BajaNomad

Anyone displaced or evacuated in California:

caj13 - 8-20-2020 at 11:57 AM

If anyone here is being Evacuated or displaced by the fires here in Califonia, I can offer anyone a place to stay at my place in the mountains above Fresno. I have power that will not be shut off, and a horse setup and lots of room if you need to move your animals.

Wish i could help you move em, but i really don't have the trailers that would be needed.

regardless, if anyone needs a place to stay - just U2U me, I'll send you my phone # and we can connect and see if i have any thing that can help you out.

stay safe,
good luck to all of you
Caj

thebajarunner - 8-20-2020 at 02:12 PM

Are you above the smoke?
Here in Oakdale it is like winter fog and teary eyes prevail.
They showed a map that indicates that the smoke from our local Del Puerto Canyon fire is reaching Montana.

Bravo to you for your offer.
If it gets much worse here I may come sit on your porch....

David K - 8-20-2020 at 02:14 PM

Excellent Nomad offer, bravo caj13.

Lee - 8-20-2020 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
If anyone here is being Evacuated or displaced by the fires here in Califonia, I can offer anyone a place to stay at my place in the mountains above Fresno. I have power that will not be shut off, and a horse setup and lots of room if you need to move your animals.

Wish i could help you move em, but i really don't have the trailers that would be needed.

regardless, if anyone needs a place to stay - just U2U me, I'll send you my phone # and we can connect and see if i have any thing that can help you out.

stay safe,
good luck to all of you
Caj

Magnanimous. Bravo.

AKgringo - 8-20-2020 at 02:43 PM

The "Jones fire" near Grass Valley and Nevada City is still burning, but the mandatory evacuation area has been lifted for about 80% of the homes involved.

I know there are Nomads around here, and if any of you are still locked out of your neighborhood, I have a couple of rooms, and a fair bit of parking space available.

Send me a U2U message if I can help!

Gary

BajaBlanca - 8-20-2020 at 05:11 PM

Way to go guys!

CaboMagic - 8-20-2020 at 06:09 PM

BRAVO caj13 BIG Time
Just sent you a U2U
If anyone takes you up on your incredible offer, please let us know here on Baja Nomad.
We will send something to help with their immediate needs.
Blessings, Lori & T

advrider - 8-20-2020 at 06:55 PM

Would love to help out if anyone need it to move animals or anything else... Good on you.

caj13 - 8-20-2020 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Are you above the smoke?
Here in Oakdale it is like winter fog and teary eyes prevail.
They showed a map that indicates that the smoke from our local Del Puerto Canyon fire is reaching Montana.

Bravo to you for your offer.
If it gets much worse here I may come sit on your porch....

Hey Baja, smoke here (Auberry) wasn't bad at all up until this afternoon, had a wind shift, upslope wind) brought in a fair amount. and now we have some, but no where near winter fog, more like high overcast and slight smell. you're welcome here anytime

Lee - 8-20-2020 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
BRAVO caj13 BIG Time
Just sent you a U2U
If anyone takes you up on your incredible offer, please let us know here on Baja Nomad.
We will send something to help with their immediate needs.
Blessings, Lori & T

x2

sancho - 8-20-2020 at 09:04 PM

As I remember caj13 made the same very generous offer during
the LA fires, maybe 2 yrs. back, nothing but congratulations,
a genuine stand up guy

TMW - 8-21-2020 at 09:33 PM

Excellent, Nomads offering help to other Nomads in time of need.

caj13 - 9-6-2020 at 01:40 PM

well guys, i wish my offer still stood, but I just got evacuation order from the Creek fire. My place will be fine, pretty much fire proof, and lots of clearing, just have to wait it out in town for a couple of days I guess.

BTW turns out it was started by campers who just had to have a campfire, even though it was in no fires area - if you are that stoopid, stay out of the mountains!

AKgringo - 9-6-2020 at 02:43 PM

well guys, i wish my offer still stood, but I just got evacuation order from the Creek fire. My place will be fine, pretty much fire proof, and lots of clearing, just have to wait it out in town for a couple of days I guess.

I am in Grass Valley, about 3 1/2 or 4 hours north of you. Your smoke is drifting over us right now, and you are welcome to watch it from my place if Fresno is booked up. I have two bedrooms available, U2U if you need more info.

Skully - 9-6-2020 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
BTW turns out it was started by campers who just had to have a campfire, even though it was in no fires area - if you are that stoopid, stay out of the mountains!

I wish people like that were billed for suppression costs. :fire:

Good luck on your place floating through...

