BajaNomad

Incident at Coco's Corner, reported 8-24-20, on Facebook. GoFundMe link added.

David K - 8-25-2020 at 07:13 AM

From Larry on Ride Baja:

A couple weeks ago I posted about Coco's Corner Ranch needing a new refrigerator. I got one donated locally and we took it to him today, getting there late AM. When we turned off the main road, about halfway to his house we saw his truck. We checked and it was locked and no one in it. We called out but no answer. We continued on to his place and to our relief he was there. His truck broke down yesterday PM. He crawled out and got under the truck for shade. About 7PM he started crawling on hands and stumps to home. He got there about 3AM. We towed his truck back to his place. He got a little weepy at times when we were there, so lucky to have someone there to help. So glad we picked today to go there.
==========================================================================

EDIT) ADDED ON 8/31/20:

Recently (Baja legend) Coco's truck transmission gave out causing him to crawl on his hands and stumps back about 1.5 miles to his house.

Luckily my wife and I happened by the next AM and helped him tow his truck back to his house before it got stripped and burned, which happens quickly to abandoned vehicles. He has no phone or other means of communication at his house. Knowing he needed a transmission, a group of us went to his place with a truck and car hauler. We checked out the truck and found numerous other problems present or waiting to happen. We had a mechanic in the group to help with the assessment and it was clear that this truck was beyond repair. Since the new road went through he has very little business.

In Coco's situation he needs a dependable vehicle not only for everyday supplies but for medical visits to Ensenada .
We are raising money to purchase Coco a better vehicle so he won't be left in that situation again.

Coco and all involved will be very appreciative if we can make this happen.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cocos-corner-vehicle?utm_source=f...

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by David K]

John Harper - 8-25-2020 at 07:33 AM

You're a good man, David. You earned some big karma points. Hell of the time of the year to break down in the desert, OMG. That could have turned out much, much worse. Thank goodness he survived and made it home.

John

pacificobob - 8-25-2020 at 07:51 AM

David forwarded a post....thats what he did. a guy named Larry was the fellow who helped coco.thats the way i understood the post.
i am confident david will earn his karma in other ways

[Edited on 8-25-2020 by pacificobob]

bajatrailrider - 8-25-2020 at 08:56 AM

I have always said David would help anyone stuck as I would too. Thank you David 😊

motoged - 8-25-2020 at 10:29 AM

Reading comprehension?

DK just forwarded a post.... Larry did the good deed.

pacificobob - 8-25-2020 at 12:06 PM

perhaps we have an epidemic reading comprehension problem.

JZ - 8-25-2020 at 12:16 PM

He is one tough son of a b@tch.

Oh. And great work David.

motoged - 8-25-2020 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
perhaps we have an epidemic reading comprehension problem.

Some supporting evidence above :light:

John Harper - 8-25-2020 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Reading comprehension?

It's that high falutin' quality publik school edumacation I learned here in the land of "exceptionalism" and AR-15s.

DK still seems like a man you can count on when needed. And, I've never met him. See how easy "fake news" can spread?

John

[Edited on 8-25-2020 by John Harper]

MPH ?

MrBillM - 8-25-2020 at 12:50 PM

What was the distance covered in those eight hours ?

Years back, watching a flick set in postwar Germany, there was one legless character who strapped himself to a (sort of) skateboard. Something like that (with bigger wheels ?) would seem like a handy bit of emergency gear.

David K - 8-25-2020 at 01:10 PM

Hi guys,
I was offline after posting until now.
The distance from Hwy. 5 to Coco's is about 3 miles. Larry said the truck was about halfway. So maybe under 2 miles for the 83 year-old, legless man to travel... Way too much!
Tough guy.
I will go look at the Facebook page and report any news.

pacificobob - 8-25-2020 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
What was the distance covered in those eight hours ?

Years back, watching a flick set in postwar Germany, there was one legless character who strapped himself to a (sort of) skateboard. Something like that (with bigger wheels ?) would seem like a handy bit of emergency gear.

or, coco could return to his home town [ ensenada if i recall correctly] where the amenities better suit his abilities.

pacificobob - 8-25-2020 at 01:14 PM

BTW , i expect there are very few of us here who would pass a traveler in need...
there is nothing exceptional about stopping to help another traveler on a less traveled road.

motoged - 8-25-2020 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

or, coco could return to his home town [ ensenada if i recall correctly] where the amenities better suit his abilities.

