BajaNomad

water temps

BajaMama - 6-11-2020 at 05:58 AM

I was dreaming about Baja this morning and checking out water temperature on TempBreak. The water temp around La Paz is significantly cooler that other areas on BCS. Is that a deep harbor?

tiotomasbcs - 6-11-2020 at 06:22 AM

I would like to know water temps in Mulege and Loreto....it's cold over here on the Pacific. Air temps on the Sea of Cortes side towns have been reaching the nineties I believe. A/C units being started up? Thick fog here in Todos Santos last few weeks!

BajaMama - 6-11-2020 at 07:15 AM

From SST site and TempBreak Bahia Conception is 80+, Between Santa Rosalia & Mulege around 78-79, cooler offshore.

defrag4 - 6-11-2020 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
From SST site and TempBreak Bahia Conception is 80+, Between Santa Rosalia & Mulege around 78-79, cooler offshore.

Dorado time baby!!

seen a few little doraditos jumping in the bay

Howard - 6-11-2020 at 08:05 AM

Now don't be teasing me with those Dodo's. I have Alaska reservations for August but who knows what will be going on down there at that time and if I want to put on my big boy pants and go on down?

The ramp is still closed, correct?

defrag4 - 6-13-2020 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Now don't be teasing me with those Dodo's. I have Alaska reservations for August but who knows what will be going on down there at that time and if I want to put on my big boy pants and go on down?

The ramp is still closed, correct?

still closed buddy but the mayor says it will be open on Monday the 15th for sport fishing

we shall see

I went out yesterday in my lanchita I can launch off the beach and trolled around, hooked up with some bonita and a big ass toro, didnt see any dorado though

I saw a few decent mats of sargossa coming in and lots of bait, water temp is picking up, so everything is getting in place, hasta pronto!

BajaBlanca - 6-15-2020 at 01:18 PM

So, no one knows if the harbor is deep?

David K - 6-15-2020 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So, no one knows if the harbor is deep?

Google is your friend (me too)!

BajaBill74 - 6-15-2020 at 04:12 PM

Here is a site for this information.

http://tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=ml

And here is the current graphic. (Minus the scale for color - temp)

Senior citizens get to make the mistakes.

Water.jpg - 181kB

[Edited on 6-15-2020 by BajaBill74]

AKgringo - 6-15-2020 at 04:35 PM

I am sure that the temperatures recorded are only 'surface temperatures'. The wind and tidal actions must move the surface water away from the bays, and it is replaced by deeper, colder water.

That is based on my best guess!

BajaMama - 6-16-2020 at 06:42 AM

Thanks for the data all. There must be some kind of upwelling or currents (which seems odd considering the geography).