BajaNomad

What kind of fossil is this?

wilderone - 4-23-2020 at 10:43 AM

Found in El Rosario area - El Gallo formation, Cretaceous period. Was thinking a type of tree with tap root. ?

David K - 4-23-2020 at 10:51 AM

Petrified log? Looks like some I have seen near El Rosario/ La Bocana beach.

Paco Facullo - 4-23-2020 at 11:09 AM

I'll give it a shot,, ,,,,,,,,,,Whale penis ?

David K - 4-23-2020 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Hmmm... that would be a "dork". Rare photos from Erle Stanley Gardner's 1960 book, Hunting the Desert Whale.

whale dork-r.JPG - 29kB

white whale - 4-23-2020 at 11:41 AM

the thread that keeps giving....

third pic on the OP - my first thought was a dino bone. That would be outrageous to find something that big. Had a neighbour who was a dino bone hunter who'd go to Alberta each summer. His finds looked just like that. Even if wood great to come across.

Dork - i will forever remember the true meaning now. And more ESG !

Quick check on the internets -- this gem from

http://www.eartharchives.org/articles/dinosaurs-south-of-the...

"Among the best dinosaur-bearing rock formations here are the La Bocana Roja and El Gallo of northern Baja California, and the Cerro del Pueblo Formation of the State of Coahuila."

Have to put a star on the map for that.

Paco Facullo - 4-23-2020 at 11:42 AM

Thanks David,, Well then it looks possible ?

Hey, come to think about it,, I've been called a "Dork" a few times in my life .... Hummmmm

mtgoat666 - 4-23-2020 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Hmmm... that would be a "dork". Rare photos from Erle Stanley Gardner's 1960 book, Hunting the Desert Whale.

Usually called “Pink Floyd”

wilderone - 4-23-2020 at 02:00 PM

I found a part of a Lambeosaurus leg bone about ¼ mi. away, and I think the left side of the fossil in the photo might show some tree bark. There are many smaller petrified wood pieces of smaller trees in the immediate as well. So don't I think a whale carcass would be found that far inland given the environment was more a marsh than a beach. (??) The right side of the fossil is either something different or part of the whole thing (?).

I have read reports of a hadrosaur duckbill type dinosaur found around the Erendira coast, and a new tyrannosauroid found in the El Rosario area. So definitely a variety of mammals were there.

bajabuddha - 4-23-2020 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Usually called “Pink Floyd”

I always thought it was Mobey's Dick. :spingrin:

[Edited on 4-23-2020 by bajabuddha]

white whale - 4-23-2020 at 03:10 PM

Wilder - that certainly looks likes a bone in the second pic. I did not know
about the dino period in Baja. If that was confirmed in the Alberta dino area today they'd close the area pronto with fencing - oil? Even there the dinos get top billing. Public or private property those bones belong to the gov't !

Curious if Mexico universities do archeological digs or protects these areas in some way? After flash floods more treasures are revealed.

David K - 4-23-2020 at 04:14 PM

The duckbill dinosaurs and more come from El Rosario's fossil beds. http://terrapeninsular.org/en/buried-treasures-of-el-rosario...

More... http://www.eartharchives.org/articles/dinosaurs-south-of-the...

"Among the best dinosaur-bearing rock formations here are the La Bocana Roja and El Gallo of northern Baja California"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal...

[Edited on 4-23-2020 by David K]

Dinasaur Map.jpg - 142kB

wilderone - 4-23-2020 at 05:13 PM

"Mexico universities do archeological digs or protects these areas in some way"
Archaeologists, University professors from all over - mostly USA - have been studying and digging dino fossils in Baja. E.g., that Lambeosaurus bone was a leftover part of a 1965 excavation by William Morris, LA Occidental College, oversight by Los Angeles County Museum and Inst. of Geology, with Univ. of Mexico and funded by a grant from National Geographic. Excavated and gone. The work In 2004, reporting the new tyrannosaurid remains, were crews from the Univ. of California Museum of Paleontology, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, and Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Denver Museum of Nature & Science and Univ. of Washington. Stuff like that is everywhere – difficult to protect

Skipjack Joe - 4-23-2020 at 08:11 PM

What a cool find? That must've been exciting.

BajaBlanca - 4-24-2020 at 01:50 AM

Many years ago, some folks here found dinosaur bones and were very excited. Some archeologists were called, Biosphere was contacted, no one came. A whole skeleton!

Last I heard, they had stored the bones at the cooperative. I bet they are still there.

wilderone - 4-24-2020 at 08:16 AM

A whole skeleton! Now that would be exciting. Do you have any idea on identification? Could you possibly get some photographs? Is there a skull? Maybe a museum would be interested in studying it just to ID it.