Good luck indeed!
The news says that the smoke that we're getting here near Sacramento is from the Creek Fire in Fresno county. :O

AKgringo - 9-6-2020 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I wish people like that were billed for suppression costs. :fire:

I remember at least two times in recent years that the responsible parties were billed for the costs, but I will be willing to bet that even more money was spent trying to collect dollars than was recovered!

caj13 - 9-6-2020 at 04:54 PM

Thanks AK Gringo, Lucky enough to have a daughter in town with a big place, including a pool and a BBQ, bout time for her to start paying us back for all we did for her!

But I appreciate the offer! i suspect by tomorrow afternoon, it's going to be all over in our little area, either it comes through or they get it contained, but its going to happen over the next 24 hours!

The issue right now is blistering heat 105 today, more of the same tomorrow before it cools down to a frigid 98 on tuesday. at least not much in the way of winds, but we need a temp drop and a humidity bump

advrider - 9-6-2020 at 09:28 PM

This has been the worse year for people heading to the mountains! The TP and human crap alone is terrible but I have found 3 camp fires left smoldering! One two weeks ago stared a fire across HWY 88 from my cabin but luck was with us and they caught it fast.

P.S.P.S. tonight

AKgringo - 9-7-2020 at 07:39 AM

I just received notice from PGE that due to a forecast of a wind event in my area, the power will be shut off this evening for 24 hours. (subject to change)

It will be triple digits here again today!

BajaBlanca - 9-7-2020 at 07:51 AM

Triple digits, no electricity, Oh my gosh. I would recommend coming to Baja and waiting it out but I am sure you want to be near your home in case something does happen.

Stay safe amigos.

The power is back on in Nevada County!

AKgringo - 9-9-2020 at 06:01 PM

In addition to the huge ongoing fires, two new ones have flared up north and south of where I am. They do not pose any threat to Grass Valley, but he high smoke clouds have caused some surreal lighting conditions.

Anybody reading this that needs to evacuate the new fires, I can provide a few rooms and a fair amount of parking space.

Lee - 9-9-2020 at 08:30 PM

Somewhere near Rocky Mountain National Park, I'm at 9'000' where it's been triple digit for days with choking smoke from surrounding fires (CA, OR, CO, NM). Overnight it's in the 20's with a foot of snow on the ground. Sure is pretty. Beats the smoke.

Pescadero dreaming.:tumble:

Fatboy - 9-14-2020 at 03:10 PM

The folks offering the places to stay and assistance have been beyond kind. I am sorry to here about the fire near your place CAJ13, hopefully it misses you.

A lot of folks are getting hammered pretty bad right now. I have lived in Berry Creek for nigh on 5 years now and have been affected by the Oroville Dam crisis and the Camp fire along with another fire 4 years ago.

It looks like this one did it though. I was at work when the warning came in and by the time I left to go home it was blocked off. My sister left her place before me and raced up there and made it.

We were not concerned at the time since the fire was so far away. She throw a handful of my clothes in her car and then they proceed to get the horse trailer hooked up and started loading the horses.

We live 2 miles down a dirt road and when they went to restart the truck it would not start. They ended up unloading the horses and walking the horses out with the dogs and some stuff thrown in her car.

By the time they reached pavement the fire had spread to the east of Berry Creek. We requested help from animal rescue and they sent a trailer up and got the horses down to Oroville were some friends from Wheatland picked them up and took them to their place.

By 10pm we were at my sister's finding a place for everyone to sleep. At 3am we received evacuation order for my sister's place but we figured her place was safe so we stayed. Wednesday morning showed the fire a little ways from our place in Berry Creek and the wind had died down.

There was little movement on the line below our place and by Thursday afternoon it had barely moved. We found the live cam from Bloomer Hill around 4PM and it showed a massive amount of smoke from what looked like was the far side of our place.

While we could not see our place on the cam since it was a little over a mile way it still looked as if our place was safe at the time.
It was the FIRE LINE > then OUR PLACE > then BLOOMER HILL.

Thursday evening we were able to see the fire advance over our place and up Bloomer Hill and by 9PM the fire had burned over Bloomer Hill.

All indications are that we lost everything except the few things that we had in my sister car

For me it amounted to some clothes, some backpacking gear, a GPS and a my cameras.

Of course until they allow us to return we will not know for sure. It is hard to lose possessions like that but they can be replaced mostly.

What I am having hard time with are those irreplaceable items. My daughter said a few weeks back, 'Remember, Dad, if anything happens get the pictures.' We had lost her mother a few years back very suddenly and we all struggled with it. She was only 50 and was fine the day before.

The few real things my children had of their mom are the pictures and journals of our trips. We, as parents, took our kids on a lot of trips. Right now it is just a matter of waiting.

[Edited on 9-14-2020 by Fatboy]

AKgringo - 9-14-2020 at 03:25 PM

Fatboy......Check your U2U!

caj13 - 9-16-2020 at 01:01 PM

so sorry to hear that Fatboy. I know first hand of your pain, as i watched on the internet as fire bombers bombed my home and a crew stationed themselves on the roof of my house and the perimeter to defend it.

