BajaNomad

Renewing a TIP for a boat

ncampion - 1-26-2021 at 02:57 PM

The 10 year TIP for my boat will be expiring in 2021. does anyone know if it's possible to renew it without physically removing the boat from Baja? I just can't bear the idea of trailering a 26' boat up to the border then turning around and bringing it back down to Loreto just to get a new TIP.

Hook - 1-26-2021 at 11:48 PM

I just renewed mine about two weeks ago. It was the second renewal for the boat.

I went to a branch of Banjercito in Guaymas, Sonora.

What was required:

Passport
current Visa (mine is a tourist visa)
the old TIP sticker
the old TIP paperwork
CURRENT boat registration in the States (I'm a US citizen)
Mexican cash (credit card not allowed and US cash not allowed)

It was really very easy. The Guaymas office maintains an English speaking person to assist, but it was really a matter of handing him the above items.

BTW, mine was 2.5 years expired. No visible penalty on the receipt. Total cost was 1211 pesos, which included the IVA tax that I dont believe I was charged ten years ago. Well, 12.5 years ago, actually.

There was no need to take the boat anywhere or show pics of it in Mexico or anything. There was a short questionnaire on what is on your boat. Most of it was stuff on really BIG boats (like stove, washer and dryer, etc.). The only things I checked affirmatively was a navigation system and a sonar.

I did bring the title but it wasnt necessary. But if you have it, bring it. I guess requirements could vary from branch to branch, much like the INM offices seem to have different rules.

JZ - 1-27-2021 at 12:51 AM

I think you can do it online.

Try here:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#

[Edited on 1-27-2021 by JZ]

ncampion - 1-27-2021 at 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did the original via the on line route and it sounds like Hooks recommendation can be done in La Paz. Appreciate the help.

JZ - 1-27-2021 at 11:16 AM

Good luck. I also renewed mine in Guaymas once as Hook did.

Hook - 1-27-2021 at 12:08 PM

I doubt that a renewal could be done on line. They really seemed to want the old paperwork and the old sticker.

Plus, I thought you had to have the TIP sent to an address outside of Mexico, if you apply on line. I could be wrong there.

BTW, there is no sticker, this time around. Not even any fancy paper that looks like a title. Just typical computer paper print out. They DO ask for an email address and send you a copy in case you lose the paperwork (which you do leave with). I specifically asked if I needed to carry any paperwork on the boat and the guy said NO.

Grenadiers - 1-27-2021 at 03:08 PM

I did a TIP online, no mention of a sticker. Is there a requirement for one? If so, can I take my paperwork to get one?

Don Jorge - 1-27-2021 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Grenadiers  
I did a TIP online, no mention of a sticker. Is there a requirement for one? If so, can I take my paperwork to get one?

I did the TIP on my boat last December in Otay. No sticker was issued and since my last boat did have a sticker issued with it's TIP I asked about the sticker. They told me the stickers are neither issued nor required nowadays which explains why you did not get a sticker.