BajaNomad

Read PORTRAIT OF PALOMA Harry Crosby

BajaBlanca - 8-6-2020 at 08:06 PM

Well, I just finished the book today. It is very well written in that the words simply flow. But it is one of the weirdest plots I have ever seen.

I understand this was the one and only non-fiction book that Crosby wrote.

Amazingly different than all the cave painting books, that's for sure.

Who here met him? What was he like?

David K - 8-6-2020 at 08:53 PM

I have a few times and the last time was at his home when he gave me several cases of his books. Doug was with me and Elizabeth took photos, posted here last November.
I have several copies of Portrait of Paloma and his excellent Gateway to Alta California. They are for sale below wholesale at www.oldmissions.com

BajaBlanca - 8-7-2020 at 02:58 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93522#pid1172...

Great photos! It may have been because of that thread that I ordered the books.

I have Guacamole Dip and that will be the next read.

BajaBlanca - 8-7-2020 at 03:05 AM

Just to clarify - I ordered these books oh so long ago but they just got a ride down to me in La Bocana and arrived 2 days ago!

David K - 8-7-2020 at 07:58 AM

:light: :bounce: :cool:

billklaser - 8-7-2020 at 09:11 AM

Blanca, I'll tell you a little story about Crosby. Going back to circa 1963, Mr. Crosby was a chemistry teacher at La Jolla High School. I personally was not a student of his, reason being I wasn't smart enough as he only taught advanced chemistry. However my older brother was in his class. Without going into details here, my brother pulled a stunt at the school which really irritated the administration. The vice principal tried to get my brother expelled, and wanted Mr. Crosby's support. Mr. Crosby in front of the entire class made it perfectly clear to the vice principal that was not going to happen. He was well respected and liked by most of us at the school. I think he is a man of strong conviction to his beliefs.

BajaBlanca - 8-7-2020 at 04:13 PM

That is a great story! Pray tell us, WHAT WAS THE STUNT?

billklaser - 8-8-2020 at 07:20 AM

Blanca, My brother put a smoke bomb in the school administration building at lunch time right out side the vice principals office. He put it in a metal locker so there would be no damage to the property. Lots & lots of smoke. The VP wanted him expelled & charged with arson. After an investigation the police saw it as a childish prank, & charged him with a misdemeanor. My dad moved him to a private school to graduate because of fear of retribution. Having one of the top grade averages my brother went on to get an advanced degree in physics from UCSD.

David K - 8-8-2020 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
Blanca, My brother put a smoke bomb in the school administration building at lunch time right out side the vice principals office. He put it in a metal locker so there would be no damage to the property. Lots & lots of smoke. The VP wanted him expelled & charged with arson. After an investigation the police saw it as a childish prank, & charged him with a misdemeanor. My dad moved him to a private school to graduate because of fear of retribution. Having one of the top grade averages my brother went on to get an advanced degree in physics from UCSD.

That is a CLASSIC story! Fast Times at La Jolla High! How funny!! :lol:

BajaBlanca - 8-8-2020 at 05:05 PM

What a prank. OMGosh. And good on the police for doing the right thing! Kids will be kids. Always and forever.