We got incredibly lucky, betweem the aerial tankers and a VERY FORTUITOUS wind shift, our place was spared. it was threatened again 2 days later, not so close that time.

We were allowed back in yesterday afternoon (9 days we were gone) , such an emotional rollercoaster, to come around the corner and see your place safe, and the gratitude for those incredibly brave and skilled souls who, not knowing us from Adam, put their lives on the line to protect our home.

If You need a place, I'm back up - open for business, and do have a horse setup!

advrider - 9-16-2020 at 06:45 PM

Very sad, fatboy I sent you a u2u... Had a fire break out a mile from my house this morning, only thing that saved us was the neighbor had a dozer and cut a line before the trucks got there!
We too have a plan but hope to never use it!

AKgringo - 9-16-2020 at 08:38 PM

Fatboy....I sent another U2U about possible help when you finally are allowed back on your property!

Fatboy - 9-16-2020 at 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone and it is good to see others are making it through.

As Caj13 said... The roller coaster has been brutal, it has burned through, it hasn't burned through, it definitely burned through and today the CalFire shows a fire line around the two dirt roads that have a total of 7 or 8 homes.

There is always hope yet today this fire is in the top 5 or 6 for size, for deaths and for damage. A lot of folks are going to be hurting on this one and my heart goes out to each and everyone.

As far as us we are doing good, we are at my sister's and doing well. Sunday was my 56th Birthday and to think that some very important items had burned was really hard. Writing about it made a huge difference.

As far as important stuff... I was with Debbie for 20 years and we have two children and while we had been separated for a few years our children where important to us.

Debbie passed away very suddenly with no warning a few years back. So all our pictures, the kids baby books, journals of our trips with our kids are very important to us and they are still at the house, for better or worse.

CasaMaximus - 9-17-2020 at 08:01 PM

I was evacuated at o'dark thirty a month ago when the LNU Complex fires came for a visit to Vacaville's North side. Tonight was the first time we were able to open the house to fresh air.

caj13 - 9-17-2020 at 08:58 PM

Paging fatboy! any updates for us? we are pulling for ya!

Fatboy - 9-18-2020 at 01:13 PM

Nothing new .... just watching the news and all the fire pages and waiting.... and waiting...
the fire inspection teams have been around our area but not into the area... to me it means still fire fighting in that area or there are a lot of hazards such as downed power lines and trees ....
Butte county said they might release drone mapping footage today but nothing I can find yet

BajaBlanca - 9-18-2020 at 01:35 PM

Oh my, so sorry to hear of all this loss and chaos. My heart goes out to all of you.

caj13 - 9-18-2020 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Nothing new .... just watching the news and all the fire pages and waiting.... and waiting...
the fire inspection teams have been around our area but not into the area... to me it means still fire fighting in that area or there are a lot of hazards such as downed power lines and trees ....
Butte county said they might release drone mapping footage today but nothing I can find yet

Yeah, been there done that. I suspect you have already found them, but i used the Caltopo website, and clicked on the fire coverage option on the right, I really like the VIIRS 375 M band, it shows the fire, particularly new detections (based on satellite IR images. only trouble is it updates only once or 2 times a day , based on satellite passes. great way to track the fire progress, the boundaries, and see where the fire is headed and picking up

I was also fascinated, and watched fire bombers protecting my house using "Flightradar24". It shows all the individual planes IDs them, shows their tracks etc, really a good way to get a sense of where the fire managers are most concerned. You can even click on 3D coverage and watch from a tail view looking forward as the plane flies over the map, by watching the speeds and elevations you can figure exactly when they drop!

The fires are flaring again!

AKgringo - 9-28-2020 at 09:14 AM

The North complex fire, started by lightning over a month ago, jumped containment last night! Hopefully it can be brought under containment soon, but strong east winds are pushing it toward the town of Paradise again.

In addition to that, two new fires have started in the coast range, and from the morning news reports they appear to have burned over 18,000 acres! There is at least a month more of high fire danger ahead of us!

There are no fires burning near me right now, but our local airport is a fire retardant filling station, so even when it is not smokey here we are reminded of the danger around us.

BajaTed - 9-28-2020 at 10:25 AM

On a related note
Did a fall test of my fire fighting system cuz the Santana winds will be here soon.
Its based on a generator and my swimming pool with 25K gals. of water.
My 2" hose and big pump shoots water nicely.
If any embers in the wind get blown up under the eaves, its all she wrote in my neighborhood.
I envision the rich folks up hill getting all the fire resources.

Sure glad we are not San Diego County, they have the least air resources in the state.