BajaNomad

crossing preference?

ranpar01 - 5-31-2020 at 02:55 PM

Heading to Todos Santos from Reno in a few weeks, going to try the newly completed Hwy 5. Looking for opinions on whether to cross at Mexicali or Tecate? Map times look about the same, but I've heard Tecate might be more likely to result in a mordida pullover. I know everyone has different experiences and things change - what is the current preferred crossing? I normally fly down so this will be my first road trip. Gracias!

Feathers - 5-31-2020 at 03:03 PM

Check the 'Trip Reports' section of this forum. I don't think there is a 'preferred crossing'.

I know Tecate was as easy as it gets on 5/26/20, but nothing is set in cement here in Baja.

Good luck!

preference?

John M - 5-31-2020 at 03:27 PM

Tecate southbound is easy - easy to get an FMM if you need it. Be careful of hard to see stop signs on the short drive through town as you noted. The toll road E/B is only a few miles away from the border crossing but I'd bet there are a dozen stop signs in that short distance! Going down the La Rumorosa grade is really scenic and when you get to Highway 5 southbound you are most of the way through the town of Mexicali - I'd recommend that route.

It's not a 24 hour port of entry.

John M

JZ - 5-31-2020 at 03:50 PM

Mexicali East going North.

Tecate would be a huge waste of time.

David K - 5-31-2020 at 04:18 PM

Mexicali southbound, Tecate northbound (but check Covid 19 reduced border hours, it is 2pm now). Mexicali (West) is extremely easy to get the tourist cards (FMM). Tecate is hard to find parking or requires a bit of walking for the INM office.

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2020 at 04:29 PM

I use Mexicali west southbound and northbound. Tecate is a huge waste of time, it has no SENTRI, unless you want to see tecate.

Never been to Mexicali East, as I don’t go east and I got sentri that works fine at west.

Since you have never driven baja, I suggest you drive south via 1 (TJ xing) and north via 5 (Mexicali xing) so you can see the state...

JZ - 5-31-2020 at 04:47 PM

Goat gives good advice.

Meany - 5-31-2020 at 04:50 PM

I've always liked Tecate; early Sunday mornings. I have been stoped for just a brief time. And most of the times a wave through. This has been over a 25 year period. Just have your paper work in hand and watch for all the stop signs and it's and easy go. Love driving that way through the valley.

Don Pisto - 5-31-2020 at 05:06 PM

if time is of the essence go thru mexicali, if you want to tourist around a bit i'd go thru tijuana and travel the one. we do everything to avoid that whole salton sea/mexicali area, feels like a depressing armpit of baja to us.....but thats just us. have a great trip!:D

SFandH - 5-31-2020 at 05:50 PM

We always drive through Tijuana, both directions. I like driving highway 1 except for two areas, through Ensenada and between Colonet and San Quintin. Both have heavy traffic. Between Ensenada and Colonet has changed, much for the better, over the years. The road is rebuilt and there are many vineyards along the way. The area around Vicente Guerrero is especially nice. And further south, Catavina, is a special area. And the toll road between TJ and Ensenada is something to see if you never have. You miss all this if you take the east coast route through Bahia San Luis Gonzaga.

Going south through TJ and then north through Bahia San Luis Gonzaga
and Mexicali is a good idea for first-time travelers.

[Edited on 6-1-2020 by SFandH]

Maderita - 5-31-2020 at 06:05 PM

In any other season, I would recommend highway 5 via Mexicali.
From San Diego, you can cross at Otay Mesa or Tecate, and take Highway 2D ("cuota" a toll road) Then bypass most of the Mexicali city traffic to reach Highway 5. However, your trip is mid-summer. Temperatures in the desert are likely to reach 110 F. or higher. There are long stretches of highway with no services.

High temperatures increase the probability of mechanical breakdowns and tire failure. Besides being uncomfortable, the risk increases.
Should you elect to take Highway 5 in summer, make sure that your vehicle is in good mechanical condition, with newer belts and hoses, optimal ratio of coolant, good tires, and carry no less than 5 gallons of water.

