BajaNomad

Covid in Ensenada

lizard lips - 12-13-2020 at 01:22 PM

Just learned that many of my family have the virus now. Most are from my wife's Mexican family. It is really devastating here right now. I took a trip to Punta Banda yesterday and as I passed Costco the parking lot was full as was most places just as it is in non-virus times.

I have a public park directly in front of my home and recently it has become empty.

The police were setting up check points and telling people to wear masks while driving. Apparently it's the law now.

I see it getting much worse than better in the coming month-months.

You all be safe out there!

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2020 at 01:26 PM

Wait until the Christmas/NYE/Chanukah/Pagan, etc. surge peaking mid January. It is supposed to be at its worst then.

[Edited on 12-13-2020 by Ken Cooke]

del mar - 12-13-2020 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Just learned that many of my family have the virus now. Most are from my wife's Mexican family. It is really devastating here right now. I took a trip to Punta Banda yesterday and as I passed Costco the parking lot was full as was most places just as it is in non-virus times.

I have a public park directly in front of my home and recently it has become empty.

The police were setting up check points and telling people to wear masks while driving. Apparently it's the law now.

I see it getting much worse than better in the coming month-months.

You all be safe out there!

yeah the masks while driving seems a bit extreme?

https://bajadock.wordpress.com/2020/12/11/masking-in-cars-me...

Paulina - 12-13-2020 at 06:41 PM

From my experience, the police/check points want to make sure you have a mask handy. Pull up to a red light and there are often vendors right at your window, an issue unless you keep the window rolled up. Many times there isn't a 2 meter (six feet) space between your car window and the passenger in the car beside you. Get fuel, put your mask on when you talk to the attendant. Once again, the rule is to help the public be safe, take care of themselves and each other. It's not such a big deal.

P>*)))>{

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2020 at 02:16 PM

Let me tell you, we have not had anyone come down with the virus but we have had some scares. People absolutely FREAK when they think it is here but they do not take enough precautions.

There are many gatherings. No one uses a mask in the smaller stores.

One of these days it is going to get ugly.

On another note, my husband's best friend's Mom lives in England (as does he) and she is 91. She will be getting her vaccination against covid this Friday!

mtgoat666 - 12-14-2020 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Let me tell you, we have not had anyone come down with the virus but we have had some scares. People absolutely FREAK when they think it is here but they do not take enough precautions.

On another note, my husband's best friend's Mom lives in England (as does he) and she is 91. She will be getting her vaccination against covid this Friday!

I heard that a couple people have died from covid in San Ignacio.

Here in the USA the covid death rate is now one death every 40 seconds.

Vaccine production is still limited, looking like USA won’t be done with majority of vaccinations until late summer 2021. Long time away!

boe4fun - 12-14-2020 at 06:17 PM

Blanca, just heard on the news it’ll take 30 days to develop an immunity from the vaccine shot. And so, we wait. I expect to be able to come down maybe for the Bahía Asunción celebration August 15th, and perhaps a La Paz clinic after that if things work out. (I’ve got a ton of parts/supplies in my garage!)

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2020 at 07:54 PM

I know.

We wait.

Stay safe everyone!

Don Pisto - 12-14-2020 at 08:59 PM

yeah but who's gonna opt for the vaccination? nomads aren't an easy sell.

:lol:

medium Cool - 12-14-2020 at 09:27 PM

definatly a wait and see situation

anyone comprimised in any way should watch there butts, its obvious to me that the rest of us 99% ( who will be perfectly fine ) should take precaution to help the vurnerable, if it means wearing a mask, so be it

I'm curious why we are seeing bill gates on tv talking about this tho, seems over the top wierd, kinda fictional

TMW - 12-14-2020 at 09:44 PM

I don't care if someone doesn't want the vaccine shot as long as I get mine the rest of the dummies can do what they want. Maybe that will cull the herd. Sorry but the world is full of stupid people and they deserve what they get. God will still love them.

mexicali-kid - 12-15-2020 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I don't care if someone doesn't want the vaccine shot as long as I get mine the rest of the dummies can do what they want. Maybe that will cull the herd. Sorry but the world is full of stupid people and they deserve what they get. God will still love them.

I totally agree.

bajatrailrider - 12-15-2020 at 08:13 AM

Northern Baja police now giving fines. For people driving not using masks.

