BajaNomad

Have you ever seen a skunk near Campestre Maranatha?

AKgringo - 11-7-2020 at 07:30 PM

I haven't but my dog just had a close encounter here, and the evidence is overwhelming! She has been alerting to something the last few nights, but it was a surprise when she rushed into a bush here and caused a biological attack!

Either the skunk was low on ammo, or did not get a good shot at her, because I have dealt with much worse in CA. I have bathed her many times, but this was a first in a shower stall, and she hated it!

She is ninety plus pounds, strong, and slippery as hell when lathered up. At least I can now say we showered together!

I really won't know until tomorrow if I got the stink off of us, because the stinky bush is right upwind and close to the cabin I am in.

Edit; Sorry about the premature post Lee, somehow I got the subject question posted before I wrote the text!

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by AKgringo]

Lee - 11-7-2020 at 07:39 PM

Never seen or smelled one. Stay there couple times a year. Office would know.

Spanish word for skunk?

AKgringo - 11-7-2020 at 08:06 PM

I have found zorrillo, zorrinno, and mofeta. What is it called in Baja?

mtgoat666 - 11-7-2020 at 08:07 PM

Skunk!

Our dogs always tussle with skunks at the most inconvenient time...

pacificobob - 11-8-2020 at 06:26 AM

I have heard "zorrillo" used here.

C205Driver - 11-8-2020 at 07:11 AM

Maybe dog found some “skunk weed”?

boe4fun - 11-8-2020 at 09:12 AM

Bath with Tomato juice is supposed to help.

AKgringo - 11-8-2020 at 09:24 AM

The reason I asked if someone has seen a skunk here, is because it was dark, and I did not see it! Last February when I got here, some other campers told me they encountered one right where I am now, but I never saw one then either.

I don't know what else could create the situation my dog and I had last night, but it must have been 'skunk light', because the shower did the trick for the dog, and even the odor from the bushes is almost gone now.

The road kill skunks in Nevada County leave a stench for a long time!

JZ - 11-8-2020 at 09:51 AM

My dog got sprayed right in the face last month. It was almost midnight. What a mess.

AKgringo - 11-8-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
My dog got sprayed right in the face last month. It was almost midnight. What a mess.

That hairy critter would be a tough one to scrub! At least mine has an ultra short, sleek coat of hair.

defrag4 - 11-8-2020 at 11:04 AM

ive seen them around a few times in Baja, not particularly in the campground but they are out there!

nandopedal - 11-8-2020 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

ZORRILLO

JZ - 11-8-2020 at 12:01 PM

That hairy critter would be a tough one to scrub! At least mine has an ultra short, sleek coat of hair.

That night I washed just his head, neck, face, and front legs. Used a quart of peroxide, cup of baking soda, and a tea spoon of dish soap. It made a huge difference.

Had him sleep outside thar night, his first time ever. Took him to a groomer who does de-skrunking baths.

It happened 4-5;weeks ago and I can still smell it a little on his face.

AKgringo - 11-8-2020 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nandopedal  

ZORRILLO

Thanks to all for the replies! as a side note, I found that a fox is called 'el zorro'.

surabi - 11-8-2020 at 02:32 PM

The reason I asked if someone has seen a skunk here, is because it was dark, and I did not see it! Last February when I got here, some other campers told me they encountered one right where I am now, but I never saw one then either.

I don't know what else could create the situation my dog and I had last night, but it must have been 'skunk light', because the shower did the trick for the dog, and even the odor from the bushes is almost gone now.

The road kill skunks in Nevada County leave a stench for a long time!

I don't know what type of skunk are in that area, but Mexican skunks are usually what are called Western spotted skunks or civet cats. They definitely smell like skunk, but the smell is much less pungent and dissipates more quickly. I suspect this is what tagged your dog.

They are a lot smaller than NOB skunks and are in fact quite pretty. They are nocturnal. There were a couple who used to hang out at my place on the mainland, scampering up to grab a piece of dog kibble out of the dog bowl in the evenings. I'd sit at my terrace table and watch them and listen to them chattering away at each other behind the potted plant where they hid away. Neither my dog nor cat paid them any attention (I suspect they both had gotten sprayed at some point and knew enough to leave them alone). And they only sprayed once, when one managed to run into the house and I surprised it in the bathroom.

https://www.bear-tracker.com/spskunk.html#:~:text=The%20spot...

TMW - 11-8-2020 at 03:39 PM

In yesterday's paper Heloise wrote on how to wash a dog that had been sprayed by a skunk.

Surabi, I think you nailed it!

AKgringo - 11-8-2020 at 03:47 PM

Thanks for the link! The bush is actually a mix or a bush and some sort of tall grass. It separates a date palm and a rock pile left over from wall building. I was wondering how a handful of date pits wound up piled on one of the flat rocks?

Since I have been here, my dog has shown intense interest in the tree, and the rock pile. I thought she was looking for lizards, she is quite the lizard hound out on my property in CA!

A couple of times I have heard a screech in the night that had me wondering what kind of bird it was.

I just went out and looked for tracks, and found some (not too clear) that appear to match what the link you posted showed me.

The time frame and space limitations would have prevented the skunk from going into a hand stand, which probably save my dog from a lot of the spray.

It also appears that my dog was discouraged from an actual attack on the critter. I think I will make a point to check out the area with a flashlight and see if the eyes shine back at me. The dog will be indoors!

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by AKgringo]

KasloKid - 11-8-2020 at 06:06 PM

It's been years since my dog was sprayed, but my vet told me to bath the dog using a vaginal ******... (here come the jokes!)
Hmmm, the description was auto edited. It sounds like pooosh but with a D.
Laugh as you may, but it worked. I used a lot more than the recommended amount in the link:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/remove-skunk-smell-puppies-spr...

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by KasloKid]

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by KasloKid]

AKgringo - 11-8-2020 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That night I washed just his head, neck, face, and front legs. Used a quart of peroxide, cup of baking soda, and a tea spoon of dish soap.

In an unrelated doggie dilemma, my dog appeared to have some mites causing bumps on her head. I had treated her for mites before when she was much younger, but that expensive medicine was long gone.

I found a remedy online, a mix of hydrogen peroxide and borax was supposed to do the trick. I didn't have any borax, but I had a full bottle of peroxide. After about the third application, I noticed that her dark brown, almost black scalp was getting a surfer dog look!

The dark hairs are starting to fill back in now, but the top of her head is about four shades lighter than her face, due to the peroxide.

Monday morning update.....

AKgringo - 11-9-2020 at 08:35 AM

I talked to the regular staff this morning, and the office staff confirmed that skunks occasionally forage around the camp.

The grounds keeper however, thinks that my dog found a fox! I did some checking online, and found that the gray fox does indeed have potent musk glands, and would likely be feeding on the dates littering the ground. They also are known to climb trees!

I think he may be right, because as strong as the stink was, it fell short of what I have known from other skunk encounters.

It could be either, I wish I could have seen the critter!

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by AKgringo]

JZ - 11-9-2020 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In yesterday's paper Heloise wrote on how to wash a dog that had been sprayed by a skunk.

That's what I did.

AKgringo - 11-10-2020 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
The grounds keeper however, thinks that my dog found a fox!

Woah, do foxes spray when threatened? :?:

BTW, did you ever see the "Zorro" movies?

Like a fox he was, and it sounds like you've missed that detail all these years...? :no:

Another translation I missed as a Lone Ranger fan, was for his sidekick "Tonto". The definition I found is; not smart....stupid, dumb, silly. That sure didn't match the character, and would probably not fly these days!

[Edited on 11-10-2020 by AKgringo]