Highway 1 will have mild temperatures and more services. My choice for summer months.

SFandH - 5-31-2020 at 06:18 PM

You're right Maderita. Hot temperatures on the east coast route in the summer are something to consider, especially if the vehicle is loaded up. Transmissions tend to run hot, sometimes too hot.

[Edited on 6-1-2020 by SFandH]

Alm - 6-1-2020 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Mexicali (West) is extremely easy to get the tourist cards (FMM).

Do they issue tourist FMM now?

SFandH - 6-2-2020 at 05:30 AM

I don't think they ever stopped issuing FMMs. I read this and 2 facebook groups about baja, never read a post about an FMM being denied. Could have missed them though. I've read several about folks getting FMMs.

Has anybody heard of FMMs being denied because of covid?

JZ - 6-2-2020 at 06:11 AM

Never been a fan of driving through TJ. Want to get out of that city as fast as possible.

Mexicali is much easier to navigate and you are in it for a much shorter time.

There is plenty of traffic on the 5 to help if there is a breakdown. So even in the summer months Mex 1 is more dangerous. Plus hours of stop and go traffic. And then a curvy drive through the mountains where you see accidents all the time. And let's not forget how hot the stretch from El Rosario, South is. You aren't avoiding the heat that much by going on Mex 1.

You have to drive Mex 1, once. But over all the 5 is faster and much less stressful. And you get to what Baja really is faster.

billklaser - 6-2-2020 at 08:09 AM

We're planning on driving to Loreto in a couple weeks. Have always taken 1 south thru Tj & Ensenada. Because we live in Chula Vista only 7 mi to cross at border. However this trip will be driving to Calexico and go down 5. Because of the Virus issue we want to avoid extra delays on 1.

David K - 6-2-2020 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
We're planning on driving to Loreto in a couple weeks. Have always taken 1 south thru Tj & Ensenada. Because we live in Chula Vista only 7 mi to cross at border. However this trip will be driving to Calexico and go down 5. Because of the Virus issue we want to avoid extra delays on 1.

You will enjoy avoiding the cross-Ensenada city traffic and all the farm towns missed using Hwy. 5. The only part I miss is not going through El Rosario and a chance to visit with Antonio or stay at his motel, Baja Cactus... a true gem along Hwy. 1!

AKgringo - 6-2-2020 at 08:38 AM

However this trip will be driving to Calexico and go down 5. Because of the Virus issue we want to avoid extra delays on 1.

Starting from where you are, I would consider crossing at Tecate (or Otay Mesa) and take the toll road over to Mex 5. That avoids almost all of the Mexicalli traffic and congestion.

[Edited on 6-2-2020 by AKgringo]

David K - 6-2-2020 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
However this trip will be driving to Calexico and go down 5. Because of the Virus issue we want to avoid extra delays on 1.

Starting from where you are, I would consider crossing at Tecate (or Otay Mesa) and take the toll road over to Mex 5. That avoids almost all of the Mexicalli traffic and congestion.

[Edited on 6-2-2020 by AKgringo]

Exactly! Good call. The only problem with Tecate is getting an FMM, as it requires finding a parking spot by circling the one way streets and walking back through the turnstiles to get to the INM desk at the border. Mexicali is super easy to get the FMMs, but you do have 5 miles of city driving.

billklaser - 6-2-2020 at 08:59 AM

Good advice on Tecate. We have Residente Permante visas, so not a problem.

billklaser - 6-2-2020 at 09:18 AM

Good advice on Tecate. We have Residente Permante visas, so not a problem.

Lee - 6-2-2020 at 11:22 AM

The only problem with Tecate is getting an FMM, as it requires finding a parking spot by circling the one way streets and walking back through the turnstiles to get to the INM desk at the border. Mexicali is super easy to get the FMMs, but you do have 5 miles of city driving.

Makes me think you don't know Tecate, but, of course you do.

Maybe this'll help you if you ever go through there again.

Driving S. crossing into MX, drive straight one block and turn right. Drive down block and turn right again, then, driving one more block turning right. You've driven around the block.