Yes, Coco knows his options. I imagine he prefers his desert home at this time, knowing the opportunities and limitations that exist for him there (he goes to Ensenada for medical care from time to time).

He will likely move on when it is his time....hopefully his last days will be some time from now and in his preferred location.

Who are we to say? Despite out best intentions....

David K - 8-25-2020 at 01:41 PM

Ok, I didn't see any new details but lots of replies.

Yes gang, I simply shared the news, and I said so in the subject line and my opening line.
No thanks to me are needed for helping share the news about a person so many of us dirt road travelers know.
I am always happy to help or relay help info.

AKgringo - 8-25-2020 at 01:47 PM

I stopped by there on my way north either the last day of February, or the first day of March. In the conversation we had, he said he was done with doctors, and I left there with the impression that he will stay there for the rest of his days.

I know he is a hustler, but that is the skill he has left to allow him to live an independent lifestyle. He is a tough old bird, and entertaining to visit!

Skipjack Joe - 8-25-2020 at 03:34 PM

He's leading a tough life no doubt. But it's still better than a rest home.

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2020 at 03:39 PM

OMG I imagine it was so hard for him, the brutal heat, the thought of not making it, the sheer nightmare.

Boy oh boy, it seems to be that someone could live there with him? A kid from a rancho or a nephew.

Is there cell phone service out there? At the very least a cell phone? sat phone? the spot thing you all sometimes mention?

Something for emergencies. Any ideas?

My heart goes out to you Coco.

David K - 8-25-2020 at 03:45 PM

No cell coverage for over 100 miles in any direction.
Satellite phone, inReach, or Spot.
He is close with someone who lives at the ranch, a couple miles to the west of him...

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2020 at 03:47 PM

So he could in theory use SPOT?

mtgoat666 - 8-25-2020 at 03:47 PM

I see these posts where people are gifting to coco beer and womens panties. Y’all should give him a SPOT or garmin satellite emergency device. He doesnt need more beer and panties, he needs a help line.

David K - 8-25-2020 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So he could in theory use SPOT?
Garmin's inReach devices are better as it uses Iridium satellites, 100% coverage. Spot is 'spotty' and much more difficult to email with.

AKgringo - 8-25-2020 at 05:07 PM

I take Coco things he can eat that don't need refrigeration, and things he can sell, like beer and sodas. I don't think he drinks much beer these days, but it is what a lot of people want to buy when they stop there.

What is that phrase.....A monkey can't sell bananas?

baja Steve - 8-26-2020 at 11:29 AM

I have known Coco for many many years and worked with him through both amputations. He is diabetic so when bring food to him try to make it low sugar and at the same time healthy, caned fish and meats along with vegetables. I try to make sure he a warm jacket for the winter along with other appropriate warm clothes.

LancairDriver - 8-26-2020 at 11:44 AM

:light:
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I see these posts where people are gifting to coco beer and womens panties. Y’all should give him a SPOT or garmin satellite emergency device. He doesnt need more beer and panties, he needs a help line.

It seems he can sell the beer as well as drink it. I suggested a while back that he could sell some of his panty collection as Covid masks during this epidemic, so he could probably use more of both. A satellite location aid would also be very helpful in his situation. I am going to upgrade from my vintage Spot unit so I will drop it off next time I’m down that way if he doesn’t have anything else by then.

Maderita - 8-26-2020 at 01:21 PM

There are some challenges as to how a SPOT or inReach device will work for him. It will requires subscription fees, and probably someone to manage the account and donate the ongoing fees. It must be kept charged and on his person and/or vehicle. Requires literacy to use text functions. Requires some tech savvy to figure out how to operate. Will need an operation manual in a language in which he is literate, or personal instruction. If just for dire emergencies and the SOS button, then just some basic instruction.

