BajaNomad

Interested in having someone drive our car from Portland, OR to Loreto

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 08:47 AM

Hi All,

We bought a house in Loreto and are leaving in a couple of weeks to stay there for 2 months. We aren't able to drive our car down this for this trip and heard that it may be possible to hire someone to do that for us.

I'm happy to post this somewhere else if needed. Thank you for your help!

Megan

Skully - 8-21-2020 at 09:06 AM

It is my understanding that when driving (importing) a private vehicle across the border into Mexico, the registered owner of the vehicle must be in the vehicle.

I'll see if I can find information that will verify whether or not that is correct.

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 09:07 AM

Thank you for checking! I just spoke to someone who has done this with their car but it would be great to be certain.

Skully - 8-21-2020 at 09:19 AM

This is according to Mexpro.com regarding temporary importation of a vehicle into Mexico.

Other Drivers
If the documentation shows the vehicle is registered in the name of a spouse, the importation can be done as long as the marriage certificate (and a copy) is presented.A vehicle temporarily imported by the owner may be driven in Mexico by a spouse or adult children, as long as they have the same immigration status. Other persons may drive the vehicle as long as the owner is in the vehicle.

https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html

[Edited on 8-21-2020 by Skully]

Skully - 8-21-2020 at 09:23 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one driving that vehicle, because if someone checks the registration and the owner of the vehicle is not present, I would think that person would be in a VERY uncomfortable position.

chippy - 8-21-2020 at 09:39 AM

Insurance might be an issue also.

Exactly what I was thinking

thebajarunner - 8-21-2020 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Some years back one of my companies donated a pickup truck to Rancho Santa Marta in San Vicente.
A friend offered to drive it down and meet us there for the ride back home
No problemo....

Couple years ago I had a major conflict and could not make our annual trek down with my gang. I offered my traveling partner, Baja Vida, my pickup for the trip. We drafted a notarized letter giving my permission for him and co-driver to take it and no one blinked at that.
Easy and worked out just fine. Again, we made sure it was properly insured. They drove the usual 1000 mile loop through Baja with no concerns.

But, if you got in a wreck, then the insurance would need to match the driver info, for sure.

I would check with Geoff at Bajabound and see what can be done to properly insure the vehicle.

Lengua - 8-21-2020 at 09:51 AM

why would you import the car. Weve always left our truck in Loreto and La Paz year around without importing. Yes , we know its suppose to leave after a period of XX but lets face it that's not the case for a lot of us.

Welcome to the forum!

AKgringo - 8-21-2020 at 10:01 AM

Some folks will be reluctant to reply to a first time post by someone who registered today, but I will play!

A few years ago, I towed a boat on a trailer that were registered in CA to my dad. My vehicle and ID were from AK, so I had a notarized statement from him that I had his permission.

If you are able to make a connection with someone who is willing (and you trust) to drive your vehicle, a notarized statement from you that the person is your guest, and has your permission to drive your vehicle to the address in Loreto might be enough!

Caution is advised to you, and to anyone interested in this adventure! Certainly, much more information needs to be exchanged, but not necessarily in an open exchange. There is a private message feature here, it is the U2U link.

AKgringo - 8-21-2020 at 10:38 AM

I drive an older vehicle that I buy an annual, liability only policy. I am the only one listed on it right now, but I could add an additional driver or two. It would also cover me driving someone else's vehicle (most vehicles).

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 11:49 AM

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your willingness to discuss this with a newbie. Since I am new I am not sure how to check direct messages on this platform but I welcome anyone who is interested in discussing this further.

Thanks for the tips on the notary!

AKgringo - 8-21-2020 at 12:03 PM

mvbigelow, please understand that most people on this forum are eager to help newbies! There just happen to be a few trolls that post B.S. from time to time just to jerk people around.

Also, it would be helpful for anyone considering being your driver to know what they would be driving (wouldn't want to drive Jed Clampet's truck to Beverly Hills)

Are you hoping for someone that would want a free, one way rental car to Loreto, or are thinking of picking up their round trip expenses?

I will send a trial U2U message.

[Edited on 8-21-2020 by AKgringo]

JZ - 8-21-2020 at 12:04 PM

BajaBound has told me that non owner operators are covered including MX citizens.

Police may give you an issue if a MX citizen is driving and you aren't in the vehicle (especially in certain places on the mainland), but Baja Bound has told me repeatably that they are covered whether you are in the car or not.

Suggest calling them and seeing what they say.

[Edited on 8-21-2020 by JZ]

Mexicans love notary

thebajarunner - 8-21-2020 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mvbigelow  
Thank you everyone! I appreciate your willingness to discuss this with a newbie. Since I am new I am not sure how to check direct messages on this platform but I welcome anyone who is interested in discussing this further.

Thanks for the tips on the notary!

Here in the US it is important but not to the degree in Mexico.
A Mexican notarized document is solid gold
Here it "should be" but not always.

California notary went through a real upheaval back in the last real estate crash.
Seems like lots and lots of documents were not up to speed....
I'm a developer
I can remember many times one of our older investors coming to the office to sign documents. When the notary would ask about the wife he would hop up and say "She is in the car, not feeling well, be right back"
And two minutes later he is back with "her" signature, which looked precisely like his.

Oh.... those were the days my friend, glad they are past....

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 01:40 PM

Thanks for the question. Here are the details.

