BajaNomad

Exchange

liknbaja127 - 11-20-2020 at 07:57 PM

Is there a place in San Felipe, where I can Exchange cash for Peso's? do not
want to stop in Mexicali. We will be passing through there early.
Thanks,

RnR - 11-20-2020 at 08:42 PM

Just use a US bank card at the BanComer branch ATMs in downtown San Felipe.

There are other ATMs scattered around town but I prefer going to BanComer directly and using the ATMs in the lobby.

I use a Wells Fargo card and the final exchange rate including both banks' fees works out to just over 1% off of the internet published international daily exchange rate.

PaulW - 11-21-2020 at 07:18 AM

Multiple cambios around town
The Bancomer machines are always open
The Calimex atm is frequently out of money

DIWR17 - 11-21-2020 at 03:39 PM

Your local bank at home can do it, Get some pesos before you leave. Yes it costs a couple of points but better than use the exchange rate at a Pemex or restaurant.

I found this out when I went to my local Wells Fargo in Frisco(COLORADO) out of the blue and asked could I buy some pesos? Expecting them to say two weeks, yes. They had them on hand.

My experience.

sancho - 11-21-2020 at 05:19 PM

You mentioned 'early', the obvious Casa de Cambios on the
US side at Mexicali West crossing as you approach the border on
Imperial Ave. open around 7 am, must be 7 + of them,
may be a 24 hr. one, don't
know. Aside from the atm's in SF, Calimax market was
mentioned, opens at 8 am I believe. There is one Casa de
Cambio near the malecon in SF, on Chetamal Ave.,
a couple doors off the malecon, I wouldn't bet they would
be open early. I've never got pesos from a US bank that
one has an account with, worth a shot. Sort of a dilemma
if crossing very early

advrider - 11-21-2020 at 06:58 PM

There is a place on the South end of the malacon, across from the blue resort/hotel.

WestyWanderer - 11-21-2020 at 07:04 PM

There are a few exchange places in San Felipe, the easiest one is right down where the main road runs into the malecon, on the right hand side. As you come in to town, go through all 500 stop signs, go straight through the round about, and continue straight, the exchange place is on the right just before the malecon.

I came from San Felipe today and as Sancho said, I would exchange at one of the many cambios in Calexico off the 111 (s. Imperial ave is the street name in town), the rate was about 1 peso per dollar better than in San Felipe. The Mexicali west crossing is wide open and there are no detours, it was real easy to get through town and onto the 5 headed south

liknbaja127 - 11-21-2020 at 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone for all the info we will probably try the Cambio on the
Malecon

Suntan - 11-22-2020 at 03:44 PM

My wife and I have used the Calimax as you enter San Felipe from the North.
They usually have Pesos, except days before and after Race events. When crossing at Mexicali east we have shopped at Walmart and used their ATM. No problems. We use a Capitol #1 ATM card and are not charged a foreign transaction fee. My neighbor used a Charles Schwab card and same deal. I would suggest not to use a bank in the USA to purchase Pesos; you will pay a premium.