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2020 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mexicali-kid  

I totally agree.

If you are financially secure, got a medical provider and insurance, and live in one of the Wealthy countries, you will probably get a vaccine in short order.

If you are poor in USA and do not have regular medical care/provider, yet to be seen how/if you will get vaccine.

If you live in a poorer country, yet to be seen how/if you will get vaccine

Some people may lack vaccine for reasons other than being anti-vax

msteve1014 - 12-15-2020 at 08:33 AM

I will get the vaccine asap, but not soon, I think.

In the meantime, stop asking gringos to come to small towns in Baja because the kids need pencils.

Be part of the solution, not.........

nbentley1 - 12-15-2020 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I heard that a couple people have died from covid in San Ignacio.

Here in the USA the covid death rate is now one death every 40 seconds.

Vaccine production is still limited, looking like USA won’t be done with majority of vaccinations until late summer 2021. Long time away!

My folks are in the UK as well and get their first shot this week as well.

[Edited on 12-15-2020 by nbentley1]

caj13 - 12-15-2020 at 11:03 AM

I totally agree.

Apparently, Neither of you understand the concept of "herd immunity" - right? Obviously, Vaccines protect you, but what we are really trying to do is mass immunize to produce herd immunity. The whole point of vaccinations is to essentially cut off the pathways for virus transmission, thus protecting the population.

. That means a large % of the population needs to be vaccinated - primarily TO PROTECT THOSE WHO CANNOT FOR SOME REASON RECEIVE THE VACCINE.

YES THE VACCINE PROTECTS YOU, BUT PERHAPS , JUST THIS ONE TIME, YOU COULD THINK ABOUT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMITMENT TO KEEPING OTHERS IN THIS COUNTRY SAFE AS WELL.!

novel Idea I know, watch after your brothers and sisters, do right by them! if only there were some religion that preached and PRACTICED that concept!

[Edited on 12-15-2020 by caj13]

KurtG - 12-15-2020 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

I totally agree.

. That means a large % of the population needs to be vaccinated - primarily TO PROTECT THOSE WHO CANNOT FOR SOME REASON RECEIVE THE VACCINE.

YES THE VACCINE PROTECTS YOU, BUT PERHAPS , JUST THIS ONE TIME, YOU COULD THINK ABOUT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMITMENT TO KEEPING OTHERS IN THIS COUNTRY SAFE AS WELL.!

The two concepts are hardly mutually exclusive. If by being immunized as soon as it is available to me I am protecting others as well as myself then all the better. It means I can feel altruistic while acting in my own self interest. Everybody wins!

BajaMama - 12-16-2020 at 11:14 AM

I'll take the vaccine when it's my turn in line. By that time many will have already taken it so I will feel a little more comfortable about its' safety.

I have to agree with a lot of the above - I don't care anymore about people who refuse to wear a mask or physically distance. Good riddance, we have to thin the stupid out of the gene pool somehow. I am lucky enough to live in a town with very little disease, but after Thanksgiving it is increasing and the entire Bay Area is shut down. I shudder to think of what post Christmas will be like.

In general, how is the spread of covid in Baja?

pacificobob - 12-16-2020 at 12:06 PM

I know.

We wait.

Stay safe everyone!

AND..... lets take this seriously!

eguillermo - 12-18-2020 at 12:45 PM

After agonizing over the decision for way too many hours, I won't be making a trip down over Christmas. Haven't skipped a year since Christmas 2007, and I am really, really going to miss my favorite rituals of camping out in the desert on the solstice and paddling a kayak around the beautiful fishy waters of BCS.

Tipping point for me was hearing dependable reports that one of my favorite beaches was closed to camping, as is Isla Carmen, where I like to paddle out and camp overnight. If those spots are closed, I figure there's a decent chance my other favorite spots are or will be soon.

I'm convinced I could do all the usual activities (camping and paddling alone) quite safely, taking extra care to mask up and distance when provisioning at small stores, but if the authorities disagree, well -- good luck arguing with them, right? Enforcing in-vehicle masking suggests to me that the authorities are becoming prone to overdo it a bit, and you can't argue with that either in the land of the tope. :)

Also, when the state you're coming from has just had two days with around 50K new cases each, maybe you ought to stay put. Yup.

msteve1014 - 12-18-2020 at 02:03 PM

I think you did the right thing. I have a home in BCS that I will not see this year. I was there almost 6 months last year. If you do not need to go, don't. Next year will be better for us all.

