BajaNomad

What tire deflators do you use?

JZ - 5-24-2020 at 05:10 PM

Just ordered these. Can't believe I didn't get something like this a long time ago. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X23XY6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b...

There are cheaper ones, but I needed one that could go to 40 PSI at least. Most go to from about 5 to 30 PSI.

[Edited on 5-25-2020 by JZ]

deflators

John M - 5-24-2020 at 05:15 PM

-Staun although mine seem to loose their pre-setting from time to time.

John M

David K - 5-24-2020 at 05:20 PM

I have them, used them a few times, went back to the old way... Depressing the stem valve with a tool. Takes the same time overall, or less it seemed to me. Hard to stand around as they let the air out kinda slow.
See what you find.
I mostly air down from 34 to 18 for deep sand with the tires I am running. If you have BFG All Terrains, then drop to 10 psi.

MMc - 5-24-2020 at 05:25 PM

I have Coyote's preset to 22#. Put them on and pull the pins, all 4 tires at 22# just like that. only way to fly.

What tire deflators do you use?

AKgringo - 5-24-2020 at 05:53 PM

Do the cactus spines in my sidewalls count? :?:

I like yours better!

Feathers - 5-24-2020 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Do the cactus spines in my sidewalls count? :?:

I like yours better!

:lol: I do, too. :lol:

Don Pisto - 5-24-2020 at 06:42 PM

we use Trailhead deflators.....after you find yourself back on pavement just flip em over and re-inflate your tires after a few miles;)...happy memorial day all!

bajatrailrider - 5-24-2020 at 06:48 PM

I use them 25psi to 16psi. Only way to go

chippy - 5-24-2020 at 07:24 PM

I have the staun and arb https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/arb505-arb-ez-tire-deflato... I like the staun better. Screw them on have a beer and off I go!

Pacifico - 5-24-2020 at 07:27 PM

I've been using the Currie E-Z Deflator. Not as easy as the automatic deflators, but very user friendly once you get the hang of using it. It is nice that it captures the needle so that you can't lose it. That's not an issue anyway with the Stauns, I don't think...

Pacifico - 5-24-2020 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I have the staun and arb https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/arb505-arb-ez-tire-deflato... I like the staun better. Screw them on have a beer and off I go!

That does it! I'm getting the Stauns!!!

chippy - 5-24-2020 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

That does it! I'm getting the Stauns!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 5-24-2020 at 08:01 PM

I use the tip of my truck’s key. Or whatever tool is in the cab. Also have an air pres gage in cab
Don’t need no gadget to waste money and space. And if I did have them they would just get lost in the truck... or take up room in already too-crowded glove box and storage cubbies.

Don Pisto - 5-24-2020 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I use the tip of my truck’s key. Or whatever tool is in the cab. Also have an air pres gage in cab
Don’t need no gadget to waste money and space. And if I did have them they would just get lost in the truck... or take up room in already too-crowded glove box and storage cubbies.

good point! those things are HUGE!:lol:

John Harper - 5-24-2020 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have them, used them a few times, went back to the old way... Depressing the stem valve with a tool. Takes the same time overall, or less it seemed to me. Hard to stand around as they let the air out kinda slow.

I actually agree with DK on this one!

I have an inexpensive set, they work fine, but I find the old way just as easy. YMMV.

John

TMW - 5-25-2020 at 12:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I really hate to admit this but I'm with goat. I use the deflate tip on my tire gauge and count. 50 usually puts me close. I have a set of deflators but I can't find them.

Bob and Susan - 5-25-2020 at 05:01 AM

i hate "deflaters"

download.jpg - 1kB

David K - 5-25-2020 at 06:22 AM

The important thing is to have an accurate, dial-type tire gauge that reads below 10 psi... and then a fast air pump that clips directly onto the battery when you are about to return to pavement, or fill a repaired flat tire!... Always have a tire plug kit... Amazing to fix most flats without removing the tire.

bajatrailrider - 5-25-2020 at 06:28 AM

:bounce: yes nail always bad. My kit came with 6 deflaters in small metal box. The minute I decided to off road screw the 4 on. Go away to prepare to leave truck is ready in few min. I have better things to do then hang around each tire letting air out.

JZ - 5-25-2020 at 10:59 AM

The important thing is to have an accurate, dial-type tire gauge that reads below 10 psi... and then a fast air pump that clips directly onto the battery when you are about to return to pavement, or fill a repaired flat tire!... Always have a tire plug kit... Amazing to fix most flats without removing the tire.

Your truck's dash should tell you the psi of all 4 tires.

motoged - 5-25-2020 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Jizzy,
Your truck talks to you ?

David K - 5-25-2020 at 11:39 AM

That does no good while a fast pump is filling or when deflating manually. But, to answer your reply, no. My 2010 only has a low pressure light. It doesn't indicate which tire or the pressure.

JZ - 5-25-2020 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David  

That does no good while a fast pump is filling or when deflating manually. .

That's not true. It has a lag, but once you watch it you can judge when it hits the number. It's super helpful.

Phil C - 5-25-2020 at 12:00 PM

The E-Z Deflator is my choice. It lets the air out quickly. No stooping around for a few minutes listening to a slow hiss. It removes the stem and keeps it enclosed so you don't lose it.

David K - 5-25-2020 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David  

That does no good while a fast pump is filling or when deflating manually. .

That's not true. It has a lag, but once you watch it you can judge when it hits the number. It's super helpful.

Well, since I don't have one, I can't relate. I am a precision guy so watching numbers on my dash then running to that tire to stop it would be nerve wracking!

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2020 at 09:45 PM

Oasis deflators work the best. I set them at 12#PSI in 2005 and the setting hasn't changed.

I air all 4 tires down in the same time that everyone else airs one tire down. Go figure.

To air up, I use a dual compressor Viair Exreme system, a cheap Harbor Freight portable or my new Smittybilt CO2 Tank!

Go big or go home.

JZ - 5-25-2020 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I'm confused: Your tire pressure sensors transmit when you're stationary? I believe mine only transmit above about 20 MPH (to conserve battery, I assume).

Yes, they display as long as the ignition key is turned. All 4 tires display at once. Never have to use a separate pressure gauge.

[Edited on 5-26-2020 by JZ]

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2020 at 10:35 PM

Here is a good cross section of tire deflators for reference:
https://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflato...

PaulW - 5-26-2020 at 06:48 AM

Thanks for the link
Using a Currie for about 12 years. I like the feature of choosing different pressure depending on expected difficulty.
I noticed a bargain version now coming from China. Looks like a Currie knockoff?
When we wheel with friends most times my time to deflate is the fastest. Even the guys fudging an only going down a few psi whiel I go to 14psi.
The biggest drawback with the Currie is it is brass so your hands get discolored. Solution is to wear gloves.
Pressure accuracy is very good when compared to my refrence gauge.

Ken Cooke - 5-26-2020 at 09:07 PM

My Gladiator features on board tire PSI in real time. So, for airing down or airing up, you need the engine running and the page selected on your dashboard.

PaulW - 5-27-2020 at 06:04 AM

All vehicles sold starting in the US since 2007 have the tire pressure monitor (TPMS). Most all give the driver real time display.
Does the Gladiator send warnings when you air down to tell you your tires do not have enough air.