BajaNomad

Tourist tax funds for perm residents and Mexicans

BajaBlanca - 8-28-2020 at 05:36 AM

I was reading the O'Grady blog and came upon this! We have left mucho dinero on the table ourselves because I had no idea one could request a refund.

Now that we are all flying so much, I thought it was important :lol:

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/04/how-to-request-mexic...

pacificobob - 8-28-2020 at 08:39 AM

thanks Blanca...good link. like you, we have left money on the table. i wonder what percentage of us forum users are permanent residents or citizens?

karenintx - 8-28-2020 at 11:43 AM

Before everyone gets too excited, this article is from April 2017. A lot has happened since then...Corvid 19 has left airline strapped for money.

That being said,one should google the topic...
"Passengers Sue Airlines For Mexican Tax Refund.

I'm not saying the airlines are right in keeping the money, just saying it is hard to get the refund now. A few years ago is was very easy to get the refund.

Good luck to anyone that tries and hopefully they can post an update.

BajaBlanca - 8-28-2020 at 05:26 PM

Ahaaaaa Thanks for the update.

pacificobob - 8-30-2020 at 08:15 AM

i suppose the question regarding how many forum users are residents has been answered by the number of comments to this post.
upper California weekend warriors?

Facts on the refund

Howard - 8-30-2020 at 10:17 AM

As a Residente Permanente and frequent flyer on Alaska Airlines from LAX - LTO I can speak in certainties.

Flying from LAX-LTO, not from LTO-LAX there is a built in tourist tax on the fare that a RP can get refunded. The amount depends on the fluxuation of the peso but usually is around $25. The refund is credited to your method of payment. This applies to either a round trip or one way ticket.

Once you get to LAX go to Alaska Customer service desk which is located at the far end of the departing terminal. Show you RP card and boarding pass and they fill out a refund form and in approx. 2-4 weeks a credit show up on your credit card. The last time I flew the person a the check in counter was familiar with the form and process and they filled it out right there but it is rare that the ticket person is knowledgeable on the procedure. If you forget to do this and attempt it in Loreto, they will look at you like a deer in the headlights.

It's easy peasey. Admittedly the last time I did this was early this year pre Covid but its not the airlines decision whatever their financial situation is has nothing to do with the refund.

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2020 at 12:01 PM

Thanks Howard. I just wish we had known, left too much to the gvt. that could have been used for an extra special dinner somewhere!

elskel - 8-30-2020 at 06:10 PM

I have been refunded on Southwest, Alaska and American for years. If you do not do it at airport, you can do online. You have to send documentation. Very easy.

gnukid - 8-30-2020 at 06:21 PM

Any ticket counter agent for the airline that you purchased a ticket from can help, ask for "Voluntary Refund Form" for tourist tax for residents, either at check in or at departure gate. All that is needed is ticket number, your residency card and contact info.

pacificobob - 8-31-2020 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Thanks Howard. I just wish we had known, left too much to the gvt. that could have been used for an extra special dinner somewhere!

X2

karenintx - 8-31-2020 at 09:16 AM

This is great to hear others say they have received refunds.

Could y'all give dates for your most refund. Several of our friends have reported that in the last year Southwest, American and United airlines are making it very hard to get refunds now...if not impossible.

Yes, these folks know how to request their refunds through the proper channels as they have been getting refunds for many years so the only thing that has changed is certain airlines are not as "refund friendly" as they were in years past.

I personally do not have a dog in the hunt, just reporting what some of our R/P & T/P friends are saying about some of the "current" roadblocks they are experiencing.

I would like to be able to tell our friends the dates of refunds if anyone could provide this information.