BajaNomad

hey SD look up at noon!

del mar - 5-15-2020 at 10:51 AM

John Harper - 5-15-2020 at 11:11 AM

Cool, they're circling over Carlsbad, have to take a look. Thanks for the post.

John

BornFisher - 5-15-2020 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the map. Hope to see them.

John Harper - 5-15-2020 at 01:07 PM

Did not see or hear a damn thing. Perhaps stealth aircraft? I'm just south of Palomar Airport so maybe they avoided the airspace.

John

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by John Harper]

BornFisher - 5-15-2020 at 01:13 PM

Went right over my house (Encinitas). Buttttt------- I decided I needed a better view so went 1 mile away. It was a great show but I should have stayed put!!

KurtG - 5-15-2020 at 01:25 PM

They did a NorCal flyover yesterday. Flew almost directly over our house. Four F-15's in pretty close formation. We live about 5 miles from the beach aa Pismo and they were just slightly inland from our place.

chippy - 5-15-2020 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
They did a NorCal flyover yesterday. Flew almost directly over our house. Four F-15's in pretty close formation. We live about 5 miles from the beach aa Pismo and they were just slightly inland from our place.

Pismo aint norcal:lol:

bajaric - 5-15-2020 at 03:06 PM

Saw and heard one, flying west over Rolando. It was loud enough to hear it, then I went out side to look, saw it, and then it was gone.
Awesome!
SD has always been a military town. First time I have seen
a white jet instead of the usual Blue Angels at the Air Show.

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by bajaric]

KurtG - 5-15-2020 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

There are a lot of 49er and Warriors fans around here who would disagree. In any case the flight yesterday went from the Air Guard base in Fresno north to Sacramento, west to the SF Bay area and then south along the coast to Santa Barbara then back to Fresno. I have for many years felt that this area is neither northern or southern Ca. I could happily live out my remaining days never going north of Monterey or south of Santa Barbara except for my Baja trips.

AKgringo - 5-15-2020 at 03:35 PM

Earlier this week, the Air Guard did a fly over of several communities in Northern California. They were flying T38 trainers, and I am not sure which of the bases around here was their launch point.

David K - 5-15-2020 at 04:11 PM

I saw them as they circled Escondido... I was in Rancho Bernardo when they came into view (and sound too), at 12:25 today.

elgatoloco - 5-15-2020 at 04:54 PM

Rode my bicycle to Sorrento Valley Road at the 5/805 merge and watched them fly over La Jolla Scripps with smoke then do a loop over La Jolla VA two of the wingmen got out of formation then they got back in and they hauled north up the 5. Always cool to see the jets. Tbirds are my 2nd fav behind the Blues but they are all good.
:cool:

thebajarunner - 5-15-2020 at 05:16 PM

Matt
Be grateful that they did not launch rockets at youšŸ˜Ž

chippy - 5-16-2020 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

There are a lot of 49er and Warriors fans around here who would disagree. In any case the flight yesterday went from the Air Guard base in Fresno north to Sacramento, west to the SF Bay area and then south along the coast to Santa Barbara then back to Fresno. I have for many years felt that this area is neither northern or southern Ca. I could happily live out my remaining days never going north of Monterey or south of Santa Barbara except for my Baja trips.

I agree 100%. I have always considered that area south of Monterrey and north of point conception Central Coast. My favorite part of Ca.

David K - 5-16-2020 at 07:57 AM

California is indeed a diverse land geographically, and even more so if California had never been divided between two countries! Mexican California kept the adjective "Baja" but American California dropped the "Alta"... Now there are some in Mexico who want to drop Baja from the name! Some in La Paz would like their state to be called Sud California (Southern California) instead of the way too wordy Baja California Sur (South Lower California)... for the land that was the first place to be named 'California'! The body of water alongside it is still the Gulf of California, after all!
:light::biggrin:

thebajarunner - 5-16-2020 at 10:20 AM

Just for the record..... I live in "Central California"

Put your finger on the exact middle of the state
East/West and North/South
and you are hovering right over my house.

caj13 - 5-16-2020 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Not according to people in North Fork! They claim to be the geographic center of the state, so the dividing line has to run through there.

BornFisher - 5-16-2020 at 01:36 PM

The way to tell where the center is, is to make a cut out of the state. Then balance it on your finger to locate the center!

BajaNomad - 5-16-2020 at 05:16 PM

CA Air Natl Guard's 144th Fighter Wing out of Fresno may be what you're referring to.

https://twitter.com/bakerracingpix/status/126066242877943808...

144thfighterwing2.jpg - 81kB

144thfighterwing.jpg - 73kB

[Edited on 5-17-2020 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 5-16-2020 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Did not see or hear a damn thing. Perhaps stealth aircraft? I'm just south of Palomar Airport so maybe they avoided the airspace.