On the left side of the street, at the end of the block, where the immigration turnstile is, you'll see about 1/2 dozen traffic cones cordoning off parking spaces. If an attendant is there, motion you'd like to park there and he'll move the cone.

I usually double park at the turnstile, no problem.

But, yeah, it's definitely not Chaparral. Just follow my instructions for Tecate -- and see how easy it is.

If this is complicated, you might think, like JZ, that Ensenada has horrible and stressful traffic and it's to be avoided when driving South.

JZ - 6-2-2020 at 12:14 PM

In Tecate, don't roll through any stop signs. They are out for a pay day there more than anywhere in Baja.

Just not a fan of going out of the way to go through Tecate. Of course we have Sentri, like anyone traveling to Baja fairly often should have.

[Edited on 6-2-2020 by JZ]

ranpar01 - 6-2-2020 at 12:33 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the replies. Now that construction is back underway on our baja house I'm sure I'll be making this drive several times per year and will try out different routes.

AKgringo - 6-2-2020 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ranpar01  
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the replies. Now that construction is back underway on our baja house I'm sure I'll be making this drive several times per year and will try out different routes.

This time of the year, driving south from Reno on 395 would be my choice of routes. Top off the tank in Carson City and you should be able to reach Bishop without patronizing some of the most expensive gas stations in CA.

By heading toward Mexicalli you will avoid a long boring central CA valley drive, and a whole lot of L.A., San Diego, Tijuana and Ensenada traffic!

If you drive down again in the winter, I would recommend 95 south. At least once, you should try crossing at Algodones, or San Luis.

Lee - 6-2-2020 at 04:19 PM

Lee, read my reply again. Pretty much said the same as you.

Read your post again, David. Try rereading my post again.

You wrote ''the only problem is,'' regarding INM at Tecate -- then mentioned Mexicali as ''super easy.''

It's got to be perspective. I don't see Tecate as a problem and parking, in my opinion, is easy.

Otherwise, we are writing the same thing. :lol:

Lee - 6-2-2020 at 04:21 PM

Lee, read my reply again. Pretty much said the same as you.

Read your post again, David. Try rereading my post again.

You wrote ''the only problem is,'' regarding INM at Tecate -- then mentioned Mexicali as ''super easy.''

It's got to be perspective. I don't see Tecate as a problem and parking, in my opinion, is easy.

Otherwise, we are writing the same thing. :lol:

Lee - 6-2-2020 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

There is plenty of traffic on the 5 to help if there is a breakdown. So even in the summer months Mex 1 is more dangerous. Plus hours of stop and go traffic. And then a curvy drive through the mountains where you see accidents all the time. And let's not forget how hot the stretch from El Rosario, South is. You aren't avoiding the heat that much by going on Mex 1.

You have to drive Mex 1, once. But over all the 5 is faster and much less stressful. And you get to what Baja really is faster.

Wow. It really is perspective driving The Baja.

I don't consider Hgwy 1 stressful driving through Ensenada, nor do I consider the road more dangerous in the Summer.

I don't worry about break downs and traffic is never a problem.

Personally, the best time to drive N. or S. through BCN is early Sunday. Laborers are sleeping in, along with most people.

It's even enjoyable to me. Hgwy 5 has it's advantages but you'll miss Ensenada if you go that way. And Jardines. Totally worth doing S. on Hgwy 1.

Alm - 6-2-2020 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I don't consider Hgwy 1 stressful driving through Ensenada, nor do I consider the road more dangerous in the Summer.

Personally, the best time to drive N. or S. through BCN is early Sunday. Laborers are sleeping in, along with most people.

It's even enjoyable to me. Hgwy 5 has it's advantages but you'll miss Ensenada if you go that way. And Jardines. Totally worth doing S. on Hgwy 1.

Agreed on all points, except for missing Ensenada. There isn't much to miss in this city. Terrible street pavement.

I don't know where people find truly stop/n/go traffic on Hwy 1. It is slow in San Quntin area, several traffic lights and topez, though between the topez it usually moves steady ~30 mph during the worst hour. Weekend mornings are the best.