1. If we can find a driver, my husband and I plan to buy a small SUV (CRV-type), 2015+ in good condition.

2. In said car, I'd pack a few things, but nothing much.

3. I'd offer to pay for trip expenses and some extra cash? I don't know what the going rate is.

4. I'd take care of the notary with advice from this group as to where to get it and what it should say.

5. We are flying to Loreto on 9/3 and I'd hope to line up the timing around that.

6. I would contact my insurance to ensure they know a friend is driving it.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

BajaBound has told me that non owner operators are covered including MX citizens.

Police may give you an issue if a MX citizen is driving and you aren't in the vehicle (especially in certain places on the mainland), but Baja Bound has told me repeatably that they are covered whether you are in the car or not.

David K - 8-21-2020 at 01:50 PM

I may be missing something, lol, but why are you not driving to Loreto? It is a fantastic place with unique scenery and alien-looking desert landscape. Loreto is a two-day drive from the border... Overnight in San Ignacio, a tropical desert oasis developed in 1728 as a California mission site on El Camino Real.

I would be happy to make a photo post of sites you would see along the way... You won't want to fly over and miss that, once you see!

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 01:52 PM

Sorry, i quoted the wrong message above. I meant to quote the one with the poster asking for more details :)

David K - 8-21-2020 at 01:58 PM

Sorry, i quoted the wrong message above. I meant to quote the one with the poster asking for more details :)

Welcome to Baja Nomad.

You can edit your own posts as well a remove them. Just click the Edit button.
A u2u is the private message system here. Anybody you want to message in private, click the u2u button next to the box with their post. When you have a u2u to read, the notification is in the top right corner, by your Nomad name, in blue.

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 02:01 PM

To clarify, we can't drive because of work and kid reasons :)

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2020 at 02:11 PM

Thanks for the question. Here are the details.

1. If we can find a driver, my husband and I plan to buy a small SUV (CRV-type), 2015+ in good condition.

2. In said car, I'd pack a few things, but nothing much.

3. I'd offer to pay for trip expenses and some extra cash? I don't know what the going rate is.

4. I'd take care of the notary with advice from this group as to where to get it and what it should say.

5. We are flying to Loreto on 9/3 and I'd hope to line up the timing around that.

6. I would contact my insurance to ensure they know a friend is driving it.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Since you dont own the car yet, and are moving soon, Buy a car in mexico after you move to mexico.

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but we'd prefer to do it via US purchase.

JZ - 8-21-2020 at 02:20 PM

Here's what I would do.

Arrange for someone to drive the car to San Diego or have it transported there. Fly from Oregon to SD on a Friday. Drive down to Loreto. Fly back out of Loreto on a Sunday or Monday.

[Edited on 8-22-2020 by JZ]

mvbigelow - 8-21-2020 at 03:04 PM

I'd be open to doing that as well. At this point I am in need of a driver who is willing to entertain either option:

PDX -> Loreto
PDX -> San Diego

Skully - 8-21-2020 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Since you dont own the car yet, and are moving soon, Buy a car in mexico after you move to mexico.

It is my understanding that you cannot purchase a car in Mexico without having Permanent Residency.

Crazy? Yes
Why not? I dont know.

JZ - 8-21-2020 at 03:35 PM

Check out uship.com.

Bet you can have it delivered to SD for $600-$700.

mvbigelow - 8-22-2020 at 07:06 AM

Thank you and will do!

Driving car to Loreto

Malibat - 8-27-2020 at 03:39 PM

Greetings.
Please check your U2U for message regarding car delivery to Loreto.
Thank you.

Bruce R Leech - 8-28-2020 at 09:58 AM

isn't this just a little bit like hey would you please take my suitcase across the border for me it's a little too heavy I'll meet you on the other side and pick it up. I would be just a little bit leery of being the one to drive that truck across the border. I could be money or guns or anything stashed in the truck

bajatrailrider - 8-28-2020 at 10:03 AM

as norm useless troll info with no knowledge of used cars in Mexico. :bounce:

Lee - 8-28-2020 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  
isn't this just a little bit like hey would you please take my suitcase across the border for me it's a little too heavy I'll meet you on the other side and pick it up. I would be just a little bit leery of being the one to drive that truck across the border. I could be money or guns or anything stashed in the truck

For this reason, I wouldn't be interested either. I could do it as a favor, not for money, for someone I trusted and knew. Put another way, if there was something illegal onboard, that was found at secondary, guess who'd be arrested?

thebajarunner - 8-28-2020 at 05:46 PM

I told this story before, but it sort of fits, so short version
Flying my Cutlass back from LaPaz after a successful 1000, my co-pilot was Western NASCAR champion Jack McCoy, who also was my racing partner.
We filed flight plan at the base of the tower and headed for the plane.
The guy who filed our plan comes running out and waving at us. We waited and he handed me a package, size of a small briefcase, and said "You are filed to Loreto, they need these flight plans, please give them to the officer when you close your plan" and headed back to his office.

Hmmmmmmm
Well, we boarded the plane, tossed the package on the back seat and took off. Few minutes later the discussion commence. What to do??

Do we open the package, which was taped shut, and see what is inside? Do we open the window and toss it out over the Sea of Cortez? Do we abort Loreto and hope to find gas elsewhere?

It was a long couple of hours, back and forth. Finally landed, strolled into the office, handed over the package and casually said, "Can we file a flight plan to Mexicali, por favor"

He tucked the package under the counter, wrote up our plan and we we seriously outta there..... Whew!!!

The classic "no-win situation" for sure.