BajaNomad

Trail repair of a Taco

JZ - 8-6-2020 at 02:13 PM

What would you have done?

chippy - 8-6-2020 at 02:26 PM

That looks to be a pretty weak link? Just hitting a rock bends it like that?

Don Pisto - 8-6-2020 at 02:28 PM

drive it out on three wheels just like Hamilton at Silverstone...:P

motoged - 8-6-2020 at 02:46 PM

Buy the yellow jeep.....

Ask everyone to solve your problems

The usual....

[Edited on 8-7-2020 by motoged]

bajatrailrider - 8-6-2020 at 02:58 PM

Of course drive it out three wheels why not.

BornFisher - 8-6-2020 at 03:10 PM

Called a tow truck.

PaulW - 8-7-2020 at 06:55 AM

Just another example of shoddy engineering.
By the fix and by the basic design

[Edited on 8-7-2020 by PaulW]

chuckie - 8-7-2020 at 07:46 AM

Never would have bought one...TOY truck

David K - 8-7-2020 at 08:22 AM

Did you guys even watch the video? The yakketty yak lady drove into a boulder, probably while distracted, yakking on her phone? The tires looked oversize as well, reducing the normal clearance that may have prevented bending that part? If it was a weak part or shabby build, we would be seeing a lot more of the same failure. You can't collide with a boulder and not do damage.

AKgringo - 8-7-2020 at 08:51 AM

A trip to town for parts and a welding shop is hardly a "field repair"! I hate it when a "reality" show starts playing to the cameras.

There is no reason they could not have put that Tacoma on the flatbed and dragged it back to safely repair it in town. Would you want to drive it with that B.S, wheel conversion?

PaulW - 8-7-2020 at 10:34 AM

DK you are living in a dream
No visible damage to the tire, but a bent control arm + bad design.
A Jeep would never had such a failure no matter how hard the hit on the rock.
This has been proven many times on my rig.
Also My bronco has survive even bigger hits with no damage.
Toyotas are not meant for off road travel

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Did you guys even watch the video? The yakketty yak lady drove into a boulder, probably while distracted, yakking on her phone? The tires looked oversize as well, reducing the normal clearance that may have prevented bending that part? If it was a weak part or shabby build, we would be seeing a lot more of the same failure. You can't collide with a boulder and not do damage.

motoged - 8-7-2020 at 11:16 AM

David,
It must be difficult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Don Pisto - 8-7-2020 at 11:29 AM

barely kissed that rock, heck she didn't even know she hit it!

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2020 at 11:43 AM

Looks like a tow truck could have driven that road, looked like a well-maintained Road. That offroad rescue service probably does not own a tow truck, so sold the lady a poor substitute!
Those toyotas appear to very fragile. Dk, be careful going off road, looks like weak front end!

JZ - 8-7-2020 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Looks like a tow truck could have driven that road, looked like a well-maintained Road. That offroad rescue service probably does not own a tow truck, so sold the lady a poor substitute!
Those toyotas appear to very fragile. Dk, be careful going off road, looks like weak front end!

He owns a tow truck. Watch his videos.

David K - 8-7-2020 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

I guess I saw something different... The rescue guy examined the tire and saw the damage to the sidewall... then he walked back down the road to the curve and found TWO rocks she banged into: a basketball size one and then the boulder, both with black rubber residue. You can hear the emarresed reply she gave him when he asked her if the noise began at the curve... LOL

Everytime a Jeep goes off road they seem to break shock mounts, if not something else. I am not down on Jeep as a brand, I used to own one, my dad owned two, and I like them as a vehicle type. They just are NOT reliable, in my opinion (anymore). You rarely see Jeeps traveling solo... too risky. Even the rescue guy trailers his Jeep to the dirt as he is concerned about it breaking if driven too far... He said that in another of his videos.

In any case, if this was a Toyota fail, then why is this the first time seeing it here on Nomad. We have more Tacoma owners here than any other brand 4x4 mid-size truck (and maybe more than any other 4x4?). You guys (on Baja Internet forums) convinced me to not buy a Ford when I went shopping twenty years ago... Primarily Neal Johns, but a whole bunch of others as well. Getting a Tacoma was the best decision I ever made, and I am on my third (and final) Tacoma.

Control arm?

John M - 8-7-2020 at 04:31 PM

It looks like the steering knuckle to me, not the control arm.

There are many aftermarket control arm kits available, haven't seen a steering knuckle aftermarket replacement/improvement so this may be an isolated event or I'd think you also see them readily available.

John M

Bajazly - 8-7-2020 at 08:47 PM

The spindle uprights are a little weak but welding some gussets on boxing them in makes them pretty bullet proof. Total Chaos has a pretty good set but I took it a step further and made another part that forms a full boxed upright.

IFS is referred to by some as a vagina front end because they are a little delicate but in the desert in the rough IFS rules.