anyone heading north.

Bajazly - 4-9-2020 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Deerko  
I stand corrected, my friends stayed at the Sand Dollar and they had a reservation and were the only ones there. Kiki said they would be open for anyone heading north.

This is the problem I'm seeing here the times I have gone into or thru town, national close down and stay at home order that nobody is adhering to. Not gonna work out well in the long run.

Alm - 4-9-2020 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

This is the problem I'm seeing here the times I have gone into or thru town, national close down and stay at home order that nobody is adhering to.

Not very important but stay home (unless it's necessary to go) is a state-by-state, not national. In Baja only non-essential businesses were ordered to close - this "might" include hotels in tourist areas, though without tourists they are not getting much business anyway. Restaurants can still deliver.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by Alm]

Alm - 4-9-2020 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

As an aside, sometimes it is easier to make a decision about not going when you live here as PRs. Some of us dont have that luxury and believe me, are not relishing having to travel...many have no choice.

Yeah. The luxury of having emergency care always available under Medicare Part 1, as opposed to Canadian plan expiring after 7 months out of country. Canadian expats also lose a good chunk of social pension.

Bajazly - 4-9-2020 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Not very important but stay home (unless it's necessary to go) is a state-by-state, not national. In Baja only non-essential businesses were ordered to close - this "might" include hotels in tourist areas...

Seems kind of national to me.

U. S. Embassy Health Alert 08 April 2020

CCSMexicoCity@state.gov

Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Mexico City - COVID-19 Update (April 8, 2020)

Event: Mexico COVID-19 Update (April 8, 2020)

International commercial flight options currently exist in Mexico. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Mexico at this time.

The Mexican government declared a national health emergency on March 30 and imposed restrictions on non-essential activities in the public, private, and social sectors until April 30. Essential activities include medical services and supplies, grocery delivery services and stores, restaurants (for delivery and carry out only), public safety, fundamental economic functions, government social programs, and critical infrastructure. Schools in Mexico are also closed until April 30. Health authorities in Mexico are discouraging visitors from traveling to Mexico over Holy Week (Semana Santa). For more details and for information on state and municipal restrictions, please visit our COVID-19 webpage.

On April 3, Mexican Tourism and Health officials instructed hotels to cancel new and existing reservations and close for non-essential business. All accommodation services, including hotels, hostels, online platforms, and travel agencies will cease receiving reservations and will reschedule all reservations. Guests that require accommodation due to essential business activities are permitted to stay in hotels with a maximum occupancy of 15 percent. Non-resident foreign citizens currently in hotel accommodation must begin the process of returning home immediately. If a person starts showing respiratory symptoms, health authorities must be notified immediately. As a reminder, the U.S. government does not pay for lodging or other expenses incurred due to travel disruptions abroad.

Alm - 4-10-2020 at 10:12 AM

Stay-home orders are local, by state. Though health emergency is a national problem.

Hotels are not ordered to close, foreign tourists "must" get out, locally this is likely implemented depending on a town and hotel. Is one-night stop on the way North a part of getting out? :)... Most Mexicans will obey these instructions, being scared for a good reason.

Commercial flights from Mexico to the US (and to Canada) are still on. Though I see the number of flights from Baja has been reduced.

All in all, returning home now from Baja is a pain rather than impossibility. Could be riskier yet than staying put, depends on where you are.

Bob and Susan - 4-10-2020 at 02:09 PM

hotels in bcs are ordered to close...
that means NO GUESTS april 6th to April 30

it doesn't depend on the town and hotel as stated

white whale - 4-10-2020 at 02:26 PM

Best of Luck 52. I would like to know how you made out too.

If I was in your spot , and could take the time and logistics of sheltering in place - outside of a city or town - I might give it a try.

Curious how others might try, would be a good exercise in being self reliant and see how body and mind could take it.

Load up with supplies and go off road so you will not use any other local resources. What would your bug out shopping list look like for 30 days?
No Class C accommodations , a vehicle and thats it.

A modern naked and afraid episode without the naked part or an opposite sex partner.

BajaMama - 4-12-2020 at 09:56 AM

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to load up a couple gallons of drinking water and snacks/food for two to three days. Sleep in your car, you know the drill. On talk Baja peeps are indicating drive is okay, borders open and unogged, a few gas stations are closed so make sure you are fueled by Vizcaino or GN to make the gap.

Alm - 4-12-2020 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

What would your bug out shopping list look like for 30 days?
No Class C accommodations , a vehicle and thats it.

Shouldn't take more 3 days/2 nights from La Paz to the US border. 6-8 days to places close to Can/US border, incidentally this is where most Canadians live.

Living out of truck with canopy for a couple of weeks is no big deal. Backpacking stove, non-perishables like grains and canned meat/fish, sleeping bag and foam pad. The biggest issue is that the nights are still cold in Canada and most of the US.

RocketJSquirrel - 4-12-2020 at 12:55 PM

You'll find out soon enough, but a trip last week to San Diego area revealed that ALL restrooms, even at gas stations, are closed. All the places you would ordinarily go - Jack in the Box, gas station, supermarket, pharmacy. Most had a sign up that said closed by law. Even some roadside rest areas are closed. So... take TP and plan on a roadside stop when you are out of town. Whether this will be true for the full length of California, I don't know.

