BajaNomad

Where is the first place(s) you are going in Baja when things open back up?

JZ - 5-1-2020 at 06:42 PM

What will you do there?

AKgringo - 5-1-2020 at 06:59 PM

La Paz will be my first destination to finish up some dental work I started in late January. There is nothing urgent, so I won't be bee-lining back to the hive without a bit of exploring on the way down.

Once I get the work lined up, I will be making side trips to several locations that I am thinking about getting a place to spend part of my time on an annual basis.

I wanted to visit in the hottest time of the year to see how I adjust to the heat, but I think things may not be safely sorted out that soon.

JZ - 5-1-2020 at 07:08 PM

Where are you thinking to settle AK?

AKgringo - 5-1-2020 at 07:22 PM

Nowhere in the far north, or south ends of the peninsula. I like the central part of the Cortez side, but the heat and humidity may deter me. I really like the Pacific side, somewhere from Lopez Mateos to Bahia Asuncion, but there are a few places I haven't even visited yet!

Maderita - 5-1-2020 at 07:37 PM

The first place I will be going is the Aduana inspection area. Driving a van, that is guaranteed, 100% of the time.
Once that is out of the way, on to La Rumorosa and the Sierra de Juárez. Rock climbing, horseback riding, dirt bikes/quads. Hang out at the ranch. Give carrots to my burro. Have birria and homemade tortillas with my friends.

MulegeAL - 5-1-2020 at 07:45 PM

Sauls Mercado in Mulege.

Say hola to the real deal Saul, buy a couple cases of Noche Buena.

Sit on the porch with the old guy, drink cervesas!

bajatrailrider - 5-1-2020 at 09:18 PM

You should have not left Mexico . Best riding last two weeks all creeks flowing flowers everywhere.. zero restrictions off road travel.

BajaParrothead - 5-2-2020 at 12:26 AM

Headed back to the house in Los Barriles hopefully July 1st. Planning on spending a month fishing and relaxing!!

paranewbi - 5-2-2020 at 06:11 AM

December; Anywhere on the water, paddling my wife around for Kayak fishing.

Meany - 5-2-2020 at 07:04 AM

Punta Chivato to see Sr. Russ and do some fishing. :bounce:

rhintransit - 5-2-2020 at 07:25 AM

Home!

BajaBlanca - 5-2-2020 at 08:45 AM

Punta Abreojos for breakfast and see friends. Right now they are so close and so far.

bajario - 5-2-2020 at 09:07 AM

Loreto-San Juanico
Fish, surf, golf, nothing

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2020 at 09:15 AM

As I live in the US my first stop is usually Ensenada to eat some great fish tacos, coctel de mariscos, listening to some Mariachi's at Hussong's
while enjoying the double shots of fine Tequila w/ a beer back, morning micheladas along with some Birria .............

Then next stop San Quintin and beyond,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

One picture should tell it all

Howard - 5-2-2020 at 09:16 AM

[Edited on 5-2-2020 by Howard]

CJ - 5-2-2020 at 09:48 AM

I’m going to go outside get in my side by side and head up the arroyo maybe go to Lopez or San Juanico or both. Seven weeks of social distancing and staying in your house, not being allowed to go to the playa, no boating with no alcohol sales since before Easter is starting to get to me. One positive note is so far the Municipo de Loreto is covid free or other wards no cases reported yet

Tioloco - 5-2-2020 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

[Edited on 5-2-2020 by Howard]

nice boat!

del mar - 5-2-2020 at 10:30 AM

im going to Oxnard.....

thebajarunner - 5-2-2020 at 10:43 AM

Obviously first place is at the border to get a fresh FMM

Then sneak some more welding equipment past the aduana and head for the Guadalupe rehab center training shop.
Need to get that program up and running and all of our volunteer instructors have been reluctant to head south.....

shari - 5-2-2020 at 12:48 PM

Ensenada for a haircut, Costco run & pedicure of course...maybe a camping trip to the hot springs.

pacificobob - 5-2-2020 at 01:28 PM

Alaska, to spend some time on the boat

Marc - 5-2-2020 at 04:23 PM

BOLA then Mulege if and when things shake out. Could be my last though.

Tioloco - 5-2-2020 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
BOLA then Mulege if and when things shake out. Could be my last though.

Your last?

TMW - 5-3-2020 at 07:52 PM

My friend Roy and I were thinking of doing the 7 sisters then south and do some trails at the south end of Baja Sur. Maybe see how far we can go on the No Wimp Trail on the way home.

David K - 5-4-2020 at 07:48 AM

My son (now 31) wants me to take him and his wife (who was born in Mexicali) on a tour to all the places I took him when he was younger. His 2-week vacation begins June 20... We know things don't look good now, so fingers crossed.

On Christopher's wish list:

Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs
Shell Island
Matomi Canyon waterfalls
Puertecitos hot springs
Gonzaga Bay sites, incl. onyx springs
La Turquesa Canyon
Boojum Trees
Los Candeleros Canyon (north of lakebed to coast)
L.A. Bay sites
Pancho's (former place) San Rafael
Giant painted cave of Mesa el Carmen/ Pozo Alemán
Rancho Santa Ynez
Las Pintas
Punta Baja/El Rosario
La Lobera
Cielito Lindo

bajatrailrider - 5-4-2020 at 08:10 AM

That sounds like great trip David. Mexico is about month behind the states with sick people. With no end in sight so far knock on wood. No known sick people in my town. Off road at it's best after months of rain.

BajaTed - 5-4-2020 at 09:11 AM

I love my Tortas

Califia, the place with the Chupacabra painting

El Trailero in Sauzal

El Bano, by the Pemex in Valle de Trinidad, everything is served on newspaper

KurtG - 5-4-2020 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Sauls Mercado in Mulege.

Say hola to the real deal Saul, buy a couple cases of Noche Buena.

Sit on the porch with the old guy, drink cervesas!

I'm with Al. Mulege has been my main Baja destination since 1974, stays ranging from a few days to several months at a time. My calendar showed me leaving for Baja on 3/22 but by then the world had changed. I'm hoping by fall we can travel again but I'm sort of working on the assumption that it might be a year off. The future looks pretty unknowable right now.

I also have a high regard for Saul but have concerns about the "old guy" description since I am only a (very) few years behind him

Grenadiers - 5-11-2020 at 11:28 AM

We bought a house in Mulege, long wait til the paperwork is done! Gonna buy a boat once we get there. Looking at a Westcoaster Bayrunner, 18’ with a 90 horse Mercury. If anyone has a similar boat, center console type, I’d consider it. We’re selling our military truck overland vehicle. If anyone is interested in a big self-contained 4x4 ‘RV’, let me know.

BajaMama - 5-12-2020 at 07:01 AM

Punta Chivato to clean up my father-in-law's house from a roof leak and get the roof repaired/replaced. And paddle board. And snorkel. And FISH! And of course, play Texas Hold'em. Bask in the sunrise. If not for covid I would have been packing up my little old lady SUV and heading down in a few days.