BajaNomad

BCS opening up June15...with restrictions

shari - 6-13-2020 at 10:06 AM

There was a welcome announcement yesterday from the Government that BCS has moved from red to orange category which means things can opening up with some restrictions.

Outdoor public spaces like beaches, outdoor sport complexes & parks can open with the current suggestions of social distancing and masks.

Restaurants & hotels can open with the same social practices and only 30% occupancy...great news for tourism and locals alike.

It is controversial as is the whole Covid issue but a very welcomed announcement for many.

So all of you who have been messaging me...La Bufadora Inn & Campo Sirena are welcoming guests once again...the weather is gorgeous, shore fishing is pumping and beautiful Bahia Asuncion is open for business!
We hope to see you soon!

Tioloco - 6-13-2020 at 10:21 AM

That is GREAT news!

chippy - 6-13-2020 at 11:23 AM

Good news but expect the covid numbers to increase. We had 4 cases in our municipio up until last week when they stopped the filtros. Now we have 11. Not a panic but that was in 4 days:(. Sucks but it had to happen. Peeps gotta eat.

JZ - 6-13-2020 at 11:54 AM

Fantastic news. Just in time for the 4th of July.

joel - 6-13-2020 at 01:25 PM

Does this mean the airport in Loreto or the drive down Mex 1 will open up at the same time?

motoged - 6-13-2020 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Fantastic news. Just in time for the 4th of July.

The timing is PERFECT ....

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/highest-point-of-covid-contagion-now-predicted-in-july/

chippy - 6-13-2020 at 02:12 PM

What a joke. They have been saying the peak was coming in a week since mid may. Today they are saying the peak will be next week. Not a good time to come to Mexico.

Give it a month or 6.

[Edited on 6-13-2020 by chippy]

SFandH - 6-14-2020 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
What a joke. They have been saying the peak was coming in a week since mid may. Today they are saying the peak will be next week. Not a good time to come to Mexico.

Give it a month or 6.

"Not a good time to come to Mexico."

It really depends upon where you are going. TJ and Mexicali are still infectious. Small towns not so much. The problem with Cabo is all the jets flying in from infected places and the crowded bars/restaurants, which could lead to a breakout. Not a good time to get buzzed at El Squid Roe.

mtgoat666 - 6-14-2020 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Give it a month or 6.

It really depends upon where you are going. TJ and Mexicali are still infectious. Small towns not so much.

you dont know this. this is just wishful thinking.
what has been seen in USA is that the highest rates of infection have been in health care facilities (esp. nursing homes, assisted living) and other crowded living situations. Re crowded living situations, they have seen high infection rates in houses where many people live in a single house, and particularly in immigrant or poor housing with large numbers of people in smallish housing space.
crowded living conditions, sounds like a lot of mexican housing i have seen...

BajaMama - 6-15-2020 at 06:50 AM

Areas in the USA that have re-opened are seeing high rates of infections and hospitalizations because people are not complying with social distancing and mask requirements. I hope visitors to BCS are more vigilant.

SFandH - 6-15-2020 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Give it a month or 6.

It really depends upon where you are going. TJ and Mexicali are still infectious. Small towns not so much.

you dont know this. this is just wishful thinking.

looks like you're right goat, just saw this on facebook:

As of 13 June

covid bcs.jpg - 92kB

[Edited on 6-15-2020 by SFandH]

tiotomasbcs - 6-15-2020 at 10:17 AM

Oh boy! I'll get out the Welcome Wagon for the Tourist Vans that come to Todos Santos! I do hold out hope that some stay closed awhile longer or least requiere distancing and sanitation. Hotel California was not open this morning at 10:30am; a few other places were. Giving thanks I moved out to Pescadero years ago! singin "Green Acres is the place for me!! Esperando lo mejor para todos. good news--I am told No Cruise ships will be entering Cabo for awhile... :tumble::tumble::cool:

[Edited on 6-15-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

BajaMama - 6-17-2020 at 06:47 AM

Is this still happening? I heard US & Mex agreed to extend border restrictions to essential only until July 21.

BigBearRider - 6-17-2020 at 05:29 PM

Cabo is pretty much a ghost town still. A few more businesses have opened since Monday, but there are almost no tourists around.

BCS is open.

BajaBill74 - 6-18-2020 at 08:12 AM

I just got a newsletter from Discover Baja that says BCS is open.

I also got an email from Pueblo Bonito Hotels that says they have just reopen in Los Cabos.

Can't get there, however. The border is still closed and United SFO-SJD doesn't have any flights. :wow:

SFandH - 6-18-2020 at 08:18 AM

The Mexican border is not closed. US citizens can cross southbound. Non-US citizens cannot cross northbound for non-essential travel. That's the reality of the situation.

[Edited on 6-18-2020 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2020 at 10:15 AM

If you enter mexico on non-essential travel, you are probably entering mexico in violation of orders prohibiting non-essential entry into mexico,... so will your auto insurance be valid if your presence in mexico is illegal?

[Edited on 6-18-2020 by mtgoat666]

BajaBill74 - 6-18-2020 at 10:41 AM

According to Discover Baja, the border is closed to non-essential travel. So is Northern Baja. That means that even if you could cross the border, you would have to drive to Guerrero Negro.

I guess the real question is who knows for sure what is happening at the border.

If you believe Discover Baja, it doesn't look like the chances of driving from the border to GN are very good.

https://www.discoverbaja.com/baja-california-information/roa...

[Edited on 6-18-2020 by BajaBill74]

SFandH - 6-18-2020 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  

I guess the real question is who knows for sure what is happening at the border.

I know for sure that I drove into Mexico at San Ysidro the week before last. No questions asked. Other nomads have recently posted about crossing south, going to BCS, no problems.

BajaNomad - 6-18-2020 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  

Can't get there, however. The border is still closed and United SFO-SJD doesn't have any flights.

----
On June 20, Los Cabos will start welcoming flights from Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, Charlotte, Houston, and Chicago with airlines including American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta, Southwest and United Airlines returning in July.

On July 4, Eastern Airlines will launch its first direct flight from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to Los Cabos operating twice a week. “This flight marks an important milestone for the destination as we continue to work on increasing airlift from the East Coast of the United States for the Summer and upcoming Fall season,” said Rodrigo Esponda, Managing Director of Los Cabos Tourism Board.
----

https://www.visitloscabos.travel/blog/post/los-cabos-reopeni...

JZ - 6-18-2020 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

On July 4, Eastern Airlines will launch its first direct flight from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to Los Cabos operating twice a week. “This flight marks an important milestone for the destination as we continue to work on increasing airlift from the East Coast of the United States for the Summer and upcoming Fall season,” said Rodrigo Esponda, Managing Director of Los Cabos Tourism Board.

Bringing ppl directly from the pandemic epicenter to Cabo.

"That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

[Edited on 6-18-2020 by JZ]