BajaNomad

October RV camping in or around Gonzaga Bay

Howard - 6-13-2020 at 01:12 PM

We are pretty familiar with the accessible beach RV spots going down highway #1 and have done it a number of times. This time we are going to do something different and go down through San Felipe and over to the Gonzaga Bay area to camp. There will be around 5 rigs with 30 feet being the biggest. We are self contained and for the most part will be cooking at the site.

We definitely want to be on the beach, preferably with electricity but not mandatory. Don't want to do to much off roading to get to the spot but good dirt is OK.

Will probably spend the first night in S.F. and then head to GB.

Where do you suggest to stay?

Bajazly - 6-13-2020 at 01:17 PM

The easiest to get to is the palapas just south of the airstrip at the gas station, right across from Rancho Grande Market.

Howard - 6-13-2020 at 01:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I overnighted there around 5 years ago before the new highway was completed.

Were willing to take a slightly less traveled road to something more secluded.

David K - 6-13-2020 at 03:01 PM

No electricity.
Rancho Grande on the beach (south side of the runway, or second driveway south of the Pemex).
Otherwise, Camp Beluga, a mile south but 2 sandy miles in and that might be an issue for a 30 footer.

Howard - 6-13-2020 at 03:15 PM

Gonzaga Bay sounded good and still sounds good but is there anything in-between say S.F. and Gonzaga? There is absolutely nothing wrong with Rancho Grande but looking for something a little more remote. I remember it as a good place to overnight or spend a couple of days but not sure about spending 5-7 days.

I know were limited because of not having 4 wheel and the heavy RV's and campers but what else do you people have. If we were going down #1, I could tell you where to go but I am rookie on this route.

No electric, water or toilets is OK

del mar - 6-13-2020 at 03:22 PM

what are you gonna do for a week, will there be boats?

Howard - 6-13-2020 at 03:42 PM

Maybe a couple tin boats and maybe a couple ATVs. Shore fishing? Panga's available to charter? Water should be warm so snorkeling and splashing around.

Of course there will be some serious happy hour horseshoes and very serious cribbage.

The best part is telling lies around the campfire although it might be a little warm for that.

We will have a couple of 4 wheel tow cars for adventures.

pacificobob - 6-13-2020 at 04:25 PM

Perhaps spark a few fatties 'round the campfire. ....or not

Howard - 6-13-2020 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Perhaps spark a few fatties 'round the campfire. ....or not

I am really taken back by your insinuation!

Why do I have to wait for the campfire? :biggrin::)

JZ - 6-14-2020 at 02:15 PM

7 days is a really long time to spend around there. Gonzaga is definitely the best spot in that general area.

But if it's me, I'm driving a little further South to Concepcion Bay.

You might also be able to get into one of the Southern beaches of the Seven Sisters. Like a Punta Lobos. The road going North from Santa Rosalillita is dirt, but very fast. We drive it 50mph in the truck.

You'd have to check it out to see if you can make it, I'd think yes. But I can tell you for sure it's 10x better than Gonzaga Bay. Not that far from Gonzaga.

[Edited on 6-14-2020 by JZ]

Don Pisto - 6-14-2020 at 02:54 PM

I don't think you'll be able to beat rancho grande with the large group you have going......october in gonzaga bay, priceless:coolup: