BajaNomad

Lunch spot South of San Felipe

nbentley1 - 11-12-2020 at 03:31 PM

Is see on FB that Chelo's is closed currently. Any other lunch spots open on Mex 5 between San Felipe and Puertecitos? Thanks

Tioloco - 11-12-2020 at 03:36 PM

The restaurant just a short distance south of Chelo's looked open a couple of weeks ago. Has outdoor dining and a bar as well. Cant think of the name.

ehall - 11-12-2020 at 04:01 PM

Is cowpatty open yet?

Tioloco - 11-12-2020 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Is cowpatty open yet?

I went by a few times in October and it was closed each time. Good stop for a hot dog and a cold drink when its open.

David K - 11-12-2020 at 04:15 PM

Next to Chelos is Anticeto's and there are one or two other places in the town of Delicias.

David K - 11-12-2020 at 04:17 PM

Is cowpatty open yet?

I think she only serves hot dogs?
Km. 73.

nbentley1 - 11-12-2020 at 04:20 PM

Thanks all, seems like I should have some options.

PaulW - 11-12-2020 at 05:36 PM

Further south La Poma (just north of Bufeo) had a late breakfast there last spring. We were unannounced and the owner made us a good meal.
Can't find the KM, but they have a new sign on the highway.
Drive from SF was not very long.

David K - 11-12-2020 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Further south La Poma (just north of Bufeo) had a late breakfast there last spring. We were unannounced and the owner made us a good meal.
Can't find the KM, but they have a new sign on the highway.
Drive from SF was not very long.

Km. 133.5 La Poma (1 mile east).

Feel free to consult the Baja Nomad Kilometer Marker list: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81948

PaulW - 11-12-2020 at 05:46 PM

Thanks

Don Pisto - 11-12-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Is cowpatty open yet?

I think she only serves hot dogs?
Km. 73.

good luck catching Memo in a good mood these days...you gotta really want a hot dog!

WestyWanderer - 11-12-2020 at 06:29 PM

Cowpatty is closed Monday and Tuesday. Just south of Puertecitos is Christina’s restaurant at KM83, she is open Saturday and Sunday for breakfast lunch and dinner and it is excellent. Word is that Clara has opened her restaurant in Puertecitos again, we’ll see how long that lasts. I have eaten at Antecito’s and it was also very good, not sure on the hours there though.

WestyWanderer - 11-12-2020 at 06:32 PM

Do they serve food at Percebu, never been out there but have heard a lot about their drinks!

David K - 11-12-2020 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Do they serve food at Percebu, never been out there but have heard a lot about their drinks!

Years ago, when we were camping on Shell Island, my kids would walk over to Percebu for tacos... across the empty lagoon and a mile north, but it was worth it to them!

aburruss - 11-12-2020 at 07:09 PM

They DO serve food at Percebu. I think they have some amazing ceviche, but also a regular kitchen... When we were there last month, on a Saturday evening, they were closed. The beach was packed, and I'd have assumed that the bar and restaurant would have been making some $$... but alas, they were closed. Unsure what their hours are....

mjs - 11-12-2020 at 07:13 PM

Cowpatty is closed and rumor is that it will not reopen until Richard the owner returns. Date unknown.

Chelo's is also closed and no plans that I have heard of to reopen.

Anticeto's is open and food is good as always.

Cabana Vieja, New restaurant on the beach at K41 (approximately) by Fedra that is also good.

[Edited on 11-13-2020 by mjs]

aburruss - 11-12-2020 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Company is closed and rumor is that it will not reopen until Richard the owner returns. Date unknown.

Thanks for this (unfortunate) info! Do we know where Richard is, and why he's not returned? :)

WestyWanderer - 11-13-2020 at 07:54 AM

I head down to Puertecitos on Sunday, I will get the latest scoop and report back.

ReTire - 12-25-2020 at 07:20 PM

So what is the story on Cowpattys? I stopped there in 2019 and found it to be a nice place to grab a cold barley pop and let the dog run around.
Lots of friendly ex-pats there. I don’t think there was any food at all. Recall having to take a short drive to the other side of the highway to get some.

WestyWanderer - 12-25-2020 at 08:03 PM

Cow patty was open about a month ago when we were down there but with the current surge in the virus I’m not sure if it is still open

mtgoat666 - 12-25-2020 at 08:12 PM

Probably best to pack a lunch.

Road food Tip: Bimbo bread makes great bacon sandwiches.

Bimbo bread
Crispy Bacon
Ketchup
That’s all!

AKgringo - 12-25-2020 at 08:24 PM

Cowpatty's was closed when I passed through there before Thanksgiving, but that could have been on a Tuesday when a previous poster says they are normally closed.

There was a sign out on the highway not too far north of there directing me to a restaurant to the east of the highway. I don't remember the name of the camp, but the food was good. I think they make their own fresh tortillas.

WestyWanderer - 12-25-2020 at 09:27 PM

Cowpatty opened for the season the week before thanksgiving but there have been a few recent cases of the virus in Puertecitos so I’m not sure if he kept it open or not.

mscowpatty - 12-26-2020 at 07:17 PM

Cowpatty is open. Closed on Monday and Tuesday. Covid protocols are in place. The annual end of year party will not be held due to Covid concerns.

You can message Cowpatty directly...

https://www.facebook.com/CowpattyBaja/

mscowpatty - 12-26-2020 at 07:20 PM

Cowpatty reopened in November. Closed Mon and Tues. Hotdogs are being sold. Saturdays Tacos .....

You can message/follow Cowpatty....

https://www.facebook.com/CowpattyBaja/