BajaNomad

Zoom?

elgatoloco - 5-26-2020 at 05:13 PM

I have been using it for work and play in the USA. I have ESET for security and I feel pretty good about safety so far.

At work I have also used Google hangouts, and Go To Meeting.

chippy - 5-26-2020 at 05:16 PM

My daughter has been using everything but zoom for school (3 so far). Like covid its a learn as you go thing down here. I hope they (la sep) try it cuz its been pretty bad so far.

JZ - 5-26-2020 at 05:16 PM

I've used Zoom for 2-3 years. Way before it became super popular in the last 3-4 months.

Have used them all over the years. Webex, GoToMeeting, UberConference, etc.

Zoom is the ta taas. Switched to it permanently in early 2018.

It's super lightweight compared to the others. And the integration with apps (Outlook, Slack, etc.) is fantastic.

Really good on mobile. The only issue I've had is it's block in the UAE.

When a client insists on using their conferencing system I dread it.

RFClark - 5-26-2020 at 05:17 PM

I’ve been using it in the U.S. lately. It works fine. It won’t usually work over a satellite link because of the long delay.

JZ - 5-26-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Blocked? So I couldn't use it with friends in Dubai? :(

Not unless they use a VPN.

Have about one call a month or so with clients in Dubai, and have been using Webex for those.

Bear in mind, things like this can change, so check the latest, but as of 6 months ago, it was a no-go there.

[Edited on 5-27-2020 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 5-26-2020 at 08:45 PM

Are any of you on either side of the border, using the Zoom videoconferencing system to communicate?

A lot of folks I know are using it, but I've resisted installing the software; from what I've read, the QC might be a little loose and with the number of people now using it, must be a very juicy target for crackers. :D

I am on conference calls most every day. None of us ever use video. Conference calling is just for talking and screen-sharing.
Most everyone in my field has their video camera taped-over, and microphone disabled. Life easier if you don’t have to spend time worrying about hot mikes or video hackers...
Usually we use Skype or webex, though the services seem to change every year or 3... You most always get better voice quality calling in by phone and attending via web or app just for the screen sharing...

Video face-to-face is not for business... perhaps just used by a few tech nerds... video face-to-face seems to be popular for families and kids and housewives...

No one in biz wants to see other people in their offices or homes picking their noses or wandering off when microphone is muted and attention is elsewhere...

KasloKid - 5-26-2020 at 09:39 PM

Non urgent Doctor appointments now in my part of the world, are using Zoom. Only if they deem it urgent will they request one come in for a physical appearance.

My first Dr appointment this year was via a telephone call and it felt strange. I've requested my follow-up appointment using Zoom. Something about facial gestures mean more to me than voice interpretations. It's also reassuring that I see that he is fully engaged in the conversation versus him checking his twitter feed.

BajaNomad - 5-27-2020 at 08:43 AM

I'm currently involved with three meetings every week with 25-50 ppl each, and some 1-to-1 conversations.

Zoom quickly learned of security issues with the platform once attention shifted to the use of such increasing rapidly under the present circumstances. Many Zoom-bombing issues. Zoom has - to their credit - been addressing these.

They have meeting room mode or webinar mode.

It's extremely user-friendly for people to quickly adapt to. A huge plus in transitioning from face-to-face. We'll certainly move forward using Zoom (or something that works even better?) in combination with f2f in the future.

Let me know if you want to be a participant in one of these group events, and I'll share the info privately.

Doug

[Edited on 5-27-2020 by BajaNomad]

JZ - 5-27-2020 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
I'm currently involved with three meetings every week with 25-50 ppl each, and some 1-to-1 conversations.

Zoom quickly learned of security issues with the platform once attention shifted to the use of such increasing rapidly under the present circumstances. Many Zoom-bombing issues. Zoom has - to their credit - been addressing these.

They have meeting room mode or webinar mode.

It's extremely user-friendly for people to quickly adapt to. A huge plus in transitioning from face-to-face. We'll certainly move forward using Zoom (or something that works even better?) in combination with f2f in the future.

Let me know if you want to be a participant in one of these group events, and I'll share the info privately.

Doug

[Edited on 5-27-2020 by BajaNomad]

What type of events?

JZ - 5-27-2020 at 11:04 AM

I'm intrigued by Goat's method of not even using the cameras during videoconferences. Seems limiting.

In your experience, how much of the time during your sessions are participants actually watching the face of the current speaker?

Depends on the company culture. I don't want to have to take a shower every morning and put on a clean shirt, so I'm not a big fan of video. So I don't make my team do it that often.

If it's a client meeting, it's more important. Probably use video 15-20% of the time.

pauldavidmena - 5-27-2020 at 11:19 AM

My workplace uses Webex for all of its internal conference calls on account of its integration with Cisco office phones and Cisco Jabber. Many of the vendors we talk with use Zoom with password protection to try to slow down Zoom Bombers.

I'd say about half of the meetings I attend these days opt to turn on video, even though it consumes bandwidth that could be better used (IMO) improving the quality of the audio. It seems to come down to the personal preference of the meeting host and not for any technical reason, since we're mostly just talking about software and data.

SFandH - 5-27-2020 at 12:03 PM

I have some friends that have started zoom happy hour parties. (PDT)

An excellent use of high tech video partying software.

I think I'll install the app on my Chromebook today.

Paco Facullo - 5-27-2020 at 01:43 PM

Burning Man Is Going Virtual,

and So Are the Orgies
Burners told us their plans for the digital festival, from throwing sex parties on Zoom to driving an "Ass Cream Truck" around the block.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7qzkq/burning-man-is-goi...

BajaNomad - 5-27-2020 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What type of events?

Business networking.

BajaNomad - 5-29-2020 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I guess a camera is needed for my desktop or can this be done effectively on my Android phone?
I'm new to Zoom and learning about it, but have worked a lot with Skype over the years.

If you're planning much serious work, I'd suggest your computer with a decent (wired) headset and a USB add-on camera. That'll give you good audio and a bigger screen for document sharing, etc. I find the lag with bluetooth headsets annoying if I'm watching people's faces (yucky lip sync).

Quality webcams are currently in high-demand and pulling a premium (when available) in online marketplaces. I sense some enterprising folks stocked up on Logitech models and are now reselling (via Amazon, ebay, etc) at a premium to what they purchased at - and probably getting it more often than not. The following two seem to be (or be among) the most in-demand presently:

Logitech c270 (avg quality)
Logitech 930e (higher quality)

geraldalexander7 - 5-29-2020 at 10:19 AM

I use Zoom from here in La Paz almost daily to connect with friends, family & business contacts. Security is not a serious issue, unless you have “top secret conversations” going on, like the secret surf spots.......Zoom works well with my satellite internet, no major problems......oh and it’s free
Gerald

David K - 5-29-2020 at 10:42 AM

Anybody use Microsoft Teams?

JZ - 5-29-2020 at 11:17 AM

Zoom is much better.

shari - 5-29-2020 at 12:02 PM

Out here in the boonies we are using Zoom for strategy meetings for business and best of all for my grandson Izaak's Karate classes which is fantastic as that is one thing that he is very involved with and good at (and I cant teach him?)The teacher is in Ensenada and he has class every weekday. It seems to work fairly well with the marginal internet we have here in Bahia Asuncion...and I get to participate too on the sly!

caj13 - 5-29-2020 at 12:37 PM

zoom works just fine on apple or android phones, many of my students use their phone to "attend" the on line lectures, no problem!

David K - 5-29-2020 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Zoom is much better.

Perhaps, but it is not my choice. The company I am working with uses MS Teams so I was curious on how it works or what you might teach me before I download it.