BajaNomad

Road blocked between La Paz and Constitucion

brucedog - 11-17-2020 at 08:03 AM

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/empieza-el-desquicio-carretera-la...

Any real time reports about this? We are heading that way on Thursday

AKgringo - 11-17-2020 at 08:43 AM

I'm headed through there myself on Thursday, headed north! I haven't heard anything here in La Paz, and I'm not sure where to ask for an update.

Am I going to have to take dirt roads to get around the blockade? Ok, I'll do it!

Brucedog, what are you driving? The route over the grade to San Evaristo is a spectacular drive, but only for a fairly rugged vehicle, and I wouldn't tow anything.

I think if the blockade is still in place (my bet is no) I think I will explore some dirt roads on the west coast.

brucedog - 11-17-2020 at 08:48 AM

We are in a 4wd Sprinter loaded with gear Not the best off road vehicle but I have big tires and a compressor. We may leave San Diego tomorrow so would be there Wednesday and I will post anything I find out

AKgringo - 11-17-2020 at 09:01 AM

Your sprinter would be alright, if the road has not been seriously damaged since when I drove it in late January. I drove it in an Isuzu Trooper with slightly oversize tires, and did not need to use four wheel drive.

There was only about ten miles of challenging conditions on the east slope headed down to the sea of Cortez. It is a long, slow drive though, not for someone with a schedule!

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by AKgringo]

JZ - 11-17-2020 at 09:15 AM

MX 1 to San Evaristo can be easily done in an afternoon. Turn off is at Constitución.

Then a 2-3 hr drive to La Paz along the coast.

chippy - 11-17-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Your sprinter would be alright, if the road has not been seriously damaged since when I drove it in late January. I drove it in an Isuzu Trooper with slightly oversize tires, and did not need to use four wheel drive.

There was only about ten miles of challenging conditions on the east slope headed down to the sea of Cortez. It is a long, slow drive though, not for someone with a schedule!

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by AKgringo]

We did that drive last week from CC to San Evaristo west to east. The road was as good as I´ve seen it. Never needed 4x4 but going east to west up that grade(that AK mentions) in a sprinter I would want 4w low to walk it up.

brucedog - 11-17-2020 at 10:15 AM

Good info! Gracias :-)

JZ - 11-17-2020 at 12:08 PM

Here is the route around the blockade. This is a really fun and beautiful trip.

If you have time, you can have a panga at San Evaristo take you out to the islands. Cost is only about 2000 pesos and it's well worth it.

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by JZ]

Map with mileages to San Evaristo

David K - 11-17-2020 at 12:57 PM

I went a slightly altered route from El Caporal for 11.4 miles, plus a side trip to look down on the Dolores mission:

gnukid - 11-17-2020 at 02:34 PM

The blockade is likely short lived, it is not designed to cause harm to regular people, supposedly individual citizen cars may pass who have justification to pass, medical issues, families, etc. but commercial vehicles are blocked to provoke response from government to address the concerns of the blockade which are transit related.

Be patient, offer to hare some food or drinks it seems travelers can pass.

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by gnukid]

AKgringo - 11-17-2020 at 03:02 PM

Thinking back on yesterday afternoon, I thought it was odd that four semi's were parked at the OXXO store and gas station at the junction of Mx 1 and the road to San Juan de La Costa.

It never appeared to be a "truck stop" in the past! I suspect that the blockade was cleared last night, judging by the jake brakes sounding off as they rolled past the camp.

The truck traffic seems normal today, but if things change, I will check for some reports from folks who live here.

twogringos - 11-19-2020 at 01:22 PM

Drove through on 11/18 about 3:30. There was nothing at the site of the Monday block (Km 117), and a few dump trucks scattered around Las Pocitas.