TMW - 8-26-2020 at 05:37 PM

You can use rechargeable batteries in Spot but I never have.I use Lithium batteries and they seem to last a long time. I'm not sure what Coco's ability is on typing a message. I'm also not familiar with the new Spot devices. My Spot sends the regular I'm OK with the GPS coordinates in an email. It also has a need help button and a SOS button. The InReach type devices have more features that allow typing messages but I'm not sure if that isn't making it more complicated for Coco.

David K - 8-26-2020 at 06:23 PM

The newer Spot devices have the email ability too, but it is far more difficult to use than the inReach email exchange. At least for the receiving end.

The problem with the original Spot is that all you can send is three pre-selected messages and no way to elaborate as to what you need.

The inReach (DeLorme, then Garmin) allows you to have two-way communication so you can describe what you need or just chat. It sends to email or phone text, anywhere in the world. It also allows your friends or family to see where you are and follow you (if you want) on a live (almost live) map of your location. I chatted with several Nomad friends and my wife during my 8 Baja research trips. TMW, StuckSucks, Baja Geoff, and BajaNomad could see where I was and send me messages. StuckSucks saw that I was on a dead-end road (by mistake) and let me know! LOL

When traveling solo, it is a relief to know you are not really alone when your family and friends are seeing your location and chatting with you.

David K - 8-31-2020 at 03:51 PM

Recently (Baja legend) Coco's truck transmission gave out causing him to crawl on his hands and stumps back about 1.5 miles to his house.

Luckily my wife and I happened by the next AM and helped him tow his truck back to his house before it got stripped and burned, which happens quickly to abandoned vehicles. He has no phone or other means of communication at his house. Knowing he needed a transmission, a group of us went to his place with a truck and car hauler. We checked out the truck and found numerous other problems present or waiting to happen. We had a mechanic in the group to help with the assessment and it was clear that this truck was beyond repair. Since the new road went through he has very little business.

In Coco's situation he needs a dependable vehicle not only for everyday supplies but for medical visits to Ensenada .
We are raising money to purchase Coco a better vehicle so he won't be left in that situation again.

Coco and all involved will be very appreciative if we can make this happen.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cocos-corner-vehicle?utm_source=f...

PaulW - 9-1-2020 at 07:15 AM

Doesn't Coco have mods to drive the truck? Seems a better solution is a new or rebuild trans. Probably many times less costly that a replacement truck?

David K - 9-1-2020 at 08:55 AM

Here is one Facebook reply on why fixing the tranny isn't enough:

"... it needs so much more than that. Tire on one side is cambered out about 10 degrees. Torsion bar is completely missing on one side so suspension is down on the bumps. Front axles are out on the ground. All tires are bald. That's in just a 5 min inspection."

PaulW - 9-1-2020 at 09:05 AM

yup, get a better truck and eat the cost of the handicap controls.
Sometimes the cheapest truck is not a good deal. I guess that is what he had?

AKgringo - 9-1-2020 at 09:33 AM

My brother was a paraplegic, and his hand controls were transferred easily to several different vehicles over the years. What ever truck Coco winds up with, it should be a tough, basic truck that requires a minimum of maintenance.

I can't see the need for four wheel drive to get to and from the city, and he shouldn't let others take his truck where he doesn't need to go. Good tires, good shocks, and alignment would be more important, and should last him for years!

David K - 9-1-2020 at 09:42 AM

I read that they will shop for a truck in Ensenada. 2WD, 4 or 6 cyl. The pickup bed only needs to serve Coco for a place to sleep when he goes to see his doctor in Ensenada and to transport a 55 gallon drum of water.

norte - 9-2-2020 at 06:01 PM

The RAM sure did not last long. Makes me wonder if any truck will.

thebajarunner - 9-2-2020 at 06:06 PM

He is no longer in a "remote" area.....
Paved highway is just minutes away
No way does he need 4 wheel drive!
Classic overkill for nearly everyone, and especially for him

And, as I recall, lending a vehicle a couple years ago ended in his pal having a fatal crash, and getting Coco all kinds of exposure, not to mention losing his vehicle.
He is pretty kind hearted, sometimes hard to say no....

TMW - 9-2-2020 at 06:55 PM

He needs to say no more often. He needs to learn who he can trust and who he can't.