BajaNomad

Car Rental VS Own Vehicle

alli - 8-26-2020 at 01:23 PM

Hola all. I am doing some preliminary research. I am trying to plan a trip to Baja. Dates are TBD. It would most likely for a month. I'm looking at both driving my own vehicle, an older subuaru, all wheel drive, not at all fancy. Or renting a car in San Jose del Cabo. Would probably go as far north as La Paz, including Todos Santos, Cabo Pulmo. I could also drive a large pick up.

I know that I will have to get insurance for Mexico. Any advice vs my car or rental? If this has already been covered I apologize!

Thanks for any insight.

David K - 8-26-2020 at 01:41 PM

Hmmm... you might be happier in your own car... Subarus are great in Baja! Bring an electric air pump for the tires... as all you need to do to drive across sand is to deflate the tires... Subarus are great in the sand!
You can buy your Mexican auto insurance online, print it out at home, for the days you are in Mexico. A 6-month or annual policy is probably cheaper than 30 days of coverage, and you won't stress about the insurance expiring before you leave! You can check the quotes online: www.bajabound.com is a sponsor of this site.

JZ - 8-26-2020 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alli  
Hola all. I am doing some preliminary research. I am trying to plan a trip to Baja. Dates are TBD. It would most likely for a month. I'm looking at both driving my own vehicle, an older subuaru, all wheel drive, not at all fancy. Or renting a car in San Jose del Cabo. Would probably go as far north as La Paz, including Todos Santos, Cabo Pulmo. I could also drive a large pick up.

I know that I will have to get insurance for Mexico. Any advice vs my car or rental? If this has already been covered I apologize!

Thanks for any insight.

You can rent Jeeps in Cabo. I've done it before. It was pretty reasonable and would think it would be the same now.

For the rental you get insurance right from the rental company.

For your own car, use bajabound.com. Their website is very good.

David K - 8-26-2020 at 01:49 PM

If you rent a Jeep, make sure it has a working four-wheel-drive. It has been posted (in the past) that the front driveshafts of rental Jeeps were removed to keep you turistas from off roading!!!

alli - 8-26-2020 at 01:54 PM

Thanks JZ and David. @David, yeah I get it. i live in Colorado and the same thing happens to tourist renting an SUV and thinking that aromatically means a 4X4.

Any though re: Subaru VS Tundra? The Subi has somewhat beefy tires, for the vehicle, the Tundra more so. The truck would allow us to bring more toys.

David K - 8-26-2020 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alli  
Thanks JZ and David. @David, yeah I get it. i live in Colorado and the same thing happens to tourist renting an SUV and thinking that aromatically means a 4X4.

Any though re: Subaru VS Tundra? The Subi has somewhat beefy tires, for the vehicle, the Tundra more so. The truck would allow us to bring more toys.

Indeed, your call!
I would guess the Subaru will give you over 30 mpg vs. half that for the Tundra?
A truck gives you cargo room!

I drive a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma now, but Subaru 4x4s were my choice back in the late 70s to 90s (I owned three). They lost me when the went to AWD (and no low range).

JZ - 8-26-2020 at 02:58 PM

Bring the Tundra for sure.

If you want advice on great off road trails around the area don't hesitate to ask. I have tracks I can upload for you. Baja Sur has amazing places to see on dirt roads.

Watch the video in my sig to see some.

Have you driven down Baja before?

AKgringo - 8-26-2020 at 03:34 PM

If this is your first trip, I recommend traveling light and seeing as much as possible, so I would take the Subaru! Like David, I had a long standing love affair with the old style, early eighty's with low range and huge tires!

If your intent is to go way off road with toys, the Tacoma would do you well, but I can almost guarantee that you will return home with stuff you didn't need!

I assume the Tacoma is valuable enough to carry full coverage, but an older Subaru with liability only could be far less costly. I drive old iron with liability only in the states, so I buy an annual drivers license policy that will cover me when I decide to cross southbound whenever I get the impulse!

You might want to checkout the coverage with Bajabound for a DL policy, which would also cover both of you for most other vehicles, not just yours.

[Edited on 8-27-2020 by AKgringo]

advrider - 8-26-2020 at 06:57 PM

Word of caution when dealing with Cabo rentals. When we rented at the airport they charged us more for the insurance then the car rental and we couldn't leave without said insurance! No other cars we're available at the other rental offices so we were stuck.
We videoed the car with the agent before we left the lot. When we went to return it they started saying we owed $50 per hubcap that were scratched and started pointing out other "damage", when we pulled out the video, they said have a nice day!

paranewbi - 8-27-2020 at 05:04 AM

Rental Story in Loreto

Rented car for a few hours to drive up to local mission (paid for full day). Returning the vehicle, the guy walks directly to the back of the car and points out cracked plastic panel under body (you had to bend down and look under the car to see what he is talking about). I pointed out to him the residue of Duct Tape that was left when someone removed the tape from some time ago.

He said 'Have and nice day' and walked away.

wilderone - 8-27-2020 at 08:08 AM

Are you camping? Hotels? What toys? What activities are on your list? I flew into Cabo and rented a car at Cactus Auto Rental - online reservation - reasonable (of course had insurance and was included). No hassle at the counter. It was a well used Camry, but always pulled me through the sand and mud and over the rocks. No problems. I was camping - had brought all my camping gear and an inflatable surf mat which I used time and time again (snorkeling, lolling at waterfalls, surf, sleeping). This was a 16 day trip only in the Cape area as far as La Paz - plenty to see and do. If you drive and are coming all the way from north borders, driving all the way to Cabo Pulmo, etc., that's a LOT of miles and a lot of beaches, sites to explore in between. Time might be better spent in the northern half OR southern half. I'd suggest fine-tuning and prioritizing your activity list, budget, mpg, day-to-day itinerary (more or less - will fall apart anyway). You might want 3-4 days in one place before moving on. Also, whale season is pretty special. A mule trip out of San Francisco would be memorable. Fishing at Rancho Leonero (poles provided - side trip to Cabo Pulmo can be arranged) a classic.

BajaMama - 8-27-2020 at 09:39 AM

To rent a car for a month will cost at least $2,000 - we rented a little SUV for just over a week in Loreto and it was about $750. Also flights into Cabo. But if you choose that route you will save on travel time - 3 days each way into La Paz from USA. If you like to drive it will just cost insurance (about $300 for 6 month full coverage policy, much cheaper if liability only) plus gas and hotels/motels. Significantly less expensive to drive (and more fun IMHO). So it really depends on your budget - if you have the $ and want more days in Southern BCS, fly and rent a car, if $ is on a budget, drive. Good luck!

lav_ocotillo - 8-30-2020 at 08:10 PM

thank you for this thread! i'm planning out a trip as well. is it totally unreasonable to not have 4wd or awd?

AKgringo - 8-31-2020 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lav_ocotillo  
thank you for this thread! i'm planning out a trip as well. is it totally unreasonable to not have 4wd or awd?

There a plenty of places to go, and things to do that you won't need a 4x4! I like to go to places less traveled, so it is my choice to drive one.

Even on the backroad adventures I have had in Baja, 4x4 is rarely used, it is more of an insurance policy to cover mistakes!

lav_ocotillo - 8-31-2020 at 01:39 PM

awesome, thank you :)

i think since it's my first time i'll stick to main roads unless invited elsewhere hehe.

4 X 4 is muy macho, but not needed

thebajarunner - 8-31-2020 at 04:08 PM

I raced in all the SCORE races for 12 years, plus a few other random events. Drove a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. Also did all of our pre-running in a 2 wheel drive pickup.
For the past 22 years have made an annual trek down to various places, always going off road for lots of great exploring
Only in my 2 wheel drive F150.
Drive with your brain, not with your foot, and you can pretty much go anywhere.
Sand was always my nemesis.
Only got stuck a few times, always in sandy spots, often in deep ruts that had filled with sand.
If you are concerned about getting stuck go to a steel shop and ask them to cut you a couple 4 foot long pieces of expanded metal.
They lay down flat in your rig and are great for getting unstuck.

JC43 - 9-5-2020 at 06:30 PM

I donno what the real problem is. Driving your own car means loosing at least a week from the US to CSL - back and forth. Monywise pretty much the same. Flying against gas mony. And stying on main roads does mean you don`t need to go to a steel shop.
So where is the issue?

Alm - 9-6-2020 at 10:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
I donno what the real problem is. Driving your own car means loosing at least a week from the US to CSL - back and forth. Monywise pretty much the same. Flying against gas mony. And stying on main roads does mean you don`t need to go to a steel shop.

Puzzles me too. For one person the cost of gas, hotels and meals on the road is about the same as the flight to CSL if not more. Should consider (at least) one week of his life wasted on the road VS car rental cost. If staying on main roads like he said, any car will do, whatever you can get for less.

JZ - 9-6-2020 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

This not really true.

And you can't expect ppl like the op to have close to your knowledge of how to do it, even if it was true.

That said, 2 wheel drive is fine for a lot of Baja. But don't go very far off the beat path.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by JZ]

JZ - 9-6-2020 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Should consider (at least) one week of his life wasted on the road...

Rice, beans, and rocks in BoLA stores strikes again.

"The journey is the destination."

Alm - 9-7-2020 at 04:08 PM

Why people don't read posts before responding, puzzles me.The OP specified a destination - Cabo and "as far North as La Paz, including Todos Santos and Cabo Pulmo".

Of those destined for Cabo and area, the majority are flying there. Fast, comfortable, more days left for enjoying what they came for. Very few are coming there to enjoy a several days drive, but I would imagine such types existing too :)

You infer that I may not speak the truth???

thebajarunner - 9-7-2020 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This not really true.

And you can't expect ppl like the op to have close to your knowledge of how to do it, even if it was true.

That said, 2 wheel drive is fine for a lot of Baja. But don't go very far off the beat path.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by JZ]

"Even if it was (sic) true"
Well, my record speaks for itself
I am listed on a dozen NORRA, BSC, and SCORE finishing results (BRA also)
And, yes, the cult of 4 x 4 is certainly pervasive
and vastly over rated.
A bit of sense and you can go virtually anywhere in Baja in 2 wheel drive.
No, you can't rock climb, nor run the Pole Line Road
But who cares. All of Baja awaits the prudent off road driver.

Maderita - 9-7-2020 at 08:17 PM

I raced in all the SCORE races for 12 years, plus a few other random events. Drove a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. Also did all of our pre-running in a 2 wheel drive pickup...
...Only in my 2 wheel drive F150...

That's a great sandbag, jajaja. You left out the part about having a rear locking differential. You must certainly have a locking diff (or a spool)? So as not to confuse the masses, a rear locker is more than 100% better than a conventional open diff. In some conditions, having a rear locker in 2WD will surpass the ability of 4WD with open diffs. A stock pickup with an open differential and OEM tires is likely to get stuck at the first sandy arroyo.
My selectable locking diff gets used frequently. Rarely do I shift into 4WD. For the most part, I tend to think of 4WD as my "insurance policy" to get unstuck.

JZ - 9-7-2020 at 09:26 PM

"Even if it was (sic) true"
Well, my record speaks for itself
I am listed on a dozen NORRA, BSC, and SCORE finishing results (BRA also)
And, yes, the cult of 4 x 4 is certainly pervasive
and vastly over rated.
A bit of sense and you can go virtually anywhere in Baja in 2 wheel drive.
No, you can't rock climb, nor run the Pole Line Road
But who cares. All of Baja awaits the prudent off road driver.

Because someone is a great swimmer and knows the ocean very well doesn't mean it's a good idea for them to tell others to swim in the ocean w/o a life jacket.

You are partially correct

thebajarunner - 9-8-2020 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

I raced in all the SCORE races for 12 years, plus a few other random events. Drove a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. Also did all of our pre-running in a 2 wheel drive pickup...
...Only in my 2 wheel drive F150...

That's a great sandbag, jajaja. You left out the part about having a rear locking differential. You must certainly have a locking diff (or a spool)? So as not to confuse the masses, a rear locker is more than 100% better than a conventional open diff. In some conditions, having a rear locker in 2WD will surpass the ability of 4WD with open diffs. A stock pickup with an open differential and OEM tires is likely to get stuck at the first sandy arroyo.
My selectable locking diff gets used frequently. Rarely do I shift into 4WD. For the most part, I tend to think of 4WD as my "insurance policy" to get unstuck.