SFandH - 6-3-2020 at 08:07 AM

I highly encourage EVERYBODY to take the east coast route through San Felipe. Please. Thank you.

elgatoloco - 6-3-2020 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I highly encourage EVERYBODY to take the east coast route through San Felipe. Please. Thank you.

Ditto.

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2020 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I like going south on hwy 1 for ensenada, catavina and food options.
The scenery and restaurant options on hwy 5 are lacking.
5 is ok on way home when time is short

del mar - 6-3-2020 at 11:29 AM

go down one way come up the other. yes everyone should experience hwy 5 unfortunately the adventure is gone with the new highway and really....the only cool part is the stretch between puertecitos and gonzaga bay!

Alm - 6-3-2020 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Ditto.

Absolutely. With everybody gone to Hwy 5, traveling Hwy 1 will get easier yet.

Make the loop....

thebajarunner - 6-4-2020 at 07:03 PM

Whenever possible, wherever I travel, I try to take a different route returning from the outbound track. Down and back, same track.....no way... give me me new scenery every time.

Ensenada.... yeah, such a drag. At least ten full minutes to transit end to end.... ruins the whole trip for sure....
Going down 1 you have the great coastal scene along the TJ Cuota. What a way to get revved up about visiting Baja. Also, at the south end of Ensenada (ten whole minutes to get there) are great last minute shopping opportunities, and a wealth of banks with ATM to get pesos, right on the Walmart plaza.

San Quintin is always annoying, and always quicker than it seems.

On the way back, absolutely come up 5. Such a fresh view and always new stuff to see. Plus more great sea views after you leave Gonzaga.

Always take the loop, life is too short to get in a single track rut.

mtgoat666 - 6-4-2020 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Whenever possible, wherever I travel, I try to take a different route returning from the outbound track. Down and back, same track.....no way... give me me new scenery every time.

Ensenada.... yeah, such a drag. At least ten full minutes to transit end to end.... ruins the whole trip for sure....
Going down 1 you have the great coastal scene along the TJ Cuota. What a way to get revved up about visiting Baja. Also, at the south end of Ensenada (ten whole minutes to get there) are great last minute shopping opportunities, and a wealth of banks with ATM to get pesos, right on the Walmart plaza.

San Quintin is always annoying, and always quicker than it seems.

On the way back, absolutely come up 5. Such a fresh view and always new stuff to see. Plus more great sea views after you leave Gonzaga.

Always take the loop, life is too short to get in a single track rut.

Ensenada is a great city. Way better than la paz. Why would anyone pass up a meal and shopping and visiting friends in Ensenada? Much more to do in Ensenada compared to la paz, and the weather is 10x better in Ensenada rel to la paz.

San quintin is never annoying. Unless you are all wound tight and upset by life and people. Get a flocking grip on yourself if you get anxiety spending a few minutes behind a slower vehicle.
San Q has good ice cream stop, good restaurants stops, and is not 120 deg F like chithole San Felipe side of the penn :lol:

honda tom - 6-4-2020 at 10:02 PM

first timers should see both sides once.... after that... 5 is the relaxing baja drive that you came for. hwy 1 through so many towns and lights and buses .... mostly nothing to see there. hwy 5 is the faster route to points south.

Hiway 1- Cirios and Catavina

thebajarunner - 6-5-2020 at 09:06 AM

For me the highlight of driving down Baja is Catavina!
It is the "Yosemite" of Mexico
Missing it both ways...
uh uh... not interested

SFandH - 6-5-2020 at 09:45 AM

Speaking of Catavina,

Saw Ralph at Rancho Santa Inez just south of Catavina last month. I'm sure some here know him. He stayed later this year because of virus in the US concerns. He's getting up there in years.

Alm - 6-5-2020 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
5 is the relaxing baja drive that you came for. hwy 1 through so many towns and lights and buses .... mostly nothing to see there. hwy 5 is the faster route to points south.

Sort of.

Hwy 5 is more relaxing except for the 20 unfinished miles.

Hwy 1 goes through many nondescript towns for about 2/3 before it joins Hwy 5, then after El Rosario it's is just desert and mountains.