John

They reported that air congestion from the coast to Escondido caused them to bypass that leg.

fyi

thbirds6b.jpg - 306kBthbirds2.jpeg - 262kBthbirds4.jpg - 67kB

KurtG - 5-16-2020 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

CA Air Natl Guard's 144th Fighter Wing out of Fresno may be what you're referring to.

https://twitter.com/bakerracingpix/status/126066242877943808...

[Edited on 5-17-2020 by BajaNomad]

Yes, that is nearly the view we had.

A Big WOW Time ?

MrBillM - 5-16-2020 at 08:39 PM

Having attended more than a few Airshows over the decades, including Miramar and Reno in addition to seeing the Blue Angels winter-practice outside El Centro many times, it is entertaining, BUT all of the print/TV coverage and "viewer" reactions seems a bit over the top.

Are people THAT bored ?

KurtG - 5-16-2020 at 10:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Having attended more than a few Airshows over the decades, including Miramar and Reno in addition to seeing the Blue Angels winter-practice outside El Centro many times, it is entertaining, BUT all of the print/TV coverage and "viewer" reactions seems a bit over the top.

Are people THAT bored ?

Yes

caj13 - 5-17-2020 at 07:23 AM

The flights were actually about saluting front line medical and first responders, the routes flew over hospitals & care clinics, the doctors nurses etc would be outside at the scheduled time. Just a symbolic way to let em know how much they are appreciated.

Thats why so much press coverage

mtgoat666 - 5-17-2020 at 08:20 AM

I guess I donā€™t understand,...
Why is it an honor of medical workers to fly Weapons overhead? :?:
The point of fighter jets is dropping on peopleā€™s heads death and mayhem from the sky,...
As a medical worker, how does it honor them to flash weapons overhead in the sky? :?:
Would it also be an honor to flash handguns at the nurses to show them your support? :?:

The best way to honor the health care workers is to practice social distancing, wear a mask when out in public, wash your hands frequently; and lead a healthy lifestyle that does not contribute too your own obesity and poor health! :light::light::light:

Paco Facullo - 5-17-2020 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I guess I donā€™t understand,...
Why is it an honor of medical workers to fly Weapons overhead? :?:
The point of fighter jets is dropping on peopleā€™s heads death and mayhem from the sky,...
As a medical worker, how does it honor them to flash weapons overhead in the sky? :?:
Would it also be an honor to flash handguns at the nurses to show them your support? :?:

The best way to honor the health care workers is to practice social distancing, wear a mask when out in public, wash your hands frequently; and lead a healthy lifestyle that does not contribute too your own obesity and poor health! :light::light::light:

+ 1000

Just another brainwashing by the powers that be that the US needs to be the police of the world but in reality it is to exploit the lessor Countries for their natural resources and or labor...

As a proud US Navy veteran I appreciate seeing this honor displayed

thebajarunner - 5-17-2020 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What a dope... those 'weapons' are why you are free to speak such gibberish about America. Freedom isn't free, and there is no peace without strength.

Only a marooon takes weapons to a hospital to ā€œhonorā€ medical workers.
Perhaps you should take high salt, high fat processed food, and cartons of cigarettes to the hospital to honor the ā€œhealthā€-care workers?
Why not take criminals to the police station to honor the popo?
Why not take arsonists to the fire station to honor the firemen?

And what branch of the US military service did you serve with?

Paco Facullo - 5-17-2020 at 01:16 PM

I'm a disabled Vietnam vet, service connected , Navy.....

elgatoloco - 5-17-2020 at 03:38 PM

Matt
Be grateful that they did not launch rockets at youšŸ˜Ž

I was prepared just in case as I always am since the unsettling incident many years ago. Titanium undies and a tin foil bike helmet I was good to go. :saint::lol:

Take care. Be safe.

Paco Facullo - 5-17-2020 at 07:49 PM

Just to make things clear, I have the utmost respect for all the Men and Women that have served....

But I detest the Government of the USA and most all others .

Money and energy spent on defense and aggregation could be much better spent on the well being of the populous throughout the world.......

Ah So - I See

MrBillM - 5-17-2020 at 08:54 PM

But, I don't get it.

Politics aside ............... Why would the would-be honorees be wowed by the (impersonal) City to City to City to City Hot Jocks Sky Tour ?

BajaNomad - 5-18-2020 at 02:23 AM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

--
"Flypasts reflect milestones of national life; varying in scope from personal, to community and local, to military, to national. They may honour individuals in private or public life or commemorate happenings at a particular location."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flypast

--
"It is an honor for our team to salute the countless Californians who have committed to keeping the communities safe during this difficult time in our nation," said Lt. Col. John Caldwell, commander of the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron. "We hope to give onlookers a touching display of American resolve that honors those serving on the frontline of our fight against COVID-19."

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/may/15/thunderbirds-salute-co...

--

Thank you to those health care workers attending to and supporting C-19 patients living in or visiting Baja.

[Edited on 5-18-2020 by BajaNomad]