Not a "sandbag"
We did indeed use a partially locked rear end gear in the race truck.
We were afraid of breaking axles with a true locker so our Ford tech guy showed us how to add an extra spacer into the clutch pack. We pressed it and wrapped up the rear end gear. On pavement, making tight turns the inside wheel would "chirp" but under heavy stress on an uneven road it would not be as likely to break an axle.

Never have used a locker in a pre-runner
My ancient F150 which has made 22 annual treks deep into backcountry Baja does not have a locker.
Thus, 90+% of my Baja driving has been 2 wheel, non-locked rear end.

Alm - 9-8-2020 at 10:07 AM

To answer they OP question - and Ocotillo's as well - you don't need an awd or 4wd if you don't go off the road. Any car will do, a beaten up rental compact is fine.

It is "possible" to get stuck in 2WD in a village if you don't watch where you're going, but then, in a village there are always people around, they will pull you out. Carry a towing chain and be prepared that they could refuse to take money - a notorious Mexican "orgullo", though they usually take. Don't know whether this has been mentioned in this thread - don't drive at night, too many reasons.

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2020 at 10:40 AM

My ancient F150 which has made 22 annual treks deep into backcountry Baja does not have a locker.

the new f-150s have open differential with optional e-lockers

i think older f-150s had limited slip differentials, eh?

Locked Up on the Pavement

MrBillM - 9-8-2020 at 12:23 PM

Years back, I was looking for a second Suzuki Samurai to trade back and forth with an existing one in Baja.

A business out on the highway here had one in great shape "for sale" at a good price displayed for awhile before I stopped to check it out.

Before we went for a test drive, the business owner told me that previous would-be buyers had been turned-off by the (full-time) locking rear-end that he'd installed years back.

"Just be really careful about your speed when turning left. It can get pretty Squirrely."

And, it was scary.

I never let anyone else drive it and years later, I gave the same advice to the Mexican I sold it to in San Felipe.

Hope he followed it.

thebajarunner - 9-8-2020 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

the new f-150s have open differential with optional e-lockers

i think older f-150s had limited slip differentials, eh?

My 1999 F150, a veteran of many Baja wars, definitely does not have limited slip. I get stuck every couple years here in Central Cal. I am a real estate developer and too often I venture out on a rainy winter day to check progress of subdivision work, without wanting to get wet. And, even on the level that old sucker just sits and spins.
Been stuck more times on level ground in Stanislaus County than in all my years in Baja. (Which maybe indicates a lack of caution and good sense here at home... on familiar ground)

David K - 9-8-2020 at 05:05 PM

Maybe Baja Vida can loan you his Range Rover? (I am just kidding)!

thebajarunner - 9-8-2020 at 08:13 PM

BV drives a pussy RAV
Not a macho machine for sure

David K - 9-8-2020 at 09:19 PM

LOL, oh you are in so much trouble when I tell him!

CasaMaximus - 9-17-2020 at 01:56 PM

Renting a car in BCS is expensive mostly because of insurance costs. You can buy a nice US plated car privately for far less than you can rent.

CasaMaximus - 9-21-2020 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
To rent a car for a month will cost at least $2,000 - we rented a little SUV for just over a week in Loreto and it was about $750. Also flights into Cabo. But if you choose that route you will save on ok travel time - 3 days each way into La Paz from USA. If you like to drive it will just cost insurance (about $300 for 6 month full coverage policy, much cheaper if liability only) plus gas and hotels/motels. Significantly less expensive to drive (and more fun IMHO). So it really depends on your budget - if you have the $ and want more days in Southern BCS, fly and rent a car, if $ is on a budget, drive. Good luck!

A 4x4 or awd rental will run you at least $100 per day in BCS so don't fall for the low price leaders the up charges kill you. Full coverage (walk away deductibles) are a bit more.

I opted to buy a truck to bring down but the pandemic has it sitting here in the North. It is a 1991 F250 4x4 with a 460 and 79k original miles. It was roached being from a beach town in Oregon. Nothing serious, just all old stock and a surface rust / crusty patina. It was perfect. I spent $3k on the truck and $7k doing all the nessecary mods to make it ready, completely gone through everything.

Yes, it gets 12 mpg but my house is 48 miles from the airport and my village is 3 miles wide and 4 miles tall. $300k in coverage costs $220 a year and includes a plane ride home if needed. In all it costs me less to own than a years rental.

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by CasaMaximus]