Hwy 5 is the faster route to the points South of BOLA turn-off, if you are coming from points East of Mexicali, otherwise the time saving is questionable.

Catavina... I would say it's not something to take Hwy 1 for. Stopped there once - yeah, well... Skip it unless it breaks your long trip conveniently. Ralph is a wonderful guy, regardless.

David K - 6-5-2020 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
5 is the relaxing baja drive that you came for. hwy 1 through so many towns and lights and buses .... mostly nothing to see there. hwy 5 is the faster route to points south.

Sort of.

Hwy 1 goes through many nondescript towns for about 2/3 before it joins Hwy 5, then after El Rosario it's is just desert and mountains.

Hwy 5 is the faster route to the points South of BOLA turn-off, if you are coming from points East of Mexicali, otherwise the time saving is questionable.

Catavina... I would say it's not something to take Hwy 1 for. Stopped there once - yeah, well... Skip it unless it breaks your long trip conveniently. Ralph is a wonderful guy, regardless.

There are NO UNFINISHED MILES (or kilometers, lol). The paving was completed in January... and most if not all the damaged bridges just south of Puertecitos are repaired. The replacing old highway (San Felipe to Puertecitos) has been going on for some time, but the 10-mile section north of Puertecitos they were working on is done, I heard. No updates on additional road replacement beyond that?

I even paved in the final section of Highway 5 on my map...

Sort of like saying that The Beatles were some English kids that sang

thebajarunner - 6-5-2020 at 05:00 PM

Sort of.

Quoting you.....
"Hwy 1 goes through many nondescript towns for about 2/3 before it joins Hwy 5, then after El Rosario it's is just desert and mountains."

That, stretch from Los Pinos to the LA Bay cutoff is fantastic country! If you like Baja, that is..
The only highway that I know that equals that stretch is 395 between Bishop and Lone Pine.

The desert.... the mountains.... the cirios..... the various barrels.... the rocks. That's what Baja is all about. Beaches? Nice, but so are the beaches in Hawaii,
But desert??? Hiway 1 has it all.

SFandH - 6-5-2020 at 05:27 PM

Thinking north to south:

The only parts of hwy 1 I don't like are the south half of Ensenada to Ejido Uruapan (ok on a Sunday morning tho) and between Camalu and Los Pinos south of San Quintin. I really enjoy the new vineyards and the new road sections between Santo Tomas and Colonet. Beautiful country.

But please, everybody take the east coast route through the charming Sonoran desert and quaint San Felipe.

[Edited on 6-6-2020 by SFandH]

del mar - 6-5-2020 at 06:25 PM

Sort of.

:lol:....the voice of experience!

PaulW - 6-6-2020 at 08:20 AM

Yes, pretty true that for a tourist any smart phone will be plenty good. No paper maps are needed. The phone will direct you to most any destination for food or lodging. Try that with a paper map.

Meanwhile highway 5 still needs much improvement. Many of us do not like the dips and slow traffic caused by them. There is hope for the section from town to the airport turn because the government has decided to rebuild that section soon? All will cheer for that and blown out tires and suspension damage will be greatly reduced.

Alm - 6-7-2020 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

That, stretch from Los Pinos to the LA Bay cutoff is fantastic country! If you like Baja, that is...

Love it. Can pull off any time you feel like, have a snack with a wonderful view and attend to your other needs. Be respectful to desert, carry your trash out.

elgatoloco - 6-7-2020 at 05:27 PM

Options = Baja, or vis a versa. I'm glad that there is a HWY 1 option for travelers that no longer includes miles of washboard. 2005 we drove the pop up south on 5 to BDLA. It was a great trip. One day I will be back that way again to revisit a few memorable places. In the meantime look for me at one of the roadside taco joints between TJ and Chapala.
#hwy1forwe
#bajastartsattheborder
:light:

YMATTMV

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 05:57 PM

My co-driver wants to take Tecate, so thanks for all the advice about where/how to park in order to get the FMM at that crossing etc.

Looks like SENTRI takes up to 6 months to come through, so I'll apply for that for future trips. thanks again!