Udo - 12-19-2020 at 09:19 AM

What I have read from the wire services is that 70% of the population has to be inoculated in order for the COVID-19 cases to start diminishing. They were citing John Hopkins studies.

BTW, Ensenada does have a lot of cases of COVID, but they are being attended to. Much of the city's citizens are wearing masks, although not covering their noses. I personally know of 5 friends that have had it and recovered (living in Baja, but went for treatment in the US). One is still having mental problems (disorientation, dates, lots of forgetfulness, etc.) two months after the COVID treatment.

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Blanca, just heard on the news it’ll take 30 days to develop an immunity from the vaccine shot. And so, we wait. I expect to be able to come down maybe for the Bahía Asunción celebration August 15th, and perhaps a La Paz clinic after that if things work out. (I’ve got a ton of parts/supplies in my garage!)

BajaMama - 12-21-2020 at 12:05 PM

I'm waiting, too. Who knows what shape the house is in, it has now been a year since dad came back north.

lizard lips - 12-22-2020 at 12:59 PM

Yesterday there was a post on a ex-pats page for Ensenada and someone was asking if it was ok for him and his family to come to Ensenada for a short visit. I replied STAY HOME. I got a lot of flack for that post with people calling me ""Karen" and one guy even said "You must remember all of those in poverty that depend on the tourist dollar and how 20 million Mexicans will lose their jobs Blah, Blah, Blah...

I guess so many just don't get it! The only way to stop the spread is to not go on small vacations and gathering for the holidays with family and friends should not happen this year.

There are those who must work and I get it.

I just read that at the Mexicali General Hospital is so full of virus patients the powers that be decided to convert their parking lot to ICU wards because there is no other place to put those infected.

My son is a physician in Hermosillo and that general hospital is full and they can't take anymore! My son had the virus and he recovered.

Just received word from family and friends that are now infected. Every day there are more and more. I'm not exaggerating.

This virus is out of control here in Ensenada.

Please have a good Christmas and PLEASE stay at home so either you won't infect others or you yourself won't become a victim.

David K - 12-22-2020 at 01:07 PM

Thanks, Dan... an important message.

Bruce R Leech - 12-24-2020 at 12:46 PM

Yesterday there was a post on a ex-pats page for Ensenada and someone was asking if it was ok for him and his family to come to Ensenada for a short visit. I replied STAY HOME. I got a lot of flack for that post with people calling me ""Karen" and one guy even said "You must remember all of those in poverty that depend on the tourist dollar and how 20 million Mexicans will lose their jobs Blah, Blah, Blah...

I guess so many just don't get it! The only way to stop the spread is to not go on small vacations and gathering for the holidays with family and friends should not happen this year. I have to agree with the ellipse on this one

There are those who must work and I get it.

I just read that at the Mexicali General Hospital is so full of virus patients the powers that be decided to convert their parking lot to ICU wards because there is no other place to put those infected.

My son is a physician in Hermosillo and that general hospital is full and they can't take anymore! My son had the virus and he recovered.

Just received word from family and friends that are now infected. Every day there are more and more. I'm not exaggerating.

This virus is out of control here in Ensenada.

Please have a good Christmas and PLEASE stay at home so either you won't infect others or you yourself won't become a victim.

I have to agree with the lips on this one

clubfred - 12-28-2020 at 11:20 AM

I guess so many just don't get it! The only way to stop the spread is to not go on small vacations and gathering for the holidays with family and friends should not happen this year.

I feel this.

I made one post, several months ago, on the Facebook group Talk Baja, simply asking how Mexican citizens living in Baja feel about tourists visiting during the pandemic and I was instantly attacked. (I live on a small island in Canada that depends a great deal on tourism and the locals did NOT want tourists this year, despite the economic hardship). I was not prepared for the level of anger and hate. I've avoided that group ever since.

I would LOVE to be in Baja right now. I'd love to be fishing, visiting friends, bringing some school goodies to Blanca, etc., but I want this virus under control, so I'm staying home in the cold and wet and dark. (I attended my first virtual memorial last week, for a friend in California that died from Covid. Sobering and surreal.)

There must be ways that folks can help from afar. I'd be happy to share links people can donate to online to help out organizations in Baja.