BajaNomad

Freedom - Not Free

CaboMagic - 9-10-2020 at 07:04 PM

Copied this from a friends FB .. On this night...19 years ago, 246 people went to sleep in preparation for their morning flights. 2,606 people went to sleep in preparation for work in the morning tomorrow. 343 firefighters went to sleep in preparation for their morning shift. 60 police officers went to sleep in preparation for morning patrol. 8 paramedics went to sleep in preparation for the morning shift of saving lives. None of them saw past 10:00 am Sept 11, 2001. In one single moment life may never be the same. As you live and enjoy the breaths you take today and tonight before you go to sleep in preparation for your life tomorrow, remember that we promised to never forget

9 11 photo.jpg - 95kB

Inspiring rememberance

John M - 9-10-2020 at 07:29 PM

Thanks Cabo Magic

John & Barbara M

AKgringo - 9-10-2020 at 08:01 PM

Everybody will remember forever where they were when the towers came down!

BajaParrothead - 9-10-2020 at 09:11 PM

Thanks for sharing Lori!

chuckie - 9-11-2020 at 01:08 AM

I was on a plane headed for London....

SFandH - 9-11-2020 at 07:33 AM

Didn't Osama bin Laden say the main reason for the attack was the United States military base in the Islamic Holy Land, Saudi Arabia?

The men flying the airplanes were Saudis.

Don't forget that.

[Edited on 9-11-2020 by SFandH]

Alan - 9-11-2020 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Didn't Osama bin Laden say the main reason for the attack was the United States military base in the Islamic Holy Land, Saudi Arabia?
Does anybody really give a rat's ass what he had to say?

In remembrance of the 343 brothers I lost that day.

So many promised you that they would "Never Forget". They lied. Yet rest easy knowing that your brothers have never forgotten you for even the briefest moment and we never will.

Never Forget !

MrBillM - 9-11-2020 at 07:57 AM

911 !

And ........................

Remember the Maine !

The Lusitania !

Pearl Harbor !

Little Big Horn ?

Otras ?

John Harper - 9-11-2020 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
911 !

And ........................

Remember the Maine !

The Lusitania !

Pearl Harbor !

Little Big Horn ?

Otras?

Remember the Alamo!

John

BajaBlanca - 9-12-2020 at 01:07 AM

Never forget.

TMW - 9-12-2020 at 11:48 PM

To never forget a world event it usually has to happen when you are alive and see it, either in person or on TV or hear it on radio. There are not many who can tell you who was at the Alamo, or who were the biggest names at the Alamo, or much about the Little Big Horn (how was Custer killed), Where was the Maine at? When was the Lusitania sank?

There have been two events in my life that I can tell you exactly where I was and how I heard it. The killing of JFK and 9-11. The rest of the stuff quoted above I know from history books and school.

SFandH - 9-13-2020 at 06:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

There have been two events in my life that I can tell you exactly where I was and how I heard it. The killing of JFK and 9-11.

Me too. I have vivid memories of both tragedies.

LancairDriver - 9-13-2020 at 07:36 AM

Never forget......The failures of existing US government agency’s charged with protecting the American people and preventing this kind of terrorist act. All had multi million dollar budgets.

CIA - Disastrous intelligence failure by an agency with the largest budget of all.

FBI - Ignored repeated warnings from US Civilian flight instructors about middle eastern students with no interest in learning how to land an airplane.

INS- Issued visas to hijackers months after 9-11, and no idea who they were allowing into the US or where they were after entering.

Ignoring early warnings from Philippine law enforcement on their uncovering of plan to hijack multiple airliners well in advance of attack.

Airlines and their pilots were never made aware of any of this and could have taken their own precautions.

None of these agency’s or their leaders were ever called out about their failures. Instead, of cleaning up existing agency’s, another massive agency was created...The Homeland security agency.

Yes I know. We have never had another attack such as this since 9-11.
Also had never had a similar attack before 9-11 since Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 caused by many of the same failures.

Something to think about.

John Harper - 9-13-2020 at 08:26 AM

Yes, we frittered away $6 trillion after 3000 citizens died and we pursued the wrong policies in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Regime change and "nation building" instead of retaliation against the real perpetrators (Saudi Arabians and Wahhabis). Mission creep at it's worst.

210,000 dead in 6 months and Congress won't pass further stimulus legislation to help millions of Americans (and an economy) in need. But, a $2 trillion tax cut was passed just a couple years ago. We are certainly a shining example of a "Christian" nation. Complete and total hypocrisy.

John

Mulege Canuck - 9-13-2020 at 08:46 AM

I was working in a remote tent camp on Princess Royal Island when 911 occurred. We had no idea it had happened for a week. We saw a squadron of large Military planes do low level flight over our location and got curious. We called out on the single side band radio for a weekly radio check and were informed about situation. I will never forget that.

defrag4 - 9-13-2020 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Yes, we frittered away $6 trillion after 3000 citizens died and we pursued the wrong policies in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Regime change and "nation building" instead of retaliation against the real perpetrators (Saudi Arabians and Wahhabis). Mission creep at it's worst.

210,000 dead in 6 months and Congress won't pass further stimulus legislation to help millions of Americans (and an economy) in need. But, a $2 trillion tax cut was passed just a couple years ago. We are certainly a shining example of a "Christian" nation. Complete and total hypocrisy.

