BajaNomad

San Evaristo - info - ?

elskel - 2-6-2021 at 08:07 AM

Hey All: Anyone traveled to San Evaristo area from La Paz recently? Thinking of heading that way to camp and fish next week. The road fairly decent? Any recommendations for camping? I have never been up that way. Going to tow my quad up. Someone was telling me a guy is now renting a small primitive casita as you enter the village, anyone with info? As for fishing, looks like some nice rocky areas. Thanks for any feedback.

David K - 2-6-2021 at 08:46 AM

Was there in 2017... A cantina/cafe (Lupe Sierra's & Maggi Mae's) is just before entering the village, popular with the Baja Divide bike riders.

https://www.facebook.com/sierraslupe

Here is a village Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SanEvaristoBcs

My August 2017 trip report with San Evaristo photo: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323

chippy - 2-6-2021 at 10:13 AM

Not real recent but I was there in nov. I camped in a couple of remote spots south of town. One sandy and one rocky. If you are camping solo you might want to be near the village and then quad around. I didn´t feel safe doing that in the remote spots.

Lots of fishing potential.I did ok on cabrilla. You´ll be able to fish more spots than I did(no quad:().

The road was fine.

[Edited on 2-6-2021 by chippy]

JZ - 2-6-2021 at 10:42 AM

You can have a panga take you out to Isla San Jose and Isla San Francisco for about 1,800 pesos.

JZ - 2-6-2021 at 10:51 AM

defrag4 - 2-6-2021 at 11:25 AM

road in good shape from a recent report from my friend, plenty of spots for boondocking and fishing, have fun!

AKgringo - 2-6-2021 at 11:51 AM

Depending on what you are driving, and how you feel about backroads, you might consider doing a loop instead of driving back on the same road.

The shot JZ posted shows the road to the west. It has been a year since I drove it, but I would consider it a rugged two wheel drive road. All of the rough, slow going would be in the first five miles, then it is a pretty good road.

elskel - 2-6-2021 at 02:00 PM

Right on, Thanks for the quick responses. Looking forward to the trip. I would love to do the loop, back to my house in El Pescadero, but I will be towing my utility trailer with quad. Better to do without the trailer. Weather looks nice next week, wind down. Anymore info greatly appreciated. bk

David K - 2-6-2021 at 02:27 PM

Don't recommend pulling the trailer up the mountain to loop out via Soledad... Have a fun time!

With some mileages...

Dolores Mileages-1.jpg - 242kB

JZ - 2-6-2021 at 05:02 PM

Here is the bay at Isla San Francisco. It's about 10 miles from San Evaristo.

JZ - 2-6-2021 at 05:04 PM

Dense cactus field just South of San Evaristo.

JZ - 2-6-2021 at 05:08 PM

The road to San Evaristo.

elskel - 2-6-2021 at 06:16 PM

Wow, thanks for the photos, looks great! Can't wait to check out next week. Find a few fish and take in the area. Tight lines bk
Keep the info coming

bajarich - 2-6-2021 at 08:02 PM

We got our fresh fish from Lupe Sierra's &Maggie Mae's restraurant. We ordered fish taco's, he went out back and filleted a fish for us, and when we were done eating he gave us the rest of the fillets from the fish. I think he was headed into LaPaz to see his family. Nice guy. We gave him a big tip.

We camped in an aroyo on the north end of the bay.

For fishing, ask for Ivan (pronounced Eban) he is a fisherman there I met years ago at Los Frailes. His family had come down there the year there were 500 fisherman at the fishcamp. He was just a young boy at that time. I looked him up when I was in San Evaristo in 2017.

JZ - 2-7-2021 at 01:39 AM

elskel - 2-7-2021 at 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info, anyone fish some of the rocky / structure areas out there? thanks, bk

bajamary1952 - 2-8-2021 at 12:13 PM

How is the road from La Paz to there? Is it bumpy?

David K - 2-8-2021 at 04:56 PM

It is paved to San Juan de la Costa and a well-graded dirt road or dirt highway on to San Evaristo. Bumpy depends on you vehicle's suspension! It is Baja... and what would Baja be without some bumps along the way? :biggrin:

These two maps don't quite touch but are close... The third image shows the missing gap as well as the overall road view.

San Evaristo-La Paz.jpg - 301kB

JZ - 2-9-2021 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
How is the road from La Paz to there? Is it bumpy?

It's not bad at all.

We've even done a couple day trips up from LA Paz. San Evaristo itself is okay. The drive and the islands are what make it special.

[Edited on 2-9-2021 by JZ]