Is seemed the message was "If you need a bathroom, go home". Fine if you don't need to pee... or are hours or days away from home.

BajaBlanca - 4-12-2020 at 05:21 PM

Now that is a brilliant way to get folks to stay home! No bathrooms is serious.

RocketJSquirrel - 4-12-2020 at 05:28 PM

and uncomfortable!

Alm - 4-12-2020 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
a trip last week to San Diego area revealed that ALL restrooms, even at gas stations, are closed. All the places you would ordinarily go - Jack in the Box, gas station, supermarket, pharmacy.

Cruel. Though, people going to Canada usually cross from the border to somewhere in North Ca in one day and only stop to fill the tank. Rest stops should be open. And just look at all those farmlands along the Hwy 5...

AKgringo - 4-12-2020 at 06:12 PM

Finding a place to pee is not the number one problem...number two is the number one problem!

Paco Facullo - 4-12-2020 at 06:38 PM

Nothing that a 5 gallon bucket, tall kitchen trash bag and a cut piece of pipe foam insulation can't handle...

I ALWAYS have that set-up in my rig for "emergencies"

The bucket also serves as a storage unit for various things..

Alm - 4-13-2020 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
...number two is the number one problem!

Don't eat cr-ap in roadside eateries and you won't have to dump it too often or suddenly.

white whale - 4-14-2020 at 02:08 PM

Nothing that a 5 gallon bucket, tall kitchen trash bag and a cut piece of pipe foam insulation can't handle...

I ALWAYS have that set-up in my rig for "emergencies"

The bucket also serves as a storage unit for various things..

ahh the 5 gal bucket , just a few spots down from the wheel for usefulness.
Yours will do the job.
However in this scenario I was more thinking being low impact on the land and resources and if you'd have to stay holed up in a remote spot for a while. Baja is 98% uninhabited so a shovel would be key. A nice poem I came across as a reminder for the points to hit.

Squat in a spot where the sun does shine

80 paces from water where the crick don't creek

Dig a hole 15~20cm deep so your logs don't peek

Far from the trail so the chit won't stink
==================================

The squat has more benefits than you might think.

Alm - 4-14-2020 at 04:05 PM

Yours will do the job.
However in this scenario I was more thinking being low impact on the land and resources and if you'd have to stay holed up in a remote spot for a while. Baja is 98% uninhabited so a shovel would be key.

In the desert along the road the visual contamination with toilet paper is more apparent that the actual "stuff". The stuff will dry out soon but the TP will be flying around for a year. Also, broken bottles. Why people do this, is hard to understand.

twogringos - 4-15-2020 at 07:42 AM

23S52N, On April 4 we drove from Asuncion to Calexico in 9 1/2 hr with fuel in Vizcaino and Gonzaga Bay and a lunch stop. Took the East entry and was car #3 in line, Sunday 4PM PDT. From San Ignacio it would be less time.

[Edited on 4-15-2020 by twogringos]

mtgoat666 - 4-15-2020 at 09:32 AM

Yours will do the job.
However in this scenario I was more thinking being low impact on the land and resources and if you'd have to stay holed up in a remote spot for a while. Baja is 98% uninhabited so a shovel would be key.

In the desert along the road the visual contamination with toilet paper is more apparent that the actual "stuff". The stuff will dry out soon but the TP will be flying around for a year. Also, broken bottles. Why people do this, is hard to understand.

dig a hole
poop in hole
put TP in hole
burn TP
backfill hole

AKgringo - 4-15-2020 at 09:39 AM

There are lots of s-eating critters out there willing to dig up your deposit if they can. When possible, it is good to put a large rock on top the burial site.

What a gross turn this has taken! :barf:

Alm - 4-15-2020 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

dig a hole
poop in hole
put TP in hole
burn TP
backfill hole

Nice in theory but the burning part doesn't work well. First, TP is wet after use, and second, it may fly away before you make a bonfire. Need to collect it doggie bag.

BajaMama - 4-16-2020 at 06:34 AM

For jeep camping in the Sierras we have a five gallon with some sort of specialized bag that seals up. We put the sealed in the trash carrier that hangs outside the back of the jeep. Works great.

Mother of Dragons - 4-16-2020 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

dig a hole
poop in hole
put TP in hole
burn TP
backfill hole

Nice in theory but the burning part doesn't work well. First, TP is wet after use, and second, it may fly away before you make a bonfire. Need to collect it doggie bag.

Yep, doggie poop bags for all your tp works great.

bajaric - 4-16-2020 at 08:13 AM

This.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333206200570

Toilet seat that fits on 5 gallon bucket. t.p. goes in a cardboard Tecate 12 pack box. At the end of the trip the watery waste goes in the nearest outhouse or a deep hole, burn the paper and the box.
Much more comfortable than squatting in the dirt, no bags involved, surprisingly sanitary, although you have to rinse out the bucket so the checkpoint guys do not get an unpleasant surprise.

Paco Facullo - 4-16-2020 at 09:00 AM

In regards to using a 5 gal. bucket , I now bring along Poo-Pourri with me.
Who say's my Sh*t don't stink now ?

https://www.poopourri.com/