John

yessiree

sancho - 9-14-2020 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

X2
Thanks for posting the nasty truth, it's painful to admit.
Hopefully this nightmare comes to an end

Hopefully this nightmare won't get worse.

cactuspete1970 - 9-14-2020 at 03:08 PM

[Edited on 9-14-2020 by cactuspete1970]

LancairDriver - 9-14-2020 at 05:22 PM

No, freedom is not free.
$5,180,031,155,281 Cost of US wars since 2001 and rising.(That’s 5 trillion plus. For every one trillion of debt printed the average US family of four share of the cost is $55,000) Obviously unsustainable.

US Military killed in Iraq in war and occupation so far. 4,801 Not counting disabled.
Number of Iraqis killed in war and US occupation. 1,455,590+
Number of International occupation forces in Afghanistan. 3,487+
Corona Virus deaths in US. 210,000 rising.

Are we getting our moneys worth?

SFandH - 9-14-2020 at 06:01 PM

Don't forget the 1.7 trillion being spent building 400 new nuclear-tipped ICBMs, 12 new ballistic nuclear missile submarines, 1,000 nuclear-tipped air launched cruise missiles, and a new strategic nuclear bomber to replace the B-52 - B-2 bombers.

Additionally there's the cost of maintaining the current nuclear triad including the approx 1,800 nuclear warheads.

Gotta have those nukes! Gotta have wars!

The military-industrial complex is perfectly happy with this century so far.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/USNuclearModernizatio...

[Edited on 9-15-2020 by SFandH]

LancairDriver - 9-14-2020 at 06:51 PM

Don't forget the 1.7 trillion being spent building 400 new nuclear-tipped ICBMs, 12 new ballistic nuclear missile submarines, 1,000 nuclear-tipped air launched cruise missiles, and a new strategic nuclear bomber to replace the B-52 - B-2 bombers.

Additionally there's the cost of maintaining the approx 1,800 nuclear warheads.

Gotta have those nukes! Gotta have wars!

The military-industrial complex is perfectly happy with this century so far.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/USNuclearModernizatio...

[Edited on 9-15-2020 by SFandH]

Good point. And with all that shiny new hardware coming up, we now have a new threat in the latest acknowledgement that the UFO’s are real and of course they are probably hostile, the proof being evident by UFO’s jamming our Navy F18’s radars, so our new US Space Force will need the toys to deal with that looming threat.It will be quite a tussle among the various military branches as usual to see who gets the biggest slice of the pie. Fighting relatively defenseless third world countries with grunts doesn’t require the really expensive hardware that pumps up the MOC.

TMW - 9-14-2020 at 07:00 PM

I find it ironic that they keep trying to build a new super dooper bomber to replace the B-52 and yet it's still around plugging along for the last 60+ years.

John Harper - 9-14-2020 at 07:07 PM

I find it ironic that they keep trying to build a new super dooper bomber to replace the B-52 and yet it's still around plugging along for the last 60+ years.

Did you notice the engine nacelles on the US bomber that was recently intercepted by the Russian fighter? Clearly a B-52. Probably one of the most remarkable aircraft ever built. Still in service after all these years. Wish we could all say the same.

As they say, we always prepare for the last war, not the future war. It appears our reign as an empire is fading.

John

[Edited on 9-15-2020 by John Harper]

SFandH - 9-14-2020 at 07:13 PM

The huge contracts going to defense prime contractors and their sub-contractors form a big part of the "need" for new weapons. It's quite a racket, IMO.

John Harper - 9-14-2020 at 07:19 PM

The huge contracts going to defense prime contractors and their sub-contractors form a big part of the "need" for new weapons. It's quite a racket, IMO.

Yes, not much profit in fatigues, boots, rifles, and ammunition. The shiny objects get all the attention.

John

motoged - 9-14-2020 at 09:37 PM

Hmmmmm....am I seeing sprouts of Trumps's new anti military industrial complex rant surfacing here? It seems that the Hoorah for US military exploits is a favourite topic for self-proclaimed "patriots"...claiming the might of the USA (which John previously and accurately described as withering away) and its military.

Are these "patriots" now acknowledging the failure of their govt's ability to protect its citizenry ?

How will you remember the day you acknowledged that Covid 19 isn't a liberal hoax?

Oh....and good luck doing battle with the aliens....if they were hostile, we would all be dust.

Thinking you have a chance with that battle front is just more John Wayne crap.

TMW - 9-14-2020 at 09:40 PM

I think some of the designs lack common sense. When I was discharged from the navy I work for Lockheed on the C5A. I was a flight line electrician. The main landing gear when in the air rotated inward then retracted upward. I always thought it would have been better to just to just retract it upward and forget the rotation. That way in an emergency it would be easier to extend the gear for landing. They would have to redesign the area for the wheel wells but that should have been in the original design.

TMW - 9-14-2020 at 09:51 PM

It's part of the Military-Industrial Complex that Ike warned us about. Congressmen and women in areas of military bases and production plants are afraid to speak out against the contracts mainly because it means jobs and good paying jobs, thousand and thousand of jobs. Just closing a base takes years and makes good sense. Example: why do we need Naval Air Facility El Centro? Why do we need China Lake Naval Weapon Center? Can't they be at Edwards Air Force Base as a joint base like Andrews.