BajaNomad

Covid test costs

capitolkat - 2-16-2021 at 10:14 AM

A neighbor from Long Beach just spent a few weeks at her home in La Paz. Due to new requirements on return to the US she had to get a negative Covid test before returning to the US. She went to a lab across the street from the Salvaterria Hospital. She was charged $250USD, which shocked me. I wonder if this is the Gringo price or if anyone has other options or knowledge of what a Covid test should cost.???

JZ - 2-16-2021 at 10:23 AM

Not Baja, but read this yesterday from Cozemul.

"Testing was done by a doctor coming to our condo. $80 US. Test results came back in 24 hrs."

$250 sounds ridiculous.

surabi - 2-16-2021 at 10:25 AM

They are being done at the airport. With proof of flight reservation 950 pesos for antibody test, around 1450 for PCR. Your neighbor paid far more than she needed to, but it likely isn't the 'Gringo Price' but because it was a private lab.

del mar - 2-16-2021 at 10:52 AM

up here in rosarito/playas area 800-1000 pesos. the Roma pharmacy offers some kind of test in the 60 peso range, I doubt if it has any value but you get a profession looking read out if you need it for work

karenintx - 2-16-2021 at 10:56 AM

Just paid 450 pesos @ SJD airport for the rapid test.

Results sent to my email address, showed it to the ticket agent THEN I was allowed to check-in my luggage.

Start to finish for the test was under 30 minutes.

Ramblinman - 2-18-2021 at 03:08 PM

Laboratory Nunez across from the Police Station in Loreto was substantially cheaper that other locations. I had a Spanish speaking friend book the appointment for us.

shari - 2-18-2021 at 05:52 PM

here in Guerrero Negro, a lab does both the nasal and blood tests for between 800-1,200 pesos with results a few hours later.

Skipjack Joe - 2-18-2021 at 06:47 PM

At Vizcaino they charged me 1200 pesos and my Mexican neighbor 1050. Same lab. That was the nose swab test. No blood was drawn. But even aP PCR test should not come to $350 US. So yes, she got took.

Hook - 2-18-2021 at 08:17 PM

It's very difficult to compare prices if you arent specific about the type of test being described. For instance, there is more than one nose swab test; the very reliable PCR test and the antigen test.

Most any blood test is an antibody test. This is not a test that is used to tell if a person is currently infected; only if they have been infected in the past.

The highest that a PCR test has been in our area of Sonora is 3500 pesos. But prices have been coming down, possibly due to competition between labs. Now a PCR test can be had for 2500 pesos. Results in 12-36 hours.

An antigen test is running between 1200-1500 pesos. Results in 8-24 hours. Less accurate than a PCR. If you have Covid symptoms, get an antigen test and the results are negative, it is recommended that you get a PCR test, as a follow-up.

Not sure about antibody tests. No one I know is getting them. Quick results, according to sales info from the labs I have seen. Right around 1000 pesos.

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2021 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by capitolkat  
A neighbor from Long Beach just spent a few weeks at her home in La Paz. Due to new requirements on return to the US she had to get a negative Covid test before returning to the US. She went to a lab across the street from the Salvaterria Hospital. She was charged $250USD, which shocked me. I wonder if this is the Gringo price or if anyone has other options or knowledge of what a Covid test should cost.???

Gringo price. Here in USA socal we get workers tested at occupational med clinics for $70 to $100 per test. Should be cheaper in Mexico.