BajaNomad

Mexicali 1 Mexicali 2 online FMM?

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 08:06 AM

I am a permanent Mexican resident but my wife and son are not. I want to do online forms for them.

Entering Baja for the first time @ Mexicali. The online form does not refer to the two gates as East and West. The form refers to Mexicali 1 and Mexicali 2.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

I plan on using the West gate, is that #1 or #2? I don't know that it really matters since we usually stop at the immigration office in GN to get stamps. I'm pulling a 25' trailer and have no desire to stop and get a stamp at the crossing.

Regards to all

Bajazly - 1-16-2021 at 08:32 AM

Crossing west is super easy to stop and get an FMM. Double park all the way to the left in front of the parking lot, before you go thru the gates, run in and done.

PaulW - 1-16-2021 at 08:33 AM

Don't bother with online because you still have to stop at the border for activation of the FMM. Only takes a few minutes to get the FMM at the border. All you need is money and a PP at the border.

AKgringo - 1-16-2021 at 08:41 AM

The west gate is #1.

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The west gate is #1.

Thank you AK. and to others. I have read descriptions on BN about the park and get it plan, but it would be nice to avoid the extra step of gong to the bank and paying and then returning to the Immigration office. Is the bank even open at 5:30 AM?

It used to be that you could wait until GN to get it. Is this not the case anymore?

Thanks again for all the advice.

AKgringo - 1-16-2021 at 08:59 AM

The bank was not open when I crossed, but no problem, the guy issuing the FMM took the cash and stamped it. Make sure you already have some pesos to keep it simple.

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 09:05 AM

Thanks again AK,

The double park and get it over with would be plan A.

Just in case Plan A does not work out for whatever reason, is getting it in GN still a viable plan B these days?

Regards

[Edited on 16-1-2021 by Bajabus]

AKgringo - 1-16-2021 at 09:11 AM

I never knew that Guerrero Negro was ever a possibility!

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I never knew that Guerrero Negro was ever a possibility!

Its how we always used to do it. Admittedly, last time we drove down was 2014.

David K - 1-16-2021 at 09:16 AM

You must get the FMM at the border... and the INM officer can take the money if the bank window IN the INM building is closed. No more looking for a bank nearby.

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You must get the FMM at the border... and the INM officer can take the money if the bank window IN the INM building is closed. No more looking for a bank nearby.

Thanks for the response David.

Bob and Susan - 1-16-2021 at 09:56 AM

just do it all at the border...nothing in advance

the inm office in guerrero negro has been closed quite a while

sancho - 1-16-2021 at 10:10 AM

Mex Imm, at times, takes delight in not accepting online fmm's,
from not printing out an online reicept, info has to be exact
as on the Passport, I imagine they can come up with others,
get it at the border

mtgoat666 - 1-16-2021 at 10:16 AM

Don’t do online fmm. It is easy-peasy to get the form at border and fill it in, pay, get stamped, and be on your way.

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone. Looks like Plan A is the best plan.

And am I assuming correctly that the right most lanes at the West gate is my smoothest option to get on 5 South? Keeping in mind I'm pulling a 25' trailer?

David K - 1-16-2021 at 11:12 AM

The INM parking is on the left.

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 11:20 AM

Of course it would be on the left. Murphy strikes again.

David K - 1-16-2021 at 11:25 AM

:light: Have a nice drive, Max!

WestyWanderer - 1-16-2021 at 11:48 AM

Not that you need another opinion, but doing it online is super easy and it speeds up the process. How long are you staying in Baja? If it’s less than 7 days you can get a free FMM but that must be done online, they no longer offer free FMM’s in the office (according to the INM officer at Mexicali West when I crossed two months ago). If you are getting the longer one you can pay online and everything. Still have to stop for the stall, but it’s a quick few minutes to scan, verify, and stamp and you’re on your way.

WestyWanderer - 1-16-2021 at 12:02 PM

Bajabus it doesn’t matter what lane you are in, as of two months ago (it’s been changing by the day lately though) all lanes led south. The southbound crossing changed maybe a year and a half ago and it takes you a different route. It’s well signed so follow the signs. Even when they have had detours the detours have all been well signed (shocking I know)

Bajazly - 1-16-2021 at 12:14 PM

Just don't follow the FIRST San Felipe arrow to the right, it's a couple miles in +/-. Other than that it is pretty straight forward esp if you are looking at a gps.

AKgringo - 1-16-2021 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Just don't follow the FIRST San Felipe arrow to the right, it's a couple miles in +/-. Other than that it is pretty straight forward esp if you are looking at a gps.

Yeah, I screwed up and followed that sign! It wasn't a total waste of time, I found a store to top off my food and ice supply, but it was no fun finding my way back to the correct route.

So the route is welled signed, including some that don't help you!

Bajabus - 1-16-2021 at 02:23 PM

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions. They were all greatly appreciated

David K - 1-16-2021 at 02:36 PM

When we went south with Cameron in 2019, his fast way from the new Mexicali West crossing was to turn left where the sign for Tijuana turns right (and San Felipe is signed straight). We went left a short distance to the original San Felipe route. Seemed great and no confusion.

RnR - 1-16-2021 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

Of course it would be on the left. Murphy strikes again.

The immigration and customs building is on the left after you cross into Mexico.

There is head in stall parking under a shade cover for normal vehicles to park and go into the building.

There is a 'red curb' area long enough for your truck/trailer combo immediately after crossing and before and adjacent to the covered parking area on the left. Park here if it is empty or double park behind some of the stall parking. Don't worry about the red curb - the officials do not seem to care. I have parked here with a trailer the last two times. An official has walked over, greeted me, and pointed me in the right direction to walk into the IMM/Customs building.

If this 'red curb' area is not available, there is lots of room all the way over on the far right. Room for half a dozen trailers. Only problem is that you have to cross five or six lanes to get back to the left side to get into the building. The easiest way to cross the lanes is to walk up to lane dividers and come across at the dividers, one lane at a time. Better than trying to cross all six lanes at once on foot.

My guess is that the traffic will be fairly sparse at 5:30 in the morning. We have come across at 10:00 am the last two times and traffic was also very light. Last crossing was mid Nov, 2020.

Good Luck