BajaNomad

New town signs all over the place!

BajaBlanca - 11-22-2020 at 08:10 PM

Every town in Baja Sur is getting their own new sign! I took these recently when we took Les's daughter and husband to Loreto airport.

My new project is to take a photo in as many as I can!

La Bocana was actually the first village to get one! I cannot find where I put mine so I will use this one with Les's kid and husband from last week.

Please post one from YOUR TOWN!

JZ - 11-22-2020 at 09:05 PM

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing them. Will put the dog in each pic we take of one.

mtgoat666 - 11-23-2020 at 12:52 AM

Why does every town in Mexico have the same sign? Boring, lacking originality. I am getting really tired of these copycat multi-color signs popping up in every town.
Is it part of the corporate sameness demanded by Walmart that requires all to adapt to a uniform standard?
Boring!

TMW - 11-23-2020 at 02:02 AM

They don't have the same sign. Can't you read? By using your logic every CA city has the same name going down the highway. Green with white letters. Get a life.

JZ - 11-23-2020 at 02:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Why does every town in Mexico have the same sign? Boring, lacking originality. I am getting really tired of these copycat multi-color signs popping up in every town.
Is it part of the corporate sameness demanded by Walmart that requires all to adapt to a uniform standard?
Boring!

It's called a "brand." Every brand has a style guide.

shari - 11-23-2020 at 08:09 AM

The signs are a popular tourist attraction I imagine for people to take photos showing where they are visiting...however I gotta say I also think it would be way cooler if each village had a unique type of sign instead of the same old same old design.

There are alot of local projects that could use the funds spent on these signs such as the health clinic, elder care programs, sport teams and better signage. There is no sign on the highway for Bahia Asuncion at all so that would be more useful in my mind.

I'm sure one of these generic signs will be popping up here too and most likely in front of the town beach. The government announced plans to build a town square by the palms which is where the village parties are held in the dirt. The grand plan has it all paved with a malecon type walkway along the new seawall, planters, benches, kiosk etc. like they did in Punta Abreojos.

The seawall & palms the village planted last year look beautiful and a nice town square will be terrific I think. But I hope they dont spoil the natural beauty of the view with a big long gawdie sign....that is 13 letter long!!! Our "brand" is nature in my mind and it pains me to see everybody just doing the same thing. Probably an unpopular opinion.....but mine nonetheless.

pauldavidmena - 11-23-2020 at 02:28 PM

I agree that signs for municipalities probably follow a certain pattern or style guide. That's the case here in Massachusetts, where the style is uniform, but also uniformly dull (IMHO). Here's the sign for entering Wayland, where I lived for 22 years:

Next, the sign for entering the town of Barnstable, where we moved a year and a half ago:

JZ - 11-23-2020 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I agree that signs for municipalities probably follow a certain pattern or style guide. That's the case here in Massachusetts, where the style is uniform, but also uniformly dull (IMHO). Here's the sign for entering Wayland, where I lived for 22 years:

Next, the sign for entering the town of Barnstable, where we moved a year and a half ago:

Each city has it's own signs here. Here is ours.

For Baja, it's better to go uniform given their budgets, etc.

BajaBlanca - 11-23-2020 at 05:35 PM

I guess I hear the beat of a different drum, because I love the signs!

And mind you, they are not inexpensive either. La Bocana had one person sponsor every letter.

Do you know how we choose Most likely to succeed etc. at the end of high school? I won MOST INDIVIDUALISTIC, to my surprise, but I guess they were right!!

BajaBlanca - 11-23-2020 at 05:48 PM

Not Baja but RIO DE JANEIRO. BRAZIL

Theirs says Come to Rio. I have no idea who the lady is ...

elgatoloco - 11-23-2020 at 05:50 PM

We were in South America last year and saw the same types of signs everywhere we went big cities and small. It was ok by me and there always seemed to be a line